Rein (Epic) talks about Halo series' legacy for developers. Says Bungie "nailed it".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
Monday 1-Oct-2007 1:03 PM Epic boss says Halo ushered in the shooter console revolution Mark Rein, vice president of Gears of War developer Epic Games, has been talking about the success of the Halo franchise and says it's all down to its execution more than anything else.

The latest issue of OXM in the UK features an article about the effect of the Halo series, and why it's become so popular after just three games.

Rein is quoted as saying, "I don't look at Halo and go, 'That's the greatest graphics'. I don't look at Halo and go, 'Wow those are the coolest enemies ever'. I look at Halo and go 'They nailed it'. This game is so fun to play, everything works just right."

He continued, "It was the game that pretty much defined - I'm not going to say 100 percent because there were other games, Medal of Honor and games like that, that did such a good job as well. For me Halo ushered in the shooter console revolution. In other words, it showed everybody that, if you made a perfect shooter for the console, you would sell tons. So we owe Halo a lot."

Rein also believes that Bungie's shooter has done wonders for Epic's game engine licensing business too. "It's helped us move to console. It's helped our licensing business because we make an engine that a lot of shooters are made on.

"Halo to me is just perfectly executed. Halo 2? Same thing. Again, great execution. They took it and made it a little bit better and they set a new storyline... same thing, perfect execution."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=172894

A friendly word and a kind recognition for Bungie. He is probably right, Halo set a new standard back in the time.

Now we need a interview where Bungie thanks Valve for Half-Life :)
Sadly, as weird as it sounds I've never played Half Life, I remember watching people playing Counter Strike -which I thought it was a full game and not a mod- at an Internet cafe.

why? bungie was making shooters years before half-life.

Ya, Doom rip-offs like Marathon. I just recently re-played the beginning Halo 1, it was very simliar to how HL1 started. The flood are similar to the head crabs, the NPC interations and chatter were similar and novel for the time. I didn't mean to upset the Halo fans, these comparisons were made years ago.

Everyone stands on the shoulders of someone before them, games evolve and rarely invent.

Guys, we already have an overabundance of Halo3 threads. If also count the Bungie MS threads, we have an armada to invade a middle-sized thread country.

Plus, there's really not much to discuss here. Thus, locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back