Anybody played Conan yet?

BoardBonobo

My hat is white(ish)!
Veteran
Picked it up the other day for the PS3 and have to admit that I'm quite suprised.

Plays a bit like Heavenly Sword, and the gfx are quite nice. Has the same weird shadows as HS as well.

Voice acting is OTT and very cheesy. So it's perfect for Conan!

The gameplay is suprisingly smooth and if you're a fan of on the rails hack n slash then it's perfect.

Not too sure about the topless maidens though, you rescue them and they don't even attempt to escape... ;)

I thought it sucked, bad. The graphics are poor, the gameplay is slow and boring. As you said, the voice acting is very cheesy, as is the dialog. The queen says something like, "Will you serve me?" Conan says, "service you maybe". *crickets...* I didnt even finish it to be honest, just quit the game, and deleted it. Not even worth mentioning in the same sentence as HS...

But thats just my opinion, just didnt care for it. Was looking forward to it too.

Same for me! Camera is pretty bad too from time to time.. Close up graphics were also poor.. I also deleted before finishing it.

Played the demo.....BRUTAL is the first word that comes to mind.

Probably the worst game I've played this generation, up there with Vampire Rain...

Why didn't they make it for the PS2? Really they shouldn't have bothered...they sent it out to die, no matter how strong the combat system is meant to be.

I dont understand why some are so extremly negative towards this game. Its not the greatest game ever made, but still seem to be a good, fun game. Although I´ve only played the demo.

I thought the combat was realy fun, and blody as hell =). Graphics may not change the world, but they´re still funtional and look decent, even if they dont scream next gen.

Dialoge is fun, just as intended i suppose.

Blod, fun combat, half naked girls, humour. All you could ask for =) If you take it for what it is it should be great fun =) It reminds me of those old games that doesnt take them self too seriously. You dont need the story of bioshock, or the hightest production values ever. Its just a fun game (a fun demo anyway).

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont understand why some are so extremly negative towards this game. Its not the greatest game ever made, but still seem to be a good, fun game. Although I´ve only played the demo.

I thought the combat was realy fun, and blody as hell =). Graphics may not change the world, but they´re still funtional and look decent, even if they dont scream next gen.

Blod, fun combat, half naked girls, humour. All you could ask for =) If you take it for what it is it should be great fun =) It reminds me of those old games that doesnt take them self too seriously. You dont need the story of bioshock, or the hightest production values ever. Its just a fun game (a fun demo anyway).

The worst game ever is probably jak 2 btw.

OK...but why would you spend £40-£50 on it? When you can get first party Playstation titles (for example) for £30...like Heavenly Sword, or Uncharted. It might be "fun" but why should I buy it?

OK...but why would you spend £40-£50 on it? When you can get first party Playstation titles (for example) for £30...like Heavenly Sword, or Uncharted. It might be "fun" but why should I buy it?

No, I wouldn´t pay full price for it either I think. But then again, it seems like good fun, so what if it doesnt have gears graphics?

Demo was pretty shruggable. I'll probably rent it to check out the extended game, but I don't think it's worth shelling out full price for.

Conan is mild fun with tone of gore, it aint pretty to look at and the animations are sub par...but its kinda fun tearing limbs of your enemies.

Its no god of war or heavenly sword but a good rental imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the game and finished it, it's a pretty fun beat'em all with loads of gore. Combat is very well done with 3 different styles and upgradeable moves. I would advise against buying it full price, though, but it's definitely a decent rental or bargain title.

Ooh no love for the big man!!! ;)

I thought it was a decent Conan game, maybe it's a bit crap as just a game but in the style of things it was pretty good. As in the books not the film! The cheesy voice acting, over the top gore, and gratutitous nudity all smack of Conan.

Oh well. I'm still having fun!

@betan

Both GoW and GoWII have passed under these bridges and I had great fun. Looking for to the PSP version next year!

But all I want is for someone to remake Barbarian, then I'll be happy!!

No, I wouldn´t pay full price for it either I think. But then again, it seems like good fun, so what if it doesnt have gears graphics?

But GOW looks better than it. I mean you're going to be hard pressed to want to buy this game.

But GOW looks better than it. I mean you're going to be hard pressed to want to buy this game.

Yes it does. They probably had alot more resources though. I don´t think i would full price for conan, it doesnt seem THAT good. But my point is that it might be realy good fun, despite it not having the highest production values or the deepest story (its like army of darkness in a way). And I think it would be bad if we just turned a game down because of things like these.

I can thinker of a number of games with much better graphics and production values I´d probably find less entertaining than conan. I dont think most of us would reject a movie just because it doesnt have the budget of a hollywood bluckbuster. Maybe we have a tendensy to do so with games because games are a much more technologic-centric medium.

Before downloading the demo, I read that Conan was a broke down ghetto God of War and oh man were they right! I didn't even finish the demo. I laughed through the dialogue and voice acting and stopped shortly after the combat kicked in. It was just utterly horrible. Everything. Not just one single thing, the entire thing. Graphics, combat, just...blah. I wish last night never happened :cry:

played the game at the local game store for 5min and quited. the graphics in this game is well situated in the PS2 level and the character design is so uninspired. gotta say, after beating heavenly sword, Conan is nothing but underwhelming.

it's actually really fun. graphics are horrible, but the combo system gets REALLY deep. you can buy combos (in the middle of a battle) that are for one-handed blade attacks, one-handed blade+shield attacks, dual-wielding one-handed blades attacks, and two-handed blades attacks and whichever one you use greatly affects how you play. I only beat the first boss and got the first armor piece so I have the singing blades special meter and it is extremely useful when you're taking on a lot of enemies. the story is nice and not that cliche. graphics aren't good at all (I'm pretty sure it's the same models as the PS2 version with upgraded environments). the game is at least worth a rental. I'll update when I finish the game maybe this weekend.

the only thing Im impress with the game is that it actually looks like it has AA even with HDR lighting, atleast for the cut scene. Most third part games doesn't have AA if the game has HDR.

It's such a shameless God of War clone. The orb system, even the button layout was just copied and pasted. They forgot the nice visuals and fun gameplay unfortunately.

Back