Nintendo official Wii worldwide sales revealed (10/25)

chris100

Newcomer
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2007/071025.pdf

Until 2007/09/30,Wii WW sales exceeded 13.17m.
Now we can safely assume that Wii WW sales is more than 14m now.

ntdoy20071025.gif

One of the most interesting thing is the Tie Ratios that can be calculated from these numbers.

Japan - 3.24
The Americas - 5.13 (6.13 with Wii Sports included)
Other - 4.06 (5.06 with Wii Sports included)

Seems Americans really like to buy a lot more games and also is showing that it appears sales are a lot more spread out across multiple titles instead of big titles on the Wii as is seen more on the 360.

DS Tie Ratios for comparison as well

Japan - 4.82
The Americas - 5.13
Other - 4.58

Numbers here are a lot more uniform.

Edit: Oh and something that really shows the crazyiness of how fast the Wii is getting shipped out there look at how its shipment numbers compare to almost any other console you can think of in this graph from JoshuaJSlone at GAF.

http://joshuajamesslone.name/gamech...stemregion[6]=Xbox_WW&systemregion[7]=X360_WW

Edit 2: Should note those are based on shipped numbers and while Wii's are selling out more or so. You can't really say the same for software.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody gonna throw Sony's 2Q numbers up? I dont want to do it.

They sold 1.3 million PS3's to retail and lost $810 million in gaming.

I dunno, the numbers show to me like a $700 loss per PS3 or something. I mean, they "sold to retail" 1.3m, and the rest of their gaming div is PS2 and PSP which should both be profitable so..meaning they lost something more than $810m on PS3.

Anybody gonna throw Sony's 2Q numbers up? I dont want to do it.

They sold 1.3 million PS3's to retail and lost $810 million in gaming.

I think that $841M loss is realted to the first half of their financial year, which would give us 2.02M PS3s sold to retail. Still gives us $400 lost (and if you assume they aremaking money on PSP and PS2, that gives us even more). Perhaps some of their loses are related to their huge Worlwide Studios which didn't give much revenue in the first half of the (financial) year.

I think that $841M loss is realted to the first half of their financial year, which would give us 2.02M PS3s sold to retail. Still gives us $400 lost (and if you assume they aremaking money on PSP and PS2, that gives us even more). Perhaps some of their loses are related to their huge Worlwide Studios which didn't give much revenue in the first half of the (financial) year.

No it is one quarter.

Well, I think we can agree one thing's for sure

Vgchartz guy needs to update his worldwide Wii sales numbers!!!
:LOL:

You've got to hand it to Nintendo, they came up with an incredibly healthy business model and executed on it wonderfully. I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii is already more than braking even including development costs already in its first year, which whichever way you look at it is an incredible achievement, and the DS, well, clearly there was a way to expand the Gameboy audience, and they've managed to find it! Again, great job.

Guess this should put to rest the notion that Nintendo is deliberately holding back supply for a christmas launch. These ship #s are unprecedented.

Actually, Iwata recently said that Wii production was up to 1.8 millions per month. So it seems that they are indeed stockpiling some Wiis for the holiday season. Right now, the Wii is easily available in Europe (altough every sales number we get, as well as Nintendo official report indicates that demand in EU is still high), still supply-constrained to some extent in the US, and readily available in Japan, with demand having dropped in the last few weeks.

Yea, but when did they get to the 1.8 million per month figure? Their production rates have been ramping all year long. See what I'm getting at with regard to your statement about stockpiling Wii's?

Wii is available now in the UK (as in you can at least find one now if you look around a few stores), but I still see plenty of stores with "Wii sold out again" signs.

Back