Consistant / Reliable European / Other sales data source?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever heard of supply and demand? Demand for Wii is huge, thus the high price.

Yes i heard of the supply and demand thing, pretty awesome if your a girl.

But of course it´s true, the demand for the PS3 and WII must be extraordinary high compared to the 360 that hardly sells anything....

Ye
But of course it´s true, the demand for the PS3 and WII must be extraordinary high compared to the 360 that hardly sells anything....

Well for the Wii atleast...PS3 seems to be selling less than the X360 at the moment, so it's demand is not very high, let alone extraordinary high. Yeah it's safe to say that at a even pricepoint PS3 has more demand than X360, but as it is the demand for it is low compared to the others.

The situation must be different by country because the demand here in Belgium/Brussels is bigger for the PS3 then the Wii and then the 360.

Even with the price drop and the cashback action (-50 euro on the elite / -40 euro on the pro / -30 euro on the arcade) the tide doesn't seem to turn for Microsoft.

7 million is 2 million more than they announced earlier in the year. I think that beats its NA sales over the period. That's a lot of sales in a short time given how it's "supposed" to be struggling in this territory. I guess 2 consecutive price cuts have been effective.

7 million is 2 million more than they announced earlier in the year. I think that beats its NA sales over the period. That's a lot of sales in a short time given how it's "supposed" to be struggling in this territory. I guess 2 consecutive price cuts have been effective.

They said well over 5 million in June and 6 million in september, but yeah it's doing quite good at the moment.

Microsoft has announced that November was the biggest sales month ever for the Xbox 360 in Europe, with the hardware sales “up 124 percent over last November”.

The company also cites GfK-ChartTrack data as suggesting that the 360 outsold the PS3 “across the entire region and in particular has seen significant gains in markets like France, Spain and Italy, where it has been outselling PlayStation 3 week after week.”

http://www.edge-online.com/news/microsoft-details-biggest-euro-month-ever

I've always considered GfK-ChartTrack to be UK only as it relates to consoles - hence why the NPD/GfK-ChartTrack/Enterbrain "global" markets report was US, UK and Japan only.

ChartTrack was UK. GfK was European, notably Germany and Spain in earlier reporting. the combo coverge is thus pan-European. I vaguely remember an announcement of a joint venture between the two companies, or somesuch.

ChartTrack was UK. GfK was European, notably Germany and Spain in earlier reporting. the combo coverge is thus pan-European. I vaguely remember an announcement of a joint venture between the two companies, or somesuch.

Well in that case my confusion is resolved ;)

I don’t think that those Gfk-ChartTrack is very reliable of that it tracks the whole European continent correctly.

Yesterday I read claims from Microsoft that they sold more 360’s then PS3’s in every European country and that they based their conclusion on the Gfk-ChartTrack numbers.

I bet my both hands on it that in Brussels/Belgium (and I’m rather sure also in the Netherlands ) that is certainly not the case. The 360 was already overtaken by the PS3 a year ago. And even with the price drop (and the rebates plus that some shops throw in a lot of games like far cry 2 + fable 2 combo for 250 euro) they aren’t really flying of the shell.

I don’t think that those Gfk-ChartTrack is very reliable of that it tracks the whole European continent correctly.

Yesterday I read claims from Microsoft that they sold more 360’s then PS3’s in every European country and that they based their conclusion on the Gfk-ChartTrack numbers.

I bet my both hands on it that in Brussels/Belgium (and I’m rather sure also in the Netherlands ) that is certainly not the case. The 360 was already overtaken by the PS3 a year ago. And even with the price drop (and the rebates plus that some shops throw in a lot of games like far cry 2 + fable 2 combo for 250 euro) they aren’t really flying of the shell.

Well by the whole region they might mean Europe in general. Sure in individual countries maybe the PS3 is more popular but put them all together and overall the 360 might be selling better. The better PS3 sales in smaller countries might be enough to be enough to overtake better 360 sales in bigger countries, e.g. UK...

Some interesting quotes from David Reeves about Sony's strategy emerged today (I've crossposted this in a PS3 price cut thread, but it seemed to fit here given the discussion of install base and the figure given):

No we are not going to go down in price; neither are we going to go down in price on PS3 in spring time either. Absolutely not, whatever you might have heard to the contrary.

Our strategy is very much value added. I am confident that in PAL territories our installed base is 300,000 units ahead of Xbox 360.

When we came into the industry we started at zero. And we had to have a model that offered price elasticity. As soon as we got the manufacturing price down on PSOne we lowered the price. Same with PS2. But we're not doing that on PS3 - that's not the model, even if people are expecting it.

We're relying on the fact that the industry will keep growing and while we might have a comparatively smaller share of the market we will have higher sales. PS3 is tracking where PS2 was at the same point in its life. The value added strategy will continue for some years to come.

We are in a solid position, and are not lackadaisical. Next year we are probably going to be a little bit more aggressive when we reach the break-even point.

Last edited by a moderator:
A huge down sde in Reeves (and he couldn't know at this time) is that next year is unlikely to be good to anyone.

EDIT
I read another catisfit's comment in another thread, my comment is dumb as the statement is from yesterday.
It reminds me of something older.

Last edited by a moderator:

I dont think they said "in every European country".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back