Street Fighter 4

Plus SF EXs and SF the Movie.

I knew someone would come along...

Hey, stay optimistic. As genre-addicts we're going to presume new systems guilty until proven innocent.

I think you're correct about going for the lapsed player, tho. That's great, I think. I think that's what they need to do or why even bother with a SF4? There's no point of a cighting game without competition and you can't have competition without fresh blood.

You know what it's like. There's noone left to play. Now that they closed Bearcade I have one 3S machine that I can hope to find a player on and it's 30 miles away!

Anyhow, I think that neither a big shake-up in gameplay, nor a focus on accessability, will preclude them from making a game worthy of the name.

I am glad Capcom has decided with SF4 to go back to the SF2 universe. I think SF3 was too much of a departure as far as characters, music, atmosphere, etc. that's why it didn't do so well and why Alpha 3 did so much better.

You hit it right on the nail. That's exactly what I have against 3D fighters these days. The total lack of detail when it comes to the animations. They feel extremely plastic, all of them. VF5, Tekken, DOA, all of them.
I have a totally different opinion about VF5. IMO VF4 has the best, smoothest animation ever. Seeing masters playing the game, it is almost as if yuo are watching a martial arts choreography. Beautiful.

Hey, stay optimistic. As genre-addicts we're going to presume new systems guilty until proven innocent.

The systems they described aren't that new. SF EX3 pretty much have something similar as well as tag team. And Guilty Gear latest iteration had cover this system too.

I was hoping for them to go back to basic, ie remove the supers and those secondary gauge and just have basic and special moves, that can be combo into each other. Since its already in 3D, why not make use of the extra degree of freedom, I don't mean the game to be played like today 3D fighters, it should still be mostly played back and forth with the extra option. Introduce new basic and special moves to deal with it. Keep it raw and easy to understand.

In SF4, they going to put in ultras on top of supers and remove parry. I hate watching the long supers in SF3, at least most long supers I can parry, what do they expect me to do in SF4, watch it to death ? I hope the saving system can be used to get out of it. Though it would be kinda cheesy to get out of the situation with just a two-buttons press. But I guess one cheesy system kinda deserve another cheesy system.

Anyway after reading the EGM article I get the feeling they are aiming for large character roster. I think it will be between 20 to 40 characters maybe even more, with most returning SF2 characters. I think as long as the old character can work and looks good in that new 3D engine, they'll put it in.

mines downloading, but its not going very fast (~90kb/s which is kind of slow for me). i think i usually download around 200kb/s from gamevideos.

After watching the video, I would like to say that unless the game was faster than shown, the speed seemed perfect to me. The art style is still a bit odd looking, but I think I could get used to it after playing for a while.

That look and feel more like SF EX. The speed isn't as fast as I thought from reading the impression of the 1UP/EGM guys that played it. It just fine IMO though perhaps a tad slow, I thought the speed was like the SNES SF2Turbo 6+ stars setting.

The gameplay vid was chop in bits, I wished they had shown a whole round or something to that effect. Well its 2% done, they got along way to go, in its current form this is SF EX4.

Well, I think this is the video we all wanted to see instead of 20 minutes of dudes talking. Here's the footage of only Ryu and Ken fighting
<snip>

At first glance it seems like there was some motion blur, on second thought it seems more like compression artefacts, right? And no dynamic lights, self shadowing, GI etc

Still seems nice enough ;)

Self Shadowing is there. Those fireball does light up the characters, is that what you mean by dynamic lights ? I think the background has pre-baked GI.

Self Shadowing is there. Those fireball does light up the characters, is that what you mean by dynamic lights ? I think the background has pre-baked GI.

I was refering to the fire lighting up the fore-/background, but yes, the characters too. Didn't notice any of it though, well, that is why I commented on it. Seemed strange :)

I must say I really like what they are going for in this game, especially in how they are handling the graphics. I don't think I'll play it though, I don't like Street Fighter, more of a Tekken guy.

I was refering to the fire lighting up the fore-/background, but yes, the characters too. Didn't notice any of it though, well, that is why I commented on it. Seemed strange :)

The characters do get lit. Observe the blue highlight on the characters around 00:15 of the gv.com.SFIVDragonPunchGameplayHD_1280x720.wmv posted above. Its there for several frames.

For self shadowing look at the close up of Ken around 00:26-00:27 of the gv.com.SFIVHadokenGameplayHD_1280x720.wmv poseted above. Might have to use player capable of advancing one frame at a time though.

Also notice how the characters are mirrored like the 2D SF2 instead of rotated like SF EX. The problem with what they are doing is, the leading foot of the characters will go through each other, very noticeable. There are others but less noticeable. They have to solve this overlaping parts in 3D fighting games. Either through some good collision handling or something else.

Also I think they should really drop about the 2D plane thing. Just do what make sense. Attacks that should knock characters to the side like Hurricane kicks or other like attacks should have some sideway reaction. It looks odd. You can still make the game play 2D, I mean without dodges and stuff.

I like the cartoony expression that the characters made during different situation, I think those are great. I like the muscular characters, though I think the muscle seperation on the characters could be made sharper. I mean the characters should get cut up more, they look kinda soft at the moment.

The characters do get lit. Observe the blue highlight on the characters around 00:15 of the gv.com.SFIVDragonPunchGameplayHD_1280x720.wmv posted above. Its there for several frames.

For self shadowing look at the close up of Ken around 00:26-00:27 of the gv.com.SFIVHadokenGameplayHD_1280x720.wmv poseted above. Might have to use player capable of advancing one frame at a time though.

Also notice how the characters are mirrored like the 2D SF2 instead of rotated like SF EX. The problem with what they are doing is, the leading foot of the characters will go through each other, very noticeable. There are others but less noticeable. They have to solve this overlaping parts in 3D fighting games. Either through some good collision handling or something else.

Also I think they should really drop about the 2D plane thing. Just do what make sense. Attacks that should knock characters to the side like Hurricane kicks or other like attacks should have some sideway reaction. It looks odd. You can still make the game play 2D, I mean without dodges and stuff.

I like the cartoony expression that the characters made during different situation, I think those are great. I like the muscular characters, though I think the muscle seperation on the characters could be made sharper. I mean the characters should get cut up more, they look kinda soft at the moment.

They are trying not to sacrifice too much from the street fighter formula that so many loved for all these years. Otherwise they will end it up like Tekken 4 or SF EX which werent that much adored by the fans. Thats why they arent making some of the logical changes you mentioned

Back