Halo3 "matchmaking" - I don't think I get it.

Dave Glue

Regular
Well, I understand the reasons for having the feature to automatically find a game suited to your skill level of course, that's definitely great for new players so they don't get frustrated.

However, what I find amazing is that I just can't search for a particular gametype - especially co-op. Basically, I have to start a game and invite my friends, but of course they're not always available.

Is there a way to say, just search for co-op games and join? Am I missing something obvious here? The matchmaking process is incredibly tedious, it takes longer to start a game than to finish it.

4-player co-op is great, but with the current system I'll likely never experience it. I don't understand why the method GoW uses wouldn't have been an option.

I'm still playing through the campaign by myself first, so I can go at my own pace and wander around, check stuff out, etc. I haven't even tried getting into a coop game yet, and I hope it's not really that difficult, since Imy friend list is basically full of people I've played with once or twice. I only actually know a couple of people with 360's, and none of them cheap sumbitches has an xbox live account. Somebody should start up a B3D team/army/clan-type thingy perhaps.

Last edited by a moderator:
The lack of a game browser hurts that greatly I think. Even Doom 3 on Xbox had that, and it was always great just finding a random co-op buddy whenever I wanted.

You choose a general gametype. You can't search specific types since they are randomly generated once everyone is matched up to keep the gameplay fresh.

There are features called Custom Games and Forge that you can use to create your own game.

I would say ultimately you need to find more XBL friends so you won't have as much of a problem finding co-op/custom game partners.

The custom games is retarded because it's not broadcasted on a server browser and people can't just connect. They somehow need to find it?

I'd love to be able to browse custom games and join but no such luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, finding custom/co-op games only works for people on your Friends list. I don't know of a way to find those types of games for people who aren't on my Friends list.

Is match making supposed to take such time? I´ve been waiting 5 minutes for a social slayer match. I dont remember the beta being this slow.

Yeah, finding custom/co-op games only works for people on your Friends list. I don't know of a way to find those types of games for people who aren't on my Friends list.
Yes, I REALLY miss this feature from Gears of War. Finding coop games was very easy and you were immediately put in action.

I don't know why they can't implement this feature, adding players after a checkpoint doesn't sound unfeasible to me.

you can play with people that you recently played with aswell, but have to send them an invite

What I find people are doing is jumping in a multiplayer game and when the round is over sending some of the people that played invites for co-op. happened to me a couple time already

I don't like that the game stops if someone drops out of co-op. The game can be restarted but I would like it better f people were allowed to come and go

What I find funny is that when gears came out everyone was saying it should halo style match making:smile:

Perhaps the reason for the restrictions in co-op have something to do with the meta game scoring system?

@betan:
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but to my knowledge there is no way to find a random co-op game via the matchmaking system. The only way is if someone on your Friends List fires one up and sends you an invitation. It all has to happen through your Friends List.

Edit: I too liked the fact that I could be playing solo in Gears and then a Friend could drop in anytime and the game automatically became a co-op game. That was pretty cool.

@betan:
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but to my knowledge there is no way to find a random co-op game via the matchmaking system. The only way is if someone on your Friends List fires one up and sends you an invitation. It all has to happen through your Friends List.
Thanks that's what I thought.
The reason I asked is the amount of complaints about matchmaking system which doesn't seem to have anything to do with coop. Never mind.

Has bungie ever commented on their reasoning for not having a server browser for atleast custom game types? Not all of my friends are on at the same time always and it'd be a pain to try to gather up 12+ people.

I think the complaints about Matchmaking have to do with some people wanting a server/custom game browser, rather than having Halo automatically choose a game and opponents for you. At least, that has been the common complaint about Matchmaking since Halo 2 shipped.

I think the complaints about Matchmaking have to do with some people wanting a server/custom game browser, rather than having Halo automatically choose a game and opponents for you. At least, that has been the common complaint about Matchmaking since Halo 2 shipped.

As seen on other FPSs, a game can have both. I'm personally big fan of matchmaking.

Anyway, what about Forge games? I don't see how Forge can mean much without manual selection. Plus, a ranking system should have been in place. (or is it already?)

As seen on other FPSs, a game can have both. I'm personally big fan of matchmaking.

Anyway, what about Forge games? I don't see how Forge can mean much without manual selection. Plus, a ranking system should have been in place. (or is it already?)

Not sure about Forge games (I haven't fooled with that at all yet). I believe if someone creates a cool map variant in Forge, there is a way to upload it to Bungie.net so that anyone who wants it can get it. If Bungie creates a special playlist just for popular Forge maps, it shouldn't be too difficult to ensure that you have to have those map viarants before you can use that playlist.

In every Matchmaking game, your opponents are chosen based on your skill level (which is based on your past performances in matchmade games). It works pretty well to ensure that you get matched up with opponents who aren't considerably better or worse than you. Personally, I like Matchmaking because it is easy. Just pick a playlist and the game does the rest. But it would be nice to have a custom game browser for the times when you only want to play a certain game type on a certain map.

Back