CryTek vs. id & Valve

To me it looked not much better than Doom 3, but I'm sure they have more tricks to show with the new engine.

The trick is how many platforms it was running at that point. That alone made it worthy to look at in a technical sense. But from a look standpoint; it looked like Doom 3's clay figures, or in another way... it looked bad.

dont forget eyecandy isnt all that sells an engine, ease of use, documentation, file format support,plugin support, hell just support ;) tools, librarys, editors ect ease of customisation
are all important

dont forget eyecandy isnt all that sells an engine, ease of use, documentation, file format support,plugin support, hell just support ;) tools, librarys, editors ect ease of customisation
are all important

Aye, that's one of the reasons Unreal and the resulting Unreal Tech engines were able to make so much headway in a market that up til then was basically dominated by ID's various engines.

Being able to do level layout and see results practically in realtime was a virtual revolution compared to compiling levels for the Quake engines at the time.

Regards,
SB

Aye, that's one of the reasons Unreal and the resulting Unreal Tech engines were able to make so much headway in a market that up til then was basically dominated by ID's various engines.

Being able to do level layout and see results practically in realtime was a virtual revolution compared to compiling levels for the Quake engines at the time.

Regards,
SB

Have you used to doom editor? :)

In real time I would say. No practically about it.

I think ease of use had more to do with Unreals success.

The trick is how many platforms it was running at that point. That alone made it worthy to look at in a technical sense. But from a look standpoint; it looked like Doom 3's clay figures, or in another way... it looked bad.

It definitely didn't look top of the line, but it wasn't real bad either.

I think the main focus was multiplatform and that megatexture stuff. They said they created that demo in a day or two, didn't they?

IIRC, wasn't the success of Unreal as an engine mainly due to Epic providing excellent (or rather, better than id) post-sale support? Where as you could pick up the phone to Epic and be getting detailed assistance, with id you got the engine and a card wishing you good luck.

The original Unreal engine was very easily customisable, too: it had its own built-in, reasonably object-oriented scripting language ("UnrealScript") which allowed you to programme quite complicated behaviour.

Here's the difference between id and Crytek

id put out the original Doom as shareware and anyone could download it

Crytek have allowed EA to only allow the download to be distributed first to paying EA customers.

Some corruption of the ideal over those years I think.

:(

IIRC, wasn't the success of Unreal as an engine mainly due to Epic providing excellent (or rather, better than id) post-sale support? Where as you could pick up the phone to Epic and be getting detailed assistance, with id you got the engine and a card wishing you good luck.

Not according to Silicon Knights recently that is sueing Epic for the complete opposite of what your stating here?

Not according to Silicon Knights recently that is sueing Epic for the complete opposite of what your stating here?

There's a difference in tenses. He's talking past-tense, you're talking present-tense.

Aside from that, one bad apple (the case with Silicon Knights) does not make a bad bushel. UE3 is clearly one of the best 3d game engines in existence.

Members will refrain from talking about each other in negative terms, or pain will be inflicted.

I get to encounter this kind of opinion quite often. I don't want - or need - to be an id apologist, but it'd be nice if somebody in the know would come forward and elaborate on the differences between theirs and Epic's developer support. Just for once.

That view is based on what I've seen developers at Quarter to Three post. I'd link, but I never kept the topics bookmarked.

Unless they're teleporting back in time and sueing Epic for support with the original engine, then no, they're complaining about Epic's support NOW after Epic have already won the war of the engines.

However, yes, there does seem to be a lot of negative feeling regarding Epic's handling of the PS3, even if Silicon Knights are the only ones airing it in public.

However, yes, there does seem to be a lot of negative feeling regarding Epic's handling of the PS3, even if Silicon Knights are the only ones airing it in public.

Just a note: SK is developing Too Human for the 360 exclusively, but perhaps at the same point in development schedule, they were having similar issues with the engine.

Well considering how much trouble Epic itself is having with getting the UE3 engine working well on the PS3, it's not surprising that licensee's are also having problems.

And yes, SK was developing for the 360 exclusively at the time. I haven't kept track of that whole thing but at the time the story broke it sounded more like SK blaming Epic for problems they were having in house.

Regards,
SB

Actually while Doom made the "3D" shooter popular, System Shock was the first fully 3D textured "shooter" that I can think of. And beat the pants off of Doom in all but framerate. Story and freedom of movement.

I think Descent was the first fully 3D "shooter" (more like a shooter/flight sim hybrid) that supported hardware 3D acceleration in a meaningful way.

All beaten by Ultima Underworld. that game came out at the time the wolf3d demo was realeased. I still have a copy of PCFormat which shows the two being released a month after another.

UU even allowed for flat shaded surfaces or textures depending on your systems power.

Ok, can I see a show of hands for the people who've had their lives heavily impacted by Hover Tank? (I hadn't heard of the game until this thread heh). And the same for Ultima Underworld (which I've never played either).

Stellar 7 and Arctic Fox were came before them anyway. :) Dynamix forever, eh.

Back