Vista rant ---- MS must dump it...

I'd like to help you with this, but after several attempts, I've been unable to duplicate your problem.
It just happens... once in 100 attempts, ie very rarely, but so far only restart seems to fiz it :(, and on Core Duo 2.33 with 2GB ram and 2 hdds it takes 10 minutes... all I wanted to do was copy a iso image locally to burn a cd ... just goolge the error number and you'll see its known problem... although no mention of it searching through support.ms.com
Its these "small" glitches that ruin Vista's image. There are just too many of'em.
Like - how to always run a network based executable as administrator. via batch/script file ? Our accounting program is server based and obvioulsy changinfg exe's on 1 place is way easier than running around through 4-5 towns...

to all Vista-lovers.

I want to copy a 1.2GB file from dvd to my local hdd.
copy&pasting with explorer i get Error 0x800705aa (not enough resources bla-bla-bla)
google told me this problem persists in WHS too... and the supposed solution is:

TA-DAAAAAAAA:
use xcopy !

Now. Would you be so kind to give me a solution for this particular problem?. Thank you very much in advance.
Until then Vista sucks and I'll use it (because I have to) with disgust :D

PS: yes, xcopy does the job, and perhaps after restart maybe I'll be able to copy via explorer... so what :p

First, your description sucks. It would be easier to help you, if you copied the error message verbatim. ;)

Anyway, I think it's one of these two bugs:

Error message when you use a Windows Vista-based computer to try to access files on a Windows Vista-based file server: "<DriveLetter>:\ is not accessible. Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API"

Error message when you try to copy files from a Windows Vista-based computer to another computer by using Windows Explorer: "Out of memory There is not enough memory to complete this operation"

Had the latter a couple of times myself. If you follow the links to the knowledge base articles, there is a link on each page where you can request the respective hotfix . The hotfix usually arrives in less than a work day.

to all Vista-lovers.

I want to copy a 1.2GB file from dvd to my local hdd.
copy&pasting with explorer i get Error 0x800705aa (not enough resources bla-bla-bla)
google told me this problem persists in WHS too... and the supposed solution is:

TA-DAAAAAAAA:
use xcopy !

Now. Would you be so kind to give me a solution for this particular problem?. Thank you very much in advance.
Until then Vista sucks and I'll use it (because I have to) with disgust :D

PS: yes, xcopy does the job, and perhaps after restart maybe I'll be able to copy via explorer... so what :p

chavvdarr .... that is a known problem with a "requestable" patch that you can download. I do a lot of moving of data between drives and I hit that error many times and finally got off my duff to investigate. The use of xcopy just did not seem like a "solution". They have a fix that they are doing regression testing to release with Service Pack 1 but if you email then to request patch, they will answer back in 8 or so hours with download location and let you implement it in your current system.

It worked like a charm for me and have not got that damn resource error again.

Here is the info which includes the email link to get patch.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942435

I got too angry to go search and ask for hotfix (I saw hotfix mentioned) - after all its 1 year after Vista was RTM ...

It's not like XP wouldn't be getting hotfixes after what, 6-7 years after release?
I'm not quite sure if your problem is something that's affecting only some or all

It might be, that people expect more from Windows than from something like Linux, because they have to pay for it.

It might be, that people expect more from Windows than from something like Linux, because they have to pay for it.

Isn't there Linux distros out there too, that you can buy out from a store, which of course costs, but in return you get official support from the releaser for it?

Isn't there Linux distros out there too, that you can buy out from a store, which of course costs, but in return you get official support from the releaser for it?
Well, yes, but you get the same support as Microsoft offers for free in any case. You mostly pay for the additional support, which would require additional payments with Microsoft as well. Or being a big customer.

I tried vista for the first time today
i deleted a shortcut on the desktop
first i get a a calulating time to complete dialog that stays on screen for like 15 seconds
then i get a security dialog
then i get a confirm action dialog
wtf .......................

Did you install all the available hotfixes/patches ?
Did you disable UAC ?

But most of the time, you don't. Go to an OEM and buy a machine with Linux pre-installed, it doesn't cost any less. The average consumer is paying no more or less for Linux.

I bought a laptop for my beautiful wife and it came bundled with Vista Home Premium. The system seems to idle with 60%-75% of RAM utilization (1GB of memory shared) and it is very pocky. I disabled the 3D GUI, but still it is pretty slow. Everything runs well enough, but if this is how it ships, default, to new consumers... bleh. There is no reason a modern OS should be this slow.

Part of this, I am sure, is the pre-installed HP/Compaq junk. I need to go find a nice optimization guide for Vista... When I get more hands on time I may leave some more feedback.

So... you bought a laptop which shipped with an OS on it that doesn't run well... and you're blaming the OS?

WTF?

If it runs like shit return the damn laptop and ask them WTF they're doing selling something that doesn't appear able to run the thing they're selling it with!

So... you bought a laptop which shipped with an OS on it that doesn't run well... and you're blaming the OS?

WTF?

If it runs like shit return the damn laptop and ask them WTF they're doing selling something that doesn't appear able to run the thing they're selling it with!

I will give you a moment (or two) to reflect before I respond :LOL:

Vista is a dog with less than 2 gigs of RAM, in my experience... Crazy as that sounds.

I bought a laptop for my beautiful wife and it came bundled with Vista Home Premium. The system seems to idle with 60%-75% of RAM utilization (1GB of memory shared) and it is very pocky. I disabled the 3D GUI, but still it is pretty slow. Everything runs well enough, but if this is how it ships, default, to new consumers... bleh. There is no reason a modern OS should be this slow.

Part of this, I am sure, is the pre-installed HP/Compaq junk. I need to go find a nice optimization guide for Vista... When I get more hands on time I may leave some more feedback.

You're going to see ram utilization like that no matter how much ram you have. I have 4gb and my system idles at about 1.25gb used. Vista does a very effective job of caching, as well as releasing memory when it needs to. Regardless, you shouldn't run Vista on a system with less than 2gb of memory *shrug* That's just the ropes. Some people really prefer an OS thats bare bones and is nothing but a platform to launch their 3rd party appliciations. I like Vista because of all the features and useability improvements that it has. Hell, I shell out the money for a dual core system with 4gb of ram, I'd be pissed if I paid a lot of money for an OS that wont even use my machine to its potential. Anyway, that HP sold you a laptop with just 1gb of mem and Vista just shows how little they care about their customers out of the box experiance.

And yes, get rid of EVERY piece of HP software that you can. They're always bloated, redundant (because Vista can probably do anything that software does) and worst of all, useless.

Back