Street Fighter 4

amazon had mines shipping next week, so i walked into a local gamestop and picked it up and cancelled my order with amazon

Mine shipped already. Won't be here till next week. Which is fine because my Ryu pad won't be here till sometime next week either. I am not looking forward to playing it with the crappy dpad on the 360.

The dpad on the 360 is awful but I read that it's possible to play with the analogue stick, does some members tried? how does it feel?

The dpad on the 360 is awful but I read that it's possible to play with the analogue stick, does some members tried? how does it feel?

I tried playing with the analogue just due to the fact I haven't used a dpad in so long that my thumb just natural gravitated to the stick. But I found using the stick to be dissatifying as I could barely pull off moves only 1/4 of the time i tried them. It was hard to mimick the motions with my thumb, of what can be easily pulled off with some wrist actions on some bigger sticks.

Yeah, sorry when I looked last night it was the only 2 places that had it. I should have bought it myself, but the shipping was about a week and I was impatient.

It's a shame that there were not enough Collector's edition. Usually, they overstock these CEs. I bought a regular edition, but I'm holding off on opening it until the weekend because of school work. Crossing my fingers that I find one tomorrow so I can return the one I have.

I have the CE of the PS3 version, and I honestly think it wasn't really worth it. The two figurines are just ugly (no way I'm going to display these little buggers), the anime stinks and the little "strategy guide" is a joke (8 pages of the 4 new characters with their special moves printed out and a couple of lines of background information). Nothing in there like the sweet quality art book that came with the Fallout 3 box.
It was almost twice as expensive as the regular ed at amazon.co.uk when I bought it.

I was able to pick up a CE yesterday at Best Buy. It was $79.99, but on Amazon it is selling for $100+.

I haven't really looked at the additional content since I only just got it. The figure is pretty crappy though.

This game seems to be selling better than I thought it would. Here in Canada, the PS3 version seems to be really popular, or they simply under shipped the PS3 version as it's sold out everywhere.

Apparently you can cut off a bit more space (at a 45 degree angle) around the d-pad, and that fixes just about all of its problems (got that from Shawn Elliot on a podcast). I haven't tried it yet, but I might. Probably would get the PS3 version anyway though. I also heard that the SE sucked.

But although I have been listening, I still don't really see why this is the best fighting game ...

Apparently you can cut off a bit more space (at a 45 degree angle) around the d-pad, and that fixes just about all of its problems (got that from Shawn Elliot on a podcast). I haven't tried it yet, but I might. Probably would get the PS3 version anyway though. I also heard that the SE sucked.

But although I have been listening, I still don't really see why this is the best fighting game ...

The D-pad issue isn't quite that simple. There's several problems to the design. And as for being the best fighting game... well, it's not, not necessarily. You can't compare it to other 3d games, for sure, and even as a 2D game it has its share of problems. Particularly, the claims that it's a 'casual-friendly' game are not true -- it's incredibly complex.

The best fighting game ever made by a large large margin. This is so perfect.

Far from it....Faaar.

GGXX and VF5 beat the shit out of SF4 in every possible way. I doubt the game will be half as played as 3rd Strike at Evo tournaments once the novelty wears out.
It is great fun, though it gets old rather quick once you fully master the focus attacks applications.

I grew up on SF2 in the arcades and for a while I was all about fighting games. SF series, MK series, Samurai Showdown, Soul Caliber, Tekken, Killer Instinct etc...

Then I got away from the genre and tried to get back into it with marvel vs Capcom/DOA and the whatever the latest tekken was at the time. They just didn't have it.

For me, SF4 is not only the best of the SF series but amazing on it's own. The gameplay has evolved perfectly. You still have the moves you recall, the super attacks and now with focus and dashing you add new elements that work well while preserving the core of the series. The game is simple enough in the sense that you can learn basic moves and do well and still have fun but deep enough that you can spend many many hours just on your main and still not know a lot.

For me, SF4 brought me right back into the fighting genre in full force to the point that I'm typing this with a sore thumb. The only other games that came close in the old days was Killer Instinct. Hopefully we get a KI:3 done right and this could be the best year for fighting games in some time.

