xbox360 1080p lcd problem..help!

leugeboy

Newcomer
Hi,

My LCD 42" accepts 1080p input but at the moment I have plugged my premium xbox360 in via component. When I switch the console from 720p to 1080p the TV accepts the signal and also displays the logo 1080p. But, there are tiny white flickers on the screen that do not go away. I assume that the cable is not good enough and i do know that some TV's struggle with accepting 1080p via component.

I am interested to hear peoples thoughts? For the record the TV displays very good quality 720p and 1080i.

I am also waiting on my HD DVD drive to arrive, anybody already got one? Can you advise me on the 720p quality as I will leave the xbox on this setting depending on advice given.

many thanks, Martin.

Its very possible that your tv may not accept 1080p input through the component connection (Im not sure if you stated this in your post or not).

Have you tried connecting another device that is capable of 1080p to the tv in order to test the connection to make sure it is not an issue with the tv.

unfortunately, I have nothing else with this output. I do have my PC in plugged in using a DVI out to HDMI in cable and the picture is fine. The TV seems to have no problems at all with anything else which seems to highlight an input/quality error. Its frustrating but as I say 720p is good. I suppose I could get the elite and use HDMI.

unfortunately, I have nothing else with this output. I do have my PC in plugged in using a DVI out to HDMI in cable and the picture is fine. The TV seems to have no problems at all with anything else which seems to highlight an input/quality error. Its frustrating but as I say 720p is good. I suppose I could get the elite and use HDMI.

Well it obviously supports 1080p over hdmi but I dont think I would suggest purchasing another 360 simply to solve the situation.

Do you have a vga port on the tv?? If so simply get the 360 vga adapter for around 20 usd.

Does your tv support 1080p over component, if it does it could simply be a set of bad component cables on the 360.

no VGA I am afraid. I havent managed to get the info from philips regarding 1080p component support, was on the line for 20 mins and still no answer! Even then I dobnt the first person I speak to would know. The instruction booklet mentions nothing specific on this.

Just for reference, what model/make is the TV? There are many 1080p LCD TVs that do not accept 1080p over component video cables, and it's more of an exception.

You might try searching the AVSForum for a thread about your TV. It's also not uncommon to find users asking about 1080p over component video with respect to the Xbox 360.

so the tv can accept 1080p but not show it on the screen? Confused now. Could somebody explain why it shows 1080p as a supported video format but it is not a 1080p TV? Please see the link above for the actual TV.

so the tv can accept 1080p but not show it on the screen? Confused now. Could somebody explain why it shows 1080p as a supported video format but it is not a 1080p TV? Please see the link above for the actual TV.

it can take a 1080p signal and downsample it to a supported resolution.

many thanks, very much appreciated. Im glad 720p looks ok! ive bought a HD DVD (not arrived yet) and gutted I cant run 1080p. I assume 720p will still be very good quality. I assume that as the TV has a res of 1366x768 it displays proper 720p and this would be the best display option to use?

Thanks again

many thanks, very much appreciated. Im glad 720p looks ok! ive bought a HD DVD (not arrived yet) and gutted I cant run 1080p. I assume 720p will still be very good quality. I assume that as the TV has a res of 1366x768 it displays proper 720p and this would be the best display option to use?

Thanks again

It may vary, but 720p is likely going to be the best as that is the target resolution for most xbox360 games.

According to the guys at the AVS forums:

Your TV does progressively scan an image at 1920 x 1080—that's the good news. The bad news is that it is upconverting from a lower resolution to 1080p internally. :(

thanks standing ovation. In that case I assume that it is best to output 720p or 1080i from the xbox360 to stop the tv upscaling?

I also read that tv downscale better than they do upscale so 1080i is better quality? I use 720p at the moment and quite happy with it to be honest. What do you think.

I think it shouldn't be too difficult to try out both settings and see for yourself with your own eyes which image is better. ;)

thanks standing ovation. In that case I assume that it is best to output 720p or 1080i from the xbox360 to stop the tv upscaling?

To stop your TV from tampering with the aspect ratio, you will need Xbox to scale whatever resolution the software is rendering at to your TV's native resolution, 1366 x 768. A VGA HD connection can get really close with 1360 x 768, but there's still Wii :)wink4:) bit of scaling involved.

I also read that tv downscale better than they do upscale so 1080i is better quality? I use 720p at the moment and quite happy with it to be honest. What do you think.

If you are happy with it, who am I to tell you otherwise?

1366 x 768. A VGA HD connection can get really close with 1360 x 768, but there's still Wii :)wink4:) bit of scaling involved.
Not if the TV is made to handle PC resolutions over VGA properly and 1:1 pixel map. My LCD (Westy LTV-32W6) allows 1:1 pixel mapping for 1360x768 over VGA (I also use it as my PC monitor).

However, his LCD doesn't have VGA input so it's rather moot.

The TV does have an option in the menu to where you can pick either 'PC' or 'HD; input. If I pick the PC option I can change the display via resolution? Is using this way via HDMI any good is it best to leave as it is (720p)

Back