New PS3 model to hit Europe for 399 EUR

im very surprised to see Sony dropping BC on any PS3 model. But aslong as there still is a BC-Model available, I dont see much of a problem - you can get BC if you feel its worth paying more. Will be interesting to see what happens when the stock of 60GB Versions is cleared - will Sony brew a cost reduced 60GB Version (like the 40GB Version), but with BC left intact? I surely think and hope so.

This is the thread on the Japanese console:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=44801

No rumble included in box.

That's right. This picture above already indicates so (No DS3):

16j2929.jpg

Since power consumption is 100W lower, are Cell and RSX both 65nm now ? Or just one of them ?

I'd say at least Cell... in terms of the rest, RSX seems likely, but the difference could be attributed to chipset considerations, lack of GS, newer-gen BD drive, etc... still 100 watts is a lot in computer terms for it to only be one of the major 2 ICs.

We'll know soon though (tomorrow?), that's for sure. :)

im very surprised to see Sony dropping BC on any PS3 model. But aslong as there still is a BC-Model available, I dont see much of a problem - you can get BC if you feel its worth paying more. Will be interesting to see what happens when the stock of 60GB Versions is cleared - will Sony brew a cost reduced 60GB Version (like the 40GB Version), but with BC left intact? I surely think and hope so.

I think Sony doesn't want to affect the selling of the old SKUs before they announce a new one. In NA they said the 60GB was discontinued and the 80GB is $599. All the fanboys said after the 60GB was gone they price point for a PS3 was going to be $600 for the holidays. Of course the truth is a $400 40GB and a price drop to $500 for the 80GB (announcement immanent). So the same could be true in the EU. Sell out the 60GB before they bring in the 80GB (with BC) at the same price.

considering the article says that 89% of the units sold were of the 60gb variety it might be better to say, threat of BC loss forces users to buy up remaining 60gb units.

QFT. Which made me wonder if it isn't another Sony Spin and they'll come out with another model with BC early next year...

They had to clear inventory.

Last edited by a moderator:
My take is people waiting for the anticipated price drop to £300-£350 saw the added value of the 60GB model so ponied up an extra £50 (which they'd have spent anyway) to grab it. I don't think BC was the only incentive. I question if it's any incentive! Would anyone here spend £50 ($100) just for BC if there were no extras? The added value of the 60GB model at a £75 price drop would be enough to generate that sort of sales spike regardless of a cheaper model.

I question if it's any incentive! Would anyone here spend £50 ($100) just for BC if there were no extras?

Without hesitation. But I have a large legacy of PS2 games, some of which are unfinished and still compelling enough to play. And then many others which I just enjoy going back to every now and then. Not saying I'm the typical example, just saying I would pay the extra $100 for BC (even if that was the only difference between 2 models).

I for one would have considered buying the 40GB model if it had BC as I wasn't really interested in MS and R:FOM (plenty of those on my 360).

...an extra £50 (which they'd have spent anyway)...

I would have been happy with one controller too (with rumble coming next year). I spend most of my time with the downloadable games at the moment.

Back