PS3 Strategy/Confidence Retrospective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering that Transfomers has probably sold about as many DVDs on its own as the all time BR and HD DVD sales combined, I'd say that it's still far too early to make any conclusions....

Yes, most people hold this view. In general, both HD-DVD forum and BDA have fared badly in promoting HD. The names carry no meaning/value to most of the consumers, but they still keep harping their names all the time.

What Sony could do is to introduce another reason for people to buy PS3 as a DVD/Blu-ray player, if they are not afraid of losing more money initially. Since PS Eye can see better than regular webcams in the dark, I wonder if it's possible to do a remote-less PS Eye UI (e.g., like Apple's "Cover Flow" to forward, rewind, playback movies and select scenes).

Then pimp Blu-ray to future proof the PS3 player, and integrate with the new UI better (than regular DVDs). Everyone whether they own HDTV or not, should understand the value better.

Moving forward, I suspect MS and Toshiba will likely take the interactivity route further too.

So YTD is 2 to 1 with LTD being about 3 to 2 and current being almost 1:1.

Is it true Nielsen doesn't cover Walmart? Seems odd since Walmart isn't insignificant. I heard on the radio that while Britney Spears was herald as #1 with 300,000 copies sold last week, Walmart reported that the new Eagles album sold close to 800,000 copies last week and is sold only through Walmart and associated stores.

Walmart in general does not provide/sell sales data. So I think it's true. The weekly numbers changes wildly these days. It was 7-9:1 (not very sure now) one to two weeks before Transformer release. This week and may be next, the Blu-ray number will most likely rise again due to Ratatouille.

I was just being nice. Really, if the presentation does anything it is show how incredibly important the HDD is. But I guess that with the Core unit, all MS now needs is an innovative controller to still get some use out of it. ;)

(just teasing)

I would have thought doubling the sales of the only machine with a standard HDD every month while making more profit got them "some use out of it" ;)
(just teasing)

When are analysts predicting the PS3 will surpass the 360 in worldwide sales? I have read a few in the past but haven't seen the more recent estimates. Thanks.

When are analysts predicting the PS3 will surpass the 360 in worldwide sales? I have read a few in the past but haven't seen the more recent estimates. Thanks.

{crickets}

I think at this point, it will be near impossible to catch up, hence this thread.

They are doing a good job of trying to keep their head above water though with the recent 40gb model. Hopefully they have enough system seller software lined up that can keep them in the game.

Q (X502XDOWNEY): Why is the blood in the single player so much better(especially the headshots) than in multiplayer? I know that none of you know the answer and the IW guys will probably never read this but I thought I would still try.

A (IW_STONEPILOT): Disc space,my friend. As much you'd like to think that we can put infinite features in a game we do only have so much space on a disc. so we have to decide what adds more to the fun factor and what is minimal. Plus there's enough blood already.

This are the type of thing I don't get. If the problem was disc space, why not make the PS3 version look better? It does not have disc space issues. Publishers don't make better games on the PS3 simply because they don't want too (if the problem was in fact disc space).
Publishers should start to put add-ons on the BR disc, like "making-of videos", and other extras. But I guess this would be the death of the XBox...
I don't think the reason for this blood thing was disc space. Seems more logical that this was related with frame rate issues.
I'm a computer programmer myself, and have made some games in the past, how much disc space would take that blood? Why not use the same as in the SP campain?
Well, maybe I'm thinking wrong...

This are the type of thing I don't get. If the problem was disc space, why not make the PS3 version look better? It does not have disc space issues. Publishers don't make better games on the PS3 simply because they don't want too (if the problem was in fact disc space).
Publishers should start to put add-ons on the BR disc, like "making-of videos", and other extras. But I guess this would be the death of the XBox...
I don't think the reason for this blood thing was disc space. Seems more logical that this was related with frame rate issues.
I'm a computer programmer myself, and have made some games in the past, how much disc space would take that blood? Why not use the same as in the SP campain?

It does sound fishy..

Especially considering they have it in the sigle player so surely the same resources on the disc would be used to enable the effects in the same game but only a separate play mode?:???:

What they are saying is that they cut the development of some features/content because of the disc. They didn't finish their development (so they couldn't include them in the PS3 version) but I suppose that will eventually release them as download content, Call of Duty 1 and 2 for PC had expansions.

It would be very cheap to add a second "extras" disc to the XBox version (and people are willing to pay more for a second disc!), so I don't think disc space is what's holding this back.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=47827

Another for my collection:

Sam Houser said:
One of the problems with the 360, and it affects games like Grand Theft Auto if you think about how much content we put in the actual machine, is the fact that they don't have a significantly larger storage medium than the previous systems. It's a slightly bigger DVD disc.

[snip]

I think that the 360 is going to have to get 'round this issue we're talking about. I can think of various ways they can do it. Hopefully, they're going to adopt one of those in the next year or so, because it's going to become more of an issue. If we're filling up the disc right now, where are we going? It's not like our games are going to get any smaller. I think that issue's on the table with a bunch of games right now. I'm sure they'll come through with an intelligent solution.

