NPD Software sales from a Nintendo presentation

The decline in Xbox1 software sales is *probably* due to the lack of software being produced for the console, and the fact it's no longer being sold ;).

Yes, sure, fine, the downfall of Xbox1 games isn't in any way related to the rise in 360 sales, and this combines with a stable amount of Xbox software sold is all just purely coincidential.

Whatever you are accusing me of though, you are also accusing Nintendo of. The ffing chart is callled sales transitions, and their point is showing their investors what Wii is doing in 2007 (i.e. gaining market share). If you are disputing the figures in the chart, then say so, but until you do, you can't really object to at least pointing those figures out as facts. If you think my interpretation is so far fetched, fine. Whatever. I've stated my case.

Nintendo is claiming that all their customers are old GCN owners and that the wii will top out at ~20 million? I must have missed that press release.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a lot better to compare things like how Madden's yearly sales are divided between various platforms.

Without that free game the Wii might not be the phenom it is today. Including Wii Sports was a brilliant move by Nintendo, it create an instant identity for the console which appealed to the demographics they were targeting.

I realise that, I was actually thinking about that possibility when I posted. However I was only referring to games sold per user.

Obviously I'm sure Nintendo won't regret including Wii Sports free for a minute considering Wii sold more games then any other console in its first 9 months.

As one multiplatform developer put it, "As much [they] try to convince people that its software numbers are ok, they aren't, that is unless you are Nintendo. If those same third party million sellers launched today, instead of being launch titles...I would almost guarantee they wouldn't break 300-500k (still good/great numbers)".

What is that even supposed to mean though? I mean obviously those third party games wouldn't have sold as much if released now, they're quite average to poor games after all. They really never deserved to sell well never mind over 1 million copies. They only ever sold that well because they had no competition at the time..

What is that even supposed to mean though? I mean obviously those third party games wouldn't have sold as much if released now, they're quite average to poor games after all. They really never deserved to sell well never mind over 1 million copies. They only ever sold that well because they had no competition at the time..

I think it basically says the same thing that Nintendo has been stuck with for years, their hardware only moves Nintendo titles and that the launch titles were a somewhat unique opportunity which doesn't look to reoccur.

I'm not convinced that a 3rd party can't sell software on the wii, but it seems they would need to dramatically refocus for that audience and essentially 'out mario' Nintendo. I expect many major developers will just ignore the platform aside from ports unless there's a dramatic turn around in the willingness of the user base to move outside what seems to be selling.

Yes, sure, fine, the downfall of Xbox1 games isn't in any way related to the rise in 360 sales, and this combines with a stable amount of Xbox software sold is all just purely coincidential.

Whatever you are accusing me of though, you are also accusing Nintendo of. The ffing chart is callled sales transitions, and their point is showing their investors what Wii is doing in 2007 (i.e. gaining market share). If you are disputing the figures in the chart, then say so, but until you do, you can't really object to at least pointing those figures out as facts. If you think my interpretation is so far fetched, fine. Whatever. I've stated my case.

I'm not disputing the figures in the chart at all. If you feel I did, please point out where. What I did point out was that you said

Arwin said:
But it's a good reminder that what some people expected and others have disagreed with, the fact is that so far a considerable amount (or in the case of 360 nearly all) of the next-gen sales are replacing old gen sales of the same brand.

This "fact" is not a fact, and you can't extract this information as fact from the data provided. You can infer it, and build a case around it, but you can't say it's a fact. It's not a personal attack, so please, don't get so insulted. Not sure why this is such an issue for you.

What the chart says to me is
  • PS2 market is shrinking (expected)
  • 360 is 2nd biggest buyer of games (expected)
  • Wii had the best year 1 of all the machines in software sales (kind of surprising)
Any other inferences you're trying to draw - like you stating the PS3 has the best potential future based on this data - is, at best, a guess... though in my mind it's just wishful thinking.

Nintendo is claiming that all their customers are old GCN owners and that the wii will top out at ~20 million? I must have missed that press release.

No, Nintendo is showing the opposite, that the Wii has started sellling beyond it's GameCube database, and its started to both eat into PS2 market and grow the market in general. I'm sure most analysts present at the presentation got that message loud and clear.

As for the rest, if you paid any attention to the first chart at all, you'd see that the Xbox was a clear 2nd in terms of sales in 2005 as well. Only your last comment, Paranoia, is where I'm inferring things based on the data presented. Obviously, 360 and Wii are going to try to win some of the PS2's market share, as in terms of next-gen software sales, that market is still up for grabs. If anything the PS3 has shown, its lateness has allowed the other two to fairly comfortably migrate their markets to next-gen, without having had to fear too much of losing market share to Sony. Now the battle for the PS2 user base begins, and Sony will have a harder time to bring its existing user base to the PS3.

The only point where I think there is room for disagreement is whether or not Nintendo's and Microsoft's next-gen sales transition is any kind of indication for Sony's next-gen sales transition potential. I'm saying yes, you're saying no. Let's agree to disagree then, and come back here next year.

