Formula 1 - 2008 Season

Dave Baumann

Gamerscore Wh...
Legend
Well, now that 2007 is wrapped up, here's a placeholder thread for the upcoming 2008 Season.

146 Days to go until Australia, but plenty of post season wrangling, testing and new car launches to come....

Good idea to make a new thread, the other one is too big and unwieldy.

As for Alonso, if he leaves McLaren, I think he will go to Renault.

I hope Alonso gets no cockpit next year. The arsehole deserves a severe punishment for his behaviour.

I hope Alonso gets no cockpit next year. The arsehole deserves a severe punishment for his behaviour.
Well, there have been suggestions that the Merc board voted in favour of him being out (though I suspect McLaren would still take the decision and the Merc boards vote would only be Norbert Haug's input - if indeed that is true); during qualifying, the commentators here were also suggesting that other manufacturers were also getting a little leary of him as well. It sems that the Renault will welcome him with open arms still, Toyota are happy to pay for the talent (and, no doubt, get some McLaren info) or he'll still either be driving for McLaren or on the bench there.

Just as important, to a certain extent, is who will replace him at McLaren, should it come to that? Also, given the issues they've had this year, should they get a replacement, will they change their pattern and build the team more around Hamilton (seeing as he has staked his future on the team and he doesn't appear to be too short on talent)?

If Alonso knows a lot of dirt on McLaren there is the chance they might not want him to leave in case he then spills his guts! On the other hand, is there is not much else known then I think he will go to Renault as he feels Ok there, Toyota is a bit of an unknown, though they probably would pay well.

Who would replace him, somebody who is cheap, not a threat to Hamilton and who would not rock the boat, I think Ron wants an easier year in 2008 :)

As for traction control, it will be interesting who adaps quickest to being gentle with the throttle. Who's smooth? Button is pretty smooth but will the Honda 2008 be another dog? If he had not said he was going to stay at Honda he could have gone off to McLaren for an all British dream team.

Rosberg might be good without traction control, Williams would make a prety forgiving car you would think. I hope both Williams and Rosberg have a good year next, I have deep admiration for Frank and Patrick and they make a refreshing change to the drama that always seems to come with McLaren and Ferrari.

And of course they are a bit of a tiddler in comparison nowadays, still doing it the old fashined way.

All the top guys (paid drivers) have fantastic car control. I don't see them major mistakes occuring as people are expecting with the lack of traction control.

It's the high areo dependency causing the lack of on track racing, not traction control.

As far as I'm concerned, he can take Haug with him when he leaves. I'm sure many people at Mercedes would be thankful for that.

Just as important, to a certain extent, is who will replace him at McLaren, should it come to that? Also, given the issues they've had this year, should they get a replacement, will they change their pattern and build the team more around Hamilton (seeing as he has staked his future on the team and he doesn't appear to be too short on talent)?

Mika Häkkinen said on Finnish television that Rosberg will be the likely team mate for Hamilton, despite his current contract with Williams. He also said that it's very unlikely that Alonso continues at McLaren... doh. :) We'll see what happens, but I woulnd't be surprised if Häkkinen turns out to be right.

If Alonso knows a lot of dirt on McLaren there is the chance they might not want him to leave in case he then spills his guts! On the other hand, is there is not much else known then I think he will go to Renault as he feels Ok there, Toyota is a bit of an unknown, though they probably would pay well.
If he had more dirt, he would've already used it.

I'd like to see McLaren give him the year off, or make him test driver. Teach the knob some humility.

He isn't as good as he thinks he is and a year on the sidelines might make him see the reality of the situation.

Toyota has the money, but I can't see Alonso getting on with Japanese management style. I also can't see Alonso having the man-management skills to do what Schumacher did at Ferrari and rebuild the team around him.

Given Renault's dislike for massive budgets, I can't see them spending $30 million to get Alonso out of his McLaren contract, especially now that he is no longer world champion.

Mika Häkkinen said on Finnish television that Rosberg will be the likely team mate for Hamilton, despite his current contract with Williams. He also said that it's very unlikely that Alonso continues at McLaren... doh. :) We'll see what happens, but I woulnd't be surprised if Häkkinen turns out to be right.

I hope not. Williams would have a few problems if they lose Rosberg for next season. Nice to see Williams out-point Toyota convincingly this season though - shows that money isn't always the most important factor.

Back