I was thinking the other day about Sony's position with the ps3 and how many cards they have in their deck as far as exclusives are concerned. 360 seems to be running out of cards to play and they will have to depend on new IP's, while the ps3 can fall back on their mountain of old exclusives from their last gen platform, I believe in the end this is whats going to push them past 360. Not to flame 360 because I have enjoy it but I just don't see anything in the future that will be able to compete with Sony's lineup(unless Microsoft it able to secure a couple of them).

360 seems to be running out of cards to play and they will have to depend on new IP's, while the ps3 can fall back on their mountain of old exclusives from their last gen platform, I believe in the end this is whats going to push them past 360.

Like Devil May Cry, Ace Combat and Ridge Racer, right ? :rolleyes:

If i was buying a next gen console today i wouldn´t be buying it for previous games but for future games. And right now the PS3 looks alot stronger than the XBOX 360. Maybe it´s to late but from here it looks like the PS3 has a strong hand for this year and beyond.

Like Devil May Cry, Ace Combat and Ridge Racer, right ? :rolleyes:
And?

Remember games like Soul Calibur, Crash Bandicoot, MGS, Ridge Racer and Silent Hill for the PS1 that went multiplatform during the PS2? ;)

PS2 retained the largest number of exclusives still.

Too few compared to the potential exclusives the PS3 can have. Both new and old

And?

Remember games like Soul Calibur, Crash Bandicoot, MGS, Ridge Racer and Silent Hill for the PS1 that went multiplatform during the PS2? ;)

PS2 retained the largest number of exclusives still.

Too few compared to the potential exclusives the PS3 can have. Both new and old

Anyone expecting the exclusives ratio for the PS3 to be as lopsided as it was for the PS2 is dreaming, pure and simple. Nearly every large Western producer is multiplatform for easy to understand cost reasons (with a couple titles being moneyhatted), and the situation is even worse on the Japanese side, with both HD platforms tanking very badly there. Which means that (apart from some projects that were started long ago), Japanese producers have the choice to :
- produce games with some western appeal and go multiplatform (Capcom is doing this pretty well)
- develop for the two really successful systems in Japan right now (DS and Wii)
- be moneyhatted for a PS3 exclusive and recoup dev costs thanks to the moneyhat
- tank on the PS3, with the severe financial risks involved in a failed high profile development (remember that not a single PS3 game sold more than 400 000 units in Japan, which is pretty atrocious on its own)

Regarding exclusives, I don't want to go into list warz BS, but the 360 has many upcoming exceptional titles, both exclusive and multiplatform. We know more about the PS3's 2008 lineup for a single reason : its 2007 lineup was so poor they had to communicate on 2008+ titles in order to attract customers to the platform. After that, it all boils down to personal preferences, but refering to the old stable of PS2 exclusives as being de facto PS3 exclusives doesn't make any sense (unless we are talking 1st party stuff).

I think the console with the highest amount of exclusive titles this gen will be the Wii (which is not to say many of those titles will be good, of course). It will probably also be the console with the least returns from previous gen franchises (if we except the usual Nintendo stuff, whose Wii versions have been quite stellar up until now). The Wii may generate a good amount of spin-offs, and may catch a couple high-profile exclusives : remember how Monster Hunter 3 was canned as a PS3 project, and moved to the Wii instead ? Unless it's also on DS (which I doubt), DQ10 will certainly end as a Wii title too.

- develop for the two really successful systems in Japan right now (DS and Wii)
PSP is consistently outselling them both ;)
- tank on the PS3, with the severe financial risks involved in a failed high profile development (remember that not a single PS3 game sold more than 400 000 units in Japan, which is pretty atrocious on its own)
You're kidding, right? 400k is atrocious?! Most games don't sell that many worldwide! People on the whole seem to have a fascination with big numbers, and anything less than a million seller is a flop. The reality is if you make a profit, that's a success. Don't overspend for your target market (there's 2 million PS3's in Japan which is a sizeable market for the right product) and you'll be doing alright. Not every developer is aiming for world-conquering AAA status!
Regarding exclusives, I don't want to go into list warz BS, but the 360 has many upcoming exceptional titles, both exclusive and multiplatform.
Multiplatform doesn't matter though, as they're not going to sway someone to get an XB360. It's the exclusives that differentiate the library, so it's only the upcoming exclusives (and previous exclusives for anyone wanting to revisit old classics) that's going to win a platform sales. Well, excluding other factors like price, of course ;) If XB360 has 1 exclusive and 10 great cross-platforms, and PS3 has twice as many exclusives and the same 10 cross-platformers, I doubt PS3's exclusive library will make a difference.

Still, there's very good chance PS3 will see more exclusives, because Sony have a truckload of 1st party developers writing just for their systems (2nd or third largest in terms of employees IIRC, and by quite a margin). MS may be spending out big-time on exclusives, but we don't know. Whereas we do know Sony's developers aren't sitting there twiddling thumbs or creating cross-platform titles. So yes, the days of masses of 3rd party exclusives are mostly behind us, but a significant exclusive library, especially a diverse one, is still a major selling point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back