Anandtech: then and now

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally was able to dig out this old link. I was nearly 100% sure that Anandtech posted news concerning the whole Quack deal during the 8500 days...

http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.html?i=14632

Benchmarking Ethics and the ATI Radeon
It seems as though the controversy surrounding ATi's Radeon 8500 are still brewing. FiringSquad is the latest to tackle the Radeon 8500's performance in Quake3

It's now been darn near 2 weeks since Extremetech's initial paper, and still not a single post...absolutely nothing.

Does this, into and of itself, pretty much validate just how pathetically biased these bozos are? I mean, honest to God...When confronted with a situation _far_ worse than what was happening with the Quake3 issue, these guys don't mention it one single time?

Well one thing I'd like to say on this topic and Anandtech... is that back when the Quack thing was released... it was in the hight of the internet boom... and Anand posted MUCH more info daily... now it is honestly a very sluggish website... :? so that can explain it... I'll give them into next week before I pass any judgement against them... I have a good bit of faith in their site... even if there isn't a lot of content to it anymore.

I still don't know if they're reserving comment for their Det FX article. Anand (who I'm assuming will write the article) may be busy with other things ATM, and this 3DM03 thing may have delayed it even further.

IOW, I'll reserve full contempt until I read his article. But I did heap some on in the comments thread on his 5900U preview (little good as it apparently did).

I really wouldn't put too much thought/speculation into this.

A long time ago, B3D used to post whatever news its individual staff wanted to post as "news".

Dave took over my post and decided that we should post "industry-related" stuff as "news". I couldn't agree more as this meant less work :) . Seriously though, it means we don't want to appear like "any other website" (not meant in a derogatory maner) -- I think this helps with the appearance of a professional website and sticking to our focus.

Anand (and perhaps elsewhere) may have had a similar change in what they want posted as "news" since the "Quack" issue they posted (like you linked). I have never viewed, nor put much import on, Anand as a "news" site.

I would be surprised, however, if Anand (and/or elsewhere) chosed to never mention this issue in their immediate future content, which is the basis of their business. (such websites are content-driven, i.e., not news driven).

I don't buy it for a minute, sorry :)

I have absolutely not one bit of doubt that if the roles were reversed...that is to say, it was ATI that had been caught cheating, that sites like Anandtech would _never_ miss making that post...

I mean, come on guys...There are only 2 stinking (in reality) 3D outfits left on this planet...and this whole cheating thing hasn't exactly been kept under wraps for the last 2 weeks...

If a website hasn't mentioned it by now, I can guarantee you that it was NOT because they simply didn't realize it...or that they were too busy...

Typedef Enum said:
It's now been darn near 2 weeks since Extremetech's initial paper, and still not a single post...absolutely nothing.

http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.html?i=19482

It looks as though CNET is picking up on the latest round of Futuremark vs NVIDIA battles. This time around Futuremark has accused NVIDIA of cheating on their 3DMark03 benchmarking suite and have issued a patch to "shut the door" on the exploitation.

So, Quake3 being a major benchmark that Anand was using in the most comprehensive manner out of those he ran has a driver hack in it and he talks about it.

Anand doesn't use the 3DMark2003 score and is supposed to make a special post just for it when the same thing happens.....?

and just how many of you rely ONLY ony anandtech for news? Unless you rely purely on anandtech then there's no way that you could miss it and it's not like Anand is posting the nVidia PR response either. Having personally met Anand I have more confidence in him to be unbiased tha anyone else

OICAspork said:
Well one thing I'd like to say on this topic and Anandtech... is that back when the Quack thing was released... it was in the hight of the internet boom... and Anand posted MUCH more info daily... now it is honestly a very sluggish website... :? so that can explain it... I'll give them into next week before I pass any judgement against them... I have a good bit of faith in their site... even if there isn't a lot of content to it anymore.

What the heck are you talking about 'the height of the internet boom'. This was last fall!!!

