Consistant / Reliable European / Other sales data source?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But he didn't say "PS3" outsold 360 3-1" he said "We" outsold 360 3-1. And Sony has made misleading PR statements before.

Personally I'm not sure. I could see sales evidence for both interpetations.
we know from france gfk the ps3 has been outselling the xb360 ~2.8:1 (no doubt over 3:1 now since this was before xmas).
also if it was ps2,psp,ps3 against xbox the ration would prolly be at least 10:1.
the ps2 has very long legs in PAL countries

Speculation is now Reeves was using the old PSP+PS2+PS3 slight of hand to make the 3-1 statement.

But I guess it's up to the individual which way they believe it.
Personally if that would be the case I think it would be higher. Sony does still sell allot of PS2 and PSP's. Here for example it was the second best selling console of 2007.

we know from france gfk the ps3 has been outselling the xb360 ~2.8:1 (no doubt over 3:1 now since this was before xmas).
also if it was ps2,psp,ps3 against xbox the ration would prolly be at least 10:1.
the ps2 has very long legs in PAL countries

France is one of their best cases, so the average should probably be lower than that...

But he didn't say "PS3" outsold 360 3-1" he said "We" outsold 360 3-1. And Sony has made misleading PR statements before.

Personally I'm not sure. I could see sales evidence for both interpetations.

Even if it is true that the PS3 outsold the 360 3-1 last week, it goes to show that the ratio over the holiday season isn't as rosy.

If you can get data for the PAL region from last week, it obvious you have sales data from the last two months so why not give more relevant sale data instead of last week, which is about inconsequential as you can get?

I'd bet the overall ratio for the PAL market over the holiday season is more like 1.5-1 in favor of the PS3.

I think the week he referenced may have had the benefit of the post Warner announcement Blu-ray bump. In that scenario I don't think it's hard to believe at all. Not a typical week, sure, but demonstrative of the 360's vulnerability in the territory.

Should add this list as well, IMHO:

LTD (End 2007)

NDS - 1.8M
Wii - 728,000
360 - 384,000
PS3 - 309,000

So the 360 has at least a 800K lead from the UK, perhaps even more; but it's behind the PS3 in basically every other large country in the continent. Interesting, I wonder how far they can get with this headstart.

The official swedish chart week 5:

Alla format
1. Guitar Hero 3: Legends of Rock (PS2)
2. World of Warcraft (PC)
3. Guitar Hero 3: Legends of Rock (Wii)
4. Counter-Strike 1: Anthology (PC)
5. World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade (PC)
6. Burnout Paradise (PS3)
7. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PC)
8. Guitar Hero 3: Legends of Rock (360)
9. Singstar Svenska hits Schlager (PS2)
10. Uncharted Drake´s Fortune (PS3)
11. Singstar Svenska hits (PS2)
12. Burnout Paradise (360)
13. Råttatouille (PS2)
14. Guitar Hero 2 (PS2)
15. Counter-Strike Source (PC)
16. Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros Treasure (Wii)
17. Battlefield 2 (PC)
18. Rayman Raving Rabbids (Wii)
19. Crysis (PC)
20. The Sims Historier från en öde ö (PC)

I may not be interpreting them right, but from the sales figures of individual titles in the UK I get the impression that the PS3 is catching up rather quickly now.
yeah, software sales seem to suggest that its a lot closer than the LTD numbers suggest.

edit: nice to see Uncharted is still hanging in there. i'm still puzzled as to why its not selling as well over here in NA. maybe its being marketed better over there?

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, software sales seem to suggest that its a lot closer than the LTD numbers suggest.

edit: nice to see Uncharted is still hanging in there. i'm still puzzled as to why its not selling as well over here in NA. maybe its being marketed better over there?

Over here in GER Uncharted got featured a lot in the print press. Not only gaming mags, but also in lifestyle and multimedia mags. It`s known as THE game to get for PS3. Some gaming mags had Uncharted gimmicks as well (f.e. posters , a magnet etc.)

PlayStation 3 sells 1 million units in UK
Matt Martin 12:01 (BST) 13/02/2008

Reaches milestone quicker than the PS2 and Xbox 360

Sony has confirmed to GamesIndustry.biz that the PlayStation 3 has sold over one million units in the UK.

The console was released in the UK on March 23 last year, meaning it has reached the milestone quicker than the PlayStation 2, which took 50 weeks to sell one million units.

Full article here

I wonder how far the 360 has gone from the sept 07 level of 1.5 million units then...

It's not an estimation of actual PS3 installed base in Europe but in an interview for MCV UK David Reeves has stated that he expect the PS3 to catch up with the 360 user base by 2008 summer.
He also stated that last week sony has outsold Ms by1/3

I can tell how the situation is in my country if you are interested, i am from italy.

Here the ps3 didn't sell well before the price drop and the xbox360 had a good time while the wii didn't do crazy numbers, seems like we don't like the wii as much as the us :LOL:

But everything changed after sony dropped the price now for 400 euros you can have a blu ray player plus a game console and people see it as a better value than the xbox360.

The ps3 outsold the wii and the xbox360 even if the total installed base of the xbox360 is still larger.

If Ms wants to do better in europe they MUST drop the price to 299 euros for the premium and trow in a good or two games.

So the PS3 has been outselling the 360 in the UK since BluRay got its definitive victory over HD-DVD. This is the only significant thing that appears to have changed this since the start of this year - no killer apps, no price drops.

This raises 2 questions:
- just how important is BluRay as a sales point now it's won the format war
- just how many of these extra PS3 sales are going to the kind of gamers who will spend a lot of money on games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back