For me, SF4 brought me right back into the fighting genre in full force to the point that I'm typing this with a sore thumb. The only other games that came close in the old days was Killer Instinct. Hopefully we get a KI:3 done right and this could be the best year for fighting games in some time.

There's no plans that I've heard of for KI:3, but we'll be getting a new KoF this year, I believe Blaz Blue (by Arc System Works, same team as Guilty Gear) will be out later this year as well. Plus Tekken 6 at the end of the year, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the best thing that I've liked about the SF series (I stopped around when SF3 came out so this may not apply to ones made after) is that they were a lot less "spammy" than current fighting games.

In that I mean anyone with halfway decent skill could own anyone just spammed buttons.

Added to that it wasn't difficult to pick up basic moves and be able to pull off all kinds of impressive looking attacks and it just made it easy for casual players to get into it.

Where skill came in was learning the timing and proper execution of attacks, blocks, jumps, and specials. That's what seperated the casuals from the serious players.

It's not uncommon in some of the newer games (tekken, SC, etc) to have a complete spaz button masher toast anyone other than someone who has completely mastered a char. And even then there's a good chance a spaz will get lucky and beat a master.

In SF (at least up to SF3) it was basically impossible to beat someone that had mastered their char unless you had almost mastered your char. And then it became a think of beauty (for those that understood what was going on).

I think the only other game to have that sort of depth was the early VF series which IMO surpassed it in technical brilliance if not in graphics.

I may actually have to pick up SFIV if it's more like the older SF's.

Regards,
SB

As Robert said, it's similar enough to SF2 that older gamers will be instantly familar with it. At the same time the added elements allow it to be almost a new game with regards to how you utilize strategy.

My only gripes is the super/ultra priorities in the game need to be tweaked. Seth and Rose in particular have supers/ultra that have way too much priority compared to others. The other addition that I wish it had was air block, but that may have been left out on purpose.

So is anyone else still putting their time into this?

After disliking the game at first, I've worked on it and tried to unlock all of the characters. I only have Gouken and Seth to go and it seems like an uphill battle. I've finished arcade mode as everyone I've unlocked, and it's given me an appreciation of each character at a high level.

I actually think this one is going to be a staple in my rotating game list. I don't normally put a lot of time into a single game these days. In the PS1 era I played Tekken 2 and 3 to death. It's looking like SF4 is the first game since those days when I'll be doing the same.

Online sucks for me - I haven't managed to connect to a single game yet :( Will try again later but overall it gets an ugh from me.

So is anyone else still putting their time into this?

After disliking the game at first, I've worked on it and tried to unlock all of the characters. I only have Gouken and Seth to go and it seems like an uphill battle. I've finished arcade mode as everyone I've unlocked, and it's given me an appreciation of each character at a high level.

I actually think this one is going to be a staple in my rotating game list. I don't normally put a lot of time into a single game these days. In the PS1 era I played Tekken 2 and 3 to death. It's looking like SF4 is the first game since those days when I'll be doing the same.

Online sucks for me - I haven't managed to connect to a single game yet :( Will try again later but overall it gets an ugh from me.

I'm in the same boat as you, only have Gouken and Seth left to unlock.

To get matches easier, it is best to create a match. I usually get connected to one very quickly (less than 10 seconds or so). I've only had a handful of laggy matches.

It's also really good to Invite a friend to the game as it allows you to play with the same person until you decide to quit.

Robert R1 and I have had some really good matches. Check me out if you get a change. GT: Timberwolf25

The best way to get matches online without inviting a friend:

set Arcade request to "Player Matches" and start playing through Arcade mode. You'll get people dropping in routinely.

This is being developed by one of the Japanese developers and not one of the Western one, so I think it would be 2d.

But 2d players, in a 3d world/background would be sick.

http://www.soldner-x.com/content/screenshots/2007_07_13/1-2-5.png

Those kinda background, but cell shaded. With the normal SF camera would be awseome beyond man.
hey betanumerical,

that screenshot you posted above looks amazing...what game is that from??

would be fantastic if you could message me whenever you have the time!! :)

Back