Sage said:
and just how many of you rely ONLY ony anandtech for news? Unless you rely purely on anandtech then there's no way that you could miss it and it's not like Anand is posting the nVidia PR response either. Having personally met Anand I have more confidence in him to be unbiased tha anyone else

His reviews are filled with errors, including FSAA on the 8500 and most recently posting FSAA benchmarks on Splinter Cell that doesn't support MSAA, then blames ATI drivers :!:

Hot Hardware shows a much closer Quake 3 test..

q31600.png

So does every other site, there is definatley something wrong there...223 fps @ 1600 x 1200 4X AA at Anandtech on a 5900 while all other sites are around 116 fps.

Yup, that's my huge beef. I think it may have been due to an inadvertent error with their new dynamic Flash graphs, but to leave it up for two weeks is very suspicious. I mean, he's running a website, not a magazine--I expect near-instant corrections, especially when every other website testing 16x12 8xAF/4xAA posted benches almost half as fast. He should still have the 5900U lying around, too, as it seems nVidia gave them away to every site who reviewed it (I know AVault's reviewer sold his [in the [H] forums, no less], which may explain his kind yet otherwise mistake-ridden review).

BenSkywalker said:
So, Quake3 being a major benchmark that Anand was using in the most comprehensive manner out of those he ran has a driver hack in it and he talks about it.

Anand doesn't use the 3DMark2003 score and is supposed to make a special post just for it when the same thing happens.....?
LOL, hardly the same thing.
Nice to see you havent changed tho. :rolleyes:

Doomtrooper said:

So does every other site, there is definatley something wrong there...223 fps @ 1600 x 1200 4X AA at Anandtech on a 5900 while all other sites are around 116 fps.

Anand was treated to a "special set" of "newer" Detonators, don't ya' know, which would "unlock the power" of the nv35..... :D Sort of a "Keep your mouth shut about this, and we'll give you this experimental driver set for your review--nobody else will get these, so enjoy! And keep quiet!"...situation....know what I mean?.... :)

Later Anand gets back to them:

"Hey, how come there was no FSAA done in the drivers when I selected for 4x FSAA at 1600x1200 in my tests?!!!!! I've already published my results!"

nVidia: "Oh, golly, must've been a bug--SUCKAH! *chortle*"

Anand is now attempting to formulate a politically correct explanation which will exonerate him and his benefactors....maybe. Probably he's just lying low until the whole thing blows over.

:devilish:

WaltC said:
Doomtrooper said:

Anand was treated to a "special set" of "newer" Detonators, don't ya' know, which would "unlock the power" of the nv35..... :D Sort of a "Keep your mouth shut about this, and we'll give you this experimental driver set for your review--nobody else will get these, so enjoy! And keep quiet!"...situation....know what I mean?.... :)

Later Anand gets back to them:

"Hey, how come there was no FSAA done in the drivers when I selected for 4x FSAA at 1600x1200 in my tests?!!!!! I've already published my results!"

nVidia: "Oh, golly, must've been a bug--SUCKAH! *chortle*"

Anand is now attempting to formulate a politically correct explanation which will exonerate him and his benefactors....maybe. Probably he's just lying low until the whole thing blows over.

:devilish:

That's pretty funny Walt :D
You must have read his GF3 review, eh ;)

BenSkywalker said:

You guys just don't get it do you. This is not just a 3DMark2003 thing. It just happens they were caught with this tool and their performance gain was 25%. What kind of performance gain are they getting with quake 25% or 30%, who knows?

This is a huge story. All the benchmarking that we have been doing is all BS, it's rigged. We cannot trust that the benchmarked performance of a game will come close to the actual gameplay.

It means that consumers will be buying substandard video cards which will lead to substandard games.

I am disappointed that Anandtech can't see how important this is..

I am disappointed that Anandtech can't see how important this is..

I suggest you email them, and let them know...and tell everybody you know to do the same.

It's pathetic that the Quake3 graph is still up there right now, 2 weeks after the fact that it was utterly obvious that something wasn't right...Hell, I would go on to say that any freakin' idiot with half a brain would know that something isn't right when just looking @ the number...

But then again, I also know sites like Anandtech actually sit there and ask themselves questions like, "Hmmm...This doesn't seem very correct. Let me investigate it." They just plop the card it, run a few timedemo's without so much as even thinking about anything relating to the game (IE how does it actually play outside the benchmark?)....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back