As for the rest, if you paid any attention to the first chart at all, you'd see that the Xbox was a clear 2nd in terms of sales in 2005 as well. Only your last comment, Paranoia, is where I'm inferring things based on the data presented. Obviously, 360 and Wii are going to try to win some of the PS2's market share, as in terms of next-gen software sales, that market is still up for grabs. If anything the PS3 has shown, its lateness has allowed the other two to fairly comfortably migrate their markets to next-gen, without having had to fear too much of losing market share to Sony. Now the battle for the PS2 user base begins, and Sony will have a harder time to bring its existing user base to the PS3.
The point is that you cannot prove or disprove what you say using that chart. The only thing it proves is the following:
  • Xbox Sales 2005 ~= Xbox + 360 Sales 2007 (MS software share stays about equal)
  • GC Sales 2005 < Wii Sales 2007 (Nintendo software shares grows)

You seem to think that the people who bought GC games in 2005 are now responsible for the Wii sales, and that the people who bought Xbox games in 2005 are now responsible for the Xbox + 360 2007 sales.

If I would pose some other explanation that would fit the chart, such as that the group who bought software in 2005 has stopped buying games, and a whole new group of people are responsible for 2007 software sales, noone would be able to disprove that claim either, based on that chart alone.

One explanation might be more likely than the other, but you cannot prove either using this data.

I'm not convinced that a 3rd party can't sell software on the wii, but it seems they would need to dramatically refocus for that audience and essentially 'out mario' Nintendo. I expect many major developers will just ignore the platform aside from ports unless there's a dramatic turn around in the willingness of the user base to move outside what seems to be selling.

Incidentally, Capcom just released a press release that RE4 Wii shipped a million units. If a game in its third release (after PS2 and GCN) can do that, other publishers should be able to achieve that as well...

The point is that you cannot prove or disprove what you say using that chart. The only thing it proves is the following:
  • Xbox Sales 2005 ~= Xbox + 360 Sales 2007 (MS software share stays about equal)
  • GC Sales 2005 < Wii Sales 2007 (Nintendo software shares grows)

Agreed so far.

You seem to think that the people who bought GC games in 2005 are now responsible for the Wii sales, and that the people who bought Xbox games in 2005 are now responsible for the Xbox + 360 2007 sales.

"But it's a good reminder that what some people expected and others have disagreed with, the fact is that so far a considerable amount (or in the case of 360 nearly all) of the next-gen sales are replacing old gen sales of the same brand. Even if I'm wrong and next years sales aren't going to be related to these charts in any way and everything will completely change by then, that fact, undisputably visible in these charts, remains. Whatever value you choose to attach to it is up to you."

If I would pose some other explanation that would fit the chart, such as that the group who bought software in 2005 has stopped buying games, and a whole new group of people are responsible for 2007 software sales, noone would be able to disprove that claim either, based on that chart alone.

Nope. Very true. I've been reading back and I think most of the time, as above, I've talked about software sales, not consumers. Whenever I did talk about consumers, then true I was inferring and this is not in any way an absolute fact in the data.

One explanation might be more likely than the other, but you cannot prove either using this data.

Not in absolute terms no. But I'm still convinced Nintendo's message came across to its intended audience.

AlphaWolf said:
I think it basically says the same thing that Nintendo has been stuck with for years, their hardware only moves Nintendo titles and that the launch titles were a somewhat unique opportunity which doesn't look to reoccur.

Quoted for irony.

Incidentally, Capcom just released a press release that RE4 Wii shipped a million units. If a game in its third release (after PS2 and GCN) can do that, other publishers should be able to achieve that as well...

I can't wait for halo2 on the wii.

"But it's a good reminder that what some people expected and others have disagreed with, the fact is that so far a considerable amount (or in the case of 360 nearly all) of the next-gen sales are replacing old gen sales of the same brand. Even if I'm wrong and next years sales aren't going to be related to these charts in any way and everything will completely change by then, that fact, undisputably visible in these charts, remains. Whatever value you choose to attach to it is up to you."

Stop calling it an undisputible fact... your continuous claims do not make it so. It's like arguing with a 4 year old. It's clearly disputable. The total sales have actually risen so there's definitely more than replacement going on.

Quoted for irony.

And what would be ironic about it? All of the biggest selling wii titles are first party, yes?

Arwin,

The most likely inference that you could make is that xbox owners are the most loyal to the brand.

According to Capcom the GC version sold about 1.6 million worldwide, while the PS2 version sold 2 million worldwide (both sold to retailer). They've yet to publish Wii sales numbers.

Interestingly, I'm sure RE4 would have been much better received if it had been a PS2 title from the beginning. At the time when Nintendo shockingly revealed that they're taking the series exclusively to GameCube - many fans followed them there - and many others remained bitter and got a PS2. When the port finally reached the PS2 - I suspect many of the fans simply moved on and couldn't be bothered anymore. I was one of them... :???:

On the other hand, a total sale of 3.6 million perhaps isn't that bad for Capcom considering their decisions...

@Shifty: yes!

Back