PS Store update ramblings

pipo

Veteran
Hm. You used to be able to put the exact amount of cash needed for a download in your wallet.

No more. So for every 4.99 game I need to donate 5 bucks (or 10 bucks for 7.99).

What a great new feature. Makes a lot of sense too (for Sony at least). :rolleyes:

I ve noticed that too. Do you mean that the extra amount goes to Sony no matter what so I ll have to purchase games with it? What if someone accidentally puts a huge amount in his wallet?

pipo and Nesh, are you sure ? I just tweaked my PSN account settings 2 days ago to buy Everyday Shooter.

You do not need to top up the wallet to the predefined amount ($5, $10, ...). You _can_ simply pay for the exact amount (e.g., US$9.99). At least when I did it, the wallet let me decide whichever way I want to.

I suspect the top up feature is carried over from PSN stored value card (in Japan), and perhaps some form of budget control (e.g., Daddy top up wallet beforehand for son to spend).

I ll check it later when I ll have time but I remember looking for an exact amount payment to no avail. I was forced to use predefined amount. What store are you using? I use the US PS Store

When I bought Every Day Shooter the other day I put the exact amount in my wallet too. As a matter of fact I think it defaulted to the exact amount. I don't remember even seeing predefined selections. It all seemed quite easy. If it matters I added the game to my cart and went to checkout before messing with the wallet. I'm using the US store too.

I put in $20 only once, but it did give me the option of putting in only the exact amount. I wasn't aware anything had changed, but I'll have to spend another fifteen-plus to find out, since I don't plan on putting any more money in there until I need it.

When I bought Every Day Shooter the other day I put the exact amount in my wallet too. As a matter of fact I think it defaulted to the exact amount. I don't remember even seeing predefined selections. It all seemed quite easy. If it matters I added the game to my cart and went to checkout before messing with the wallet. I'm using the US store too.

When you add money to the wallet from Account Managment you cannot add exact amounts. In fact, I've had mine since day 1 and never remember being able to add exact amounts to the wallent from the Account Managment page. However, during the checkout process, like you're refering to, I've always been able to add the exact ammount.

pipo, me thinks you went to Account Managment to add money, and not add money at the time of purchase. They have different options.

That would make sense although I'm pretty sure I did it during check out - as that is my usual way of upgrading my wallet.

I'll check again. Euro store here by the way.

Actually I have noticed the same thing, when i bought feel Ski i had to put £5 on it not the exact cost, (or was feel ski from USA??) well either way the shop wouldn't let me put the right money on anymore...

I think you'll find the minimum amount is now £5, (not sure about US), once you go over that amount it'll go up in pence as well.

Example: You bought a £4.99 game and had to add £5 to your wallet, next purchase is £9.99 - this time you need to add £9.98 to your wallet.

I think this is right as I had to add £5 to buy Locoroco @ £1.99.

I think you'll find the minimum amount is now £5, (not sure about US), once you go over that amount it'll go up in pence as well.

Example: You bought a £4.99 game and had to add £5 to your wallet, next purchase is £9.99 - this time you need to add £9.98 to your wallet.

You will need to add $9.98 but are you going to be able to do it? Or will it force you to put $10?

I believe MS did this since there's a minimum cost imposed by the credit card companies - so charging $1.99 via Visa would basically be losing them money. Maybe Sony saw this too - would be nice for confirmation. If they're not... how are they getting around the merchant service fee?

That would make sense although I'm pretty sure I did it during check out - as that is my usual way of upgrading my wallet.

I'll check again. Euro store here by the way.

Oh, I thought you were on the US store. Nevermind then, I'm not sure how the EU store works.

That makes sense do you credit card transaction fees, you lose profits on low-priced items. But they're not going to lose money, otherwise Apple would be bust by now! It's of the order of 30p fee per transaction, plus a percentage depending on how the payment solution is implemented, which I expect Sony not have to worry about but you never know. At least that's the fees I'm levied with my online sales. They'll drop with bulk sales too.

So, a normal move if eb's suggestion is correct, and not totally unfair, but not ideal either. If you can top up with exact amounts though, it's not bad. Except those pennies will be a waste. Seriously, what's the point?! I'm sure everyone would be happy to spend an extra penny per purchase and have easier numbers to work with!

I just made a purchase now... no change in policy or procedure that I noticed. (Even the default "fill your wallet" option is exact price, which was $5.99.)

EU may have changed procedure because of weird currency shifting...? I don't know how it works out by you folk. ;)

But for now, everything seems to be OK. Excepting, of course, that they have no way to NOT have to click through a million goddam screens... How can there NOT be a default "fill and pay exact amount using the last source you used [CC]" on the initial screen at this point, to bypass all that bullshit?

*sigh*

But for now, everything seems to be OK. Excepting, of course, that they have no way to NOT have to click through a million goddam screens... How can there NOT be a default "fill and pay exact amount using the last source you used [CC]" on the initial screen at this point, to bypass all that bullshit?
Because Amazon or someone else patented convenient shopping?

I've seen more comments that confirm the 5 eur/dollar/pound cap.

Back