Formula 1 - 2008 Season

Renault retains Alonso (as we all pretty much knew) and Piquet.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72010

I think this is the best for Fernando. Renault have been the most improved team this year and nobody thought they would win a race, but they managed it twice (first was very lucky, second wasn't).

One thing I really like about Renault is that they let us listen to the radio a lot. I think Briatore being primarily a business man, he knows that the TV spectacle is important and that the team radio stuff is important for the enjoyment. Ferrari and McLaren don't seem to get this.

In other news, FIA will improve the steward system for next year:
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/11/8653.html

Full FIA statement:
During the 2008 season a review took place of the stewarding arrangements in F1. The current panel of stewards consists of two international stewards and one national steward, all of whom must be eligible for the FIA’s super licence. For 2009, the following updates will be made:

- Any national steward participating who is officiating for the first time will be required to ‘observe’ a minimum of one Grand Prix prior to their event.
- At five Grands Prix in 2009, a number of trainee Stewards, nominated by their ASN and selected by the FIA, will be invited to attend.
- Before each Grand Prix, a short CV of each steward will be posted on the FIA website.
- With the benefit of a new replay system available to the stewards, all incidents will be investigated and appropriate action taken during the race, unless it is essential to seek further evidence afterwards.
- Following the race, a short written explanation of steward’s decisions will be published on the FIA website. This will supplement the formal steward’s decision which largely defines the breach of the rules.
- Where appropriate, additional film evidence that the public may not have seen but which was reviewed by the stewards, will be made available on both the FIA and FOM websites.

Note: No former driver is excluded from seeking their ASN national stewarding licence and then, as with all of the existing stewards, if they gain the necessary level of experience in stewarding events at a national, regional and international level the FIA can consider them for a steward’s super licence.

Well they let us listen but what they let us listen to is still fairly useless. You'll only get to hear the positive things. You basically only hear keep pushing or your racing xxx. Its nothing like the old days where some tv stations used to have scanners and you got to hear everything. That was alot better and you actually got a idea what was going on instead of just PR'ish kinda talk.

And ofcourse Alonso stayed with Renault. Where could he have gone? Honda? Honda performed shit ever since they entered F1 with the exeption of a half good season. You'd be really stupid to switch a team you know can build a WDC car for a team you dont even know if they can give you a half decent car.

What is it with Mike Gascoyne? Is he such an abrasive personality that he gets fired from every team he is in?

He left Renault, he left Toyota, he's now left Force India, and in at least the two latter instances it was amid talk of disagreements.

Wow, haven't seen that before either. Some Italian emotion, right there.

What is it with Mike Gascoyne? Is he such an abrasive personality that he gets fired from every team he is in?
Well, no doubt we'll get an answer soon, but I wonder if the departure may be a reflection of how deep the "technical partnership" between Force India and McLaren will actually go.

However, this probably belongs in a 2009 thread! :)

Well, no doubt we'll get an answer soon, but I wonder if the departure may be a reflection of how deep the "technical partnership" between Force India and McLaren will actually go.

However, this probably belongs in a 2009 thread! :)
I'll let you have the honour of creating it. That way we'll have continuity! :D

Force India link up with McLaren

Force India will use Mercedes engines next season in a long-term deal with the German carmaker and McLaren.

The partnership marks a significant development for McLaren's engine partners and part-owners, who have since 1995 supplied only the Woking team that took Lewis Hamilton to this year's drivers' title.

Sauber were the last 'customer' team to use Mercedes-badged engines, in 1994. However those engines were built by Ilmor, before the company was taken over by Mercedes.

Force India, who last week terminated their engine contract with Fiat-owned Ferrari, said in a statement that McLaren Applied Technologies would supply them with gearbox and hydraulic systems.

The team also plan to use a KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery System) developed by Mercedes and McLaren and will have access to McLaren's network of suppliers as well as operational support.

"McLaren and Mercedes-Benz are two of the most famous names in motorsport history," said Force India co-owner and principal Vijay Mallya (pictured).

"These new resources and developments will provide an enormous boost to our technical armoury and, as a result, we have high hopes of making good progress in 2009 and beyond."

Force India failed to score a point this year and Mallya carried out a major management restructuring last week, with team principal Colin Kolles and technical head Mike Gascoyne both leaving.

"We said at the outset that we meant business and were not interested in merely making up the numbers," said Mallya. "The announcement of our new technical partnership ... clearly underlines that we meant what we said."

The billionaire, whose business interests range from aviation to beer and spirits, said Force India would be in good shape by the time India hosted a grand prix for the first time.

"(Formula One supremo) Bernie Ecclestone has declared plans to stage an Indian Grand Prix in 2011, in Delhi, by which time Force India Formula One team will be exactly that: a Formula One force in, and for, India."

News Source: Force India link up with McLaren - Yahoo! Eurosport UK

Some footage I've not seen elsewhere

An incredible and understandable outburst of frustration and rage from the Ferrari mechanic.

http://www.formula1.com/services/play_video.html (select Brazil)

Excellent use of the head.

And some more Italian Passion from Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo - if they were British we would all be calling them nutters ;)

http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=44584

ITV said:
"I broke the television, I must tell the truth," he was quoted as saying by the Daily Telegraph.

"When a television breaks it makes a terrible bang.

"My daughter in the other room was given an awful fright.

Back