We're Back

Catastrophic database unhappiness, alas, and the best backup we could lay our hands on quickly was from October 10th. We plan to do what we can to dig up cache entries on the Ray Tracing thread, as it was so fine. We won't be able to do that for every thread tho, alas.

The good news is everyone infracted/temp banned for posts on those days has had a reprieve. We won't try to rebuild that history. I sort of feel like Stalin releasing political prisoners early by saying that. . .

Perm bans remain in force, however, because we remember those real well.

Catastrophic database unhappiness, alas, and the best backup we could lay our hands on quickly was from October 10th. We plan to do what we can to dig up cache entries on the Ray Tracing thread, as it was so fine. We won't be able to do that for every thread tho, alas.
What database? MySQL? No logging/transactions enabled? Otherwise, you can roll forward to wherever you please.

Yup, MySQL.
I don't expect the forum/site (PHP?) to use explicit transactions, but AFAIK (and depending on the version and engine used), you can enable logging them at the engine level. If it was, you can reapply all changes up to whenever you like.

I would suggest using an engine that allows that and enabling both, to prevent things like this in the future. And it also allows you to track down what caused the problem.

Btw, I could take a look at it if you would want me to. I do things like this for a living. But I would need access to the database, and perhaps ssl access (read) to the filesystem as well.

I dont see why i should be expected to refill threads i was involved in with my greatness, so whip me up a servant and if i find the time i mayhap relay to him what i wish re-entered!

:LOL:

That's strange , when I try to open site as I did b4 , I see an error message like this ; Problems encountered, working on it. Be back asap... Team Beyond3D But if I try to open B3d over www1.bpcd.net [ proxy ] I can open without a problem as I'm doing right now ... That's strange , country restriction or something ?..

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably your web browser. If your browser has cached that error page and doesn't pull down the new version, that sort of thing can happen. Try forcing a reload of the page.

DNS propagation delay, I think. The error message is on a virtual server at 195.78.94.240 while this working backup is at 74.200.65.90.

It's probably your web browser. If your browser has cached that error page and doesn't pull down the new version, that sort of thing can happen. Try forcing a reload of the page.
I don't think so , tried 3 different browsers , all caches cleared ...
Zaphod said:
DNS propagation delay, I think.
I don't know wth you're talking about :D but it sounds charismatic , like it ... " Hey , I have a DNS prpagation delay error ... thing here ..." :D

Back