Anisotropic filtering and S3 texture compression

sfried

Regular
I know this might sound stupid, but does using S3TC in textures lead to some "automatic" anisotropic filtering of anykind, or is S3TC just implemented as to not tax the graphics card while using anisotropic filtering? I know this question might seem outdated, but it stil bugs me.

Well, I suppose the substancially lower bandwidth requirement of S3TC versus all other texture formats may help getting good throughput with single cycle trilinear, but other than that I don't see anything in particular in S3TC that would particularly help with filtering compared to other formats.

when the texture is being filtered it has been decompressed anyway. as for the single cycle trilinear, it's a matter of having filtering units designed for it (working on more sample at once). Besides old S3 cards, geforce 1 (I think) and G80 do that.

I could be wrong, but I thought it helped them do single cycle trilinear.
To my knowledge, only PowerVR's Kyro had that specific (i.e. single cycle S3TC/DXT1 trilinear) feature, although early S3 chips had a generic "single cycle trilinear" approximation for all formats.

Back