What the? Lost Planet on PS3?

there's no way im even considering buying it if they cant get the game look at least identical. wats the point of releasing a inferior version after a whole year? i think Capcom might be better off to use those resources on a new ip.

i'm thinking they're trying to expand interest in the series in Japan. most people who wanted it in the US got it on 360 or PC. also, releasing it on PS3 opens up to a lot more potential buyers for the sequel.

there's no way im even considering buying it if they cant get the game look at least identical. wats the point of releasing a inferior version after a whole year? i think Capcom might be better off to use those resources on a new ip.

Because it is a fun game!

there's no way im even considering buying it if they cant get the game look at least identical. wats the point of releasing a inferior version after a whole year?

Because it is a good game and people may enjoy the gameplay experience?

i think Capcom might be better off to use those resources on a new ip.

It is a port of an existing game. The Framework engine is built and all the assets already created. The amount of resources for this and a totally new IP are massive.

Based on this comparison I dont see much difference. The most apparent is the motion blur and a different color palette

http://www.videogamer.com/features/article/08-01-2008-245.html
They could at least have kept the original resolution of the captures instead of scaling them :cry: When will these sites learn?

Oh and the different pallette for the monster at least relates to gameplay. It's been a year or so since I last played the game, but IIRC the darker orange, the closer to death.

I called this months and months ago. I had a list of 360 titles that would be announced for the PS3. A Capcom title was one of them - the title I said was Lost Planet. Two Worlds was another (it has been announced to move to the PS3) and BioShock was another. Though I think Microsoft may have scuppered this last one with their money pockets.

I believe Lost Planet is coming late because Microsoft wanted their 6 months with the title.

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but we have had evidence of this for about 3 months before you even registered to this site..

GameSpot has their Hands-on impressions of LP for PS3. they said there are differences, but they are "nitpicky at best". the main difference they saw was the differences in colors (360 is more reddish and the PS3 version is greenish), but that could be due to calibration.

GameSpot has their Hands-on impressions of LP for PS3. they said there are differences, but they are "nitpicky at best".....

thanks, here's the excerpt...

fun game if not a little frustrating to fight the bosses...definitely a looker and worth a purchase for a thorough play through. i enjoyed the multiplayer as well, for a bit.

It first made its debut on Microsoft's Xbox 360 console last year before being catapulted over to the PC, where it subsequently became the poster boy for DirectX 10 graphics. Now, more than a year after hitting shelves (and even longer since its initial December 2006 launch in Japan), the game will make an appearance on Sony's PlayStation 3.

Two big questions on a lot of people's minds are: What has Capcom done with Lost Planet on the PS3? And which will be the best of the three versions? Based on our hands-on time with the game, you're in good hands whichever way you swing. The visual differences are nitpicky at best, and doing a thorough visual comparison of the 360 and PS3 versions side by side, with both static scenes and moving gameplay, put the two on a very similar graphical footing. One of the most noticeable differences between the two was colour. In addition to a slight contrast and colour saturation variance, the Xbox 360 retail version has a slight red mask, making some scenes appear slightly pink. In comparison, the PlayStation 3 debug build we played seemed to be a little heavier in the green, giving indoor environments a slight teal tinge. Neither affects gameplay.

Particle and environmental effects such as smoke and snow storms are reasonably similar in both console versions, and while we slightly preferred the Xbox 360 volumetric smoke, the PS3 version seemed to produce more-natural lighting conditions, particularly when you're looking at indoor fluorescent lighting and the glowing red crystals found in the underground portion of the first mission. That said, on a couple of occasions during our play--and once or twice during cutscenes--we noticed slight slowdown on the PS3. We put this one down to work-in-progress code since it was infrequent, even during boss fights and areas with multiple enemies onscreen. Unlike the Xbox 360 version, the PS3 version also offers a hard-drive preload option when you first fire it up (sort of like a mini-install process). Essentially, it copies content from the game disc to the PS3 to improve load times. Our install took 15 minutes, and it only needs to be done once. Comparing PS3 load times with 360 load times, we found that the PS3 times were on average two to three seconds quicker. It's not much, but it adds up over time if you don't mind spending the disc space.

GameSpot has their Hands-on impressions of LP for PS3. they said there are differences, but they are "nitpicky at best". the main difference they saw was the differences in colors (360 is more reddish and the PS3 version is greenish), but that could be due to calibration.

I would have liked more focus on the comparison to the PC versions graphics. There are some failry significant differences, especially with the latest DX10 patch.

I would have liked more focus on the comparison to the PC versions graphics. There are some failry significant differences, especially with the latest DX10 patch.

Well if the PS3 version is barely better or worse looking than the xbox360 version then there is no point in comparing it with the significant better looking PC version.

All this talk of Lost Planet made me dust off the old demo again. I had forgotten how fun this game was. I actually think i'm gonna buy the full version now :D

I also tried out the demo patch which allows the new DX10 effects. Seems they've fixed the stupid performance issues with "high" shadows. I can now run everything at max with full DX10 effects and 1360x768 at >30fps on my GTS 640MB. Its still easily one of the best looking games out there.

W00t! I just bought the game from Amazon. £13.50 including shipping. Bargain IMO!

Since readin this thread I have been playing the demo a lot. Very good IMO.

I think I have found the perfect balance of settings and performance.

I play at 1360x768 (my TV's native res) with 0xAA + 16xAF. All settings at maximum apart from HDR which is at medium. Runs as smooth as butter and looks spectacular.

think they might be using the same frame blend techniq to do the AA in the PS3 version? And it doesn't work well with the 2.5 D motion blur?

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3165998

Cons:
There are downsides to this largess, though, which mostly look to come in the form of a less stable framerate and lower texture quality than the Xbox 360 release.

Pros:
all of the online maps, many of which were paid downloadable content on Xbox 360, are included on the disc from the get-go. Plus, the PS3 version has the additional playable characters found in the PC version -- namely Frank West from Dead Rising and Mega Man (although it's really Frank West in the Dead Rising Mega Man outfit) -- as well as brand-new playable character Luka, who previously only figured into the game's cut-scenes and storyline. Luka has missions of her own, much like Ada Wong's excursions in Resident Evil 4.

1up said:
Now that the long-awaited PS3 version is nearing release (at a notably lower price point than usual PS3 releases: $40), we decided it would be a good time to investigate what this latest version has to offer, as well as discern whatever aesthetic differences the PS3 version might offer.
sweet... now i might consider this.

Your quote is somewhat incomplete:

New to this version are the 'zoom' and 'wide' camera configurations, with the zoom view bringing the camera in a little closer to the main character. Its placement is more central to the screen, though, as opposed to the character being more on the left part of the screen like Leon Kennedy's view in Resident Evil 4.

There are downsides to this largess, though, which mostly look to come in the form of a less stable framerate and lower texture quality than the Xbox 360 release.

Anyway, I assume these games are built on the same engine. I'd also expect rumble to be in the final release, since it's there in DMC4, and it was there in the 360 version, but who knows?

Back