Vista rant ---- MS must dump it...

I'd like a Vista lite installation with simpler/less UI features, no windows media player and other apps, taking 1GB on disk (not counting swap and temp files) and 200MB ram or lower. and a reasonable price (40€ OEM, 100€ full version?). where can I sign up?
with Vista the under-the-hood looks great but I don't need or want a complicated userland and want to run my apps not MS media center, MS movie maker, MS ass wiper etc.

I wonder what's the status of Vista server (well, windows server 2008), did anyone try it? if I remember it should allow a command line installation :) so there would be quite some flexibility.
I tried server 2003 a few years ago, that was a very good desktop and gaming OS :), basically XP with the updated kernel, slim defaults and an Internet Explorer that isn't allowed to do anything. (though, XP with some configuration is as much usable)

Agreed. Let's go back to DOS. Oh wait, let's not.

That wasn't what I said. There's change for the better, there's change for the worse, and there's change for changes sake. Frankly from my experiences of Vista, it incorporate changes which fall in to all three of those categories.

So making blanket statements like "change is bad mmkay" or "change is good mmkay" is pretty stupid. Ridiculing people because they point out that a given change wasn't a change for the better is stupid too.

Been running Vista 32 Business since last May. Installed VIsta 64 Business lastnight. This is probably the second best OS upgrade I have been through. The first being 98->Win2K.

XP imo was a nice OS, but its day has come. Time to put a fork in her.

Been running Vista 32 Business since last May. Installed VIsta 64 Business lastnight. This is probably the second best OS upgrade I have been through. The first being 98->Win2K.

See, now that one (98>>Win2k) I had to bail out of. Had to do with having two NICs active at the same time. Win2k hated that. I was doing ICS and phoneline networking (pre-wireless) at the time. Needed one NIC for the DSL modem and one to the other PCs on the router-less network.

Well, a router wasn't the problem. . . I didn't want to wire the house!

I used existing phone wires as network cables a few years ago with the help of a screw terminal. I'm not sure what distance can be bridged or what transfer rates can be achieved that way but it worked fine for me (about 10m and 3 MBit for DSL).

No, no, no. . I refuse to use my time machine just to go back to 2000 and try it. I'm quite happy with wireless networking now! ;)

got a copy of vista-64 premium , installed to a new hd..
okay , it's messed my dual (xp/ubuntu)boot up ( but apparently thats fixable with an ubuntu live cd and some simple sudo nonsense and no worse than ubuntu has done in the past),,

but it's ace... i'm guessing primarily since the video drivers are more stable than they were earlier in the year that people are getting better experience of trying vista out?

now i just wish that adding 4gb (to make 6) with 2*2gb wasnt so expensive , obv i want to have a ram solution that i could only get in a 64bit os :) .

now i just wish that adding 4gb (to make 6) with 2*2gb wasnt so expensive , obv i want to have a ram solution that i could only get in a 64bit os :) .
Expensive? DDR2 has never been this cheap, 1GB 800MHz sticks under 20€, 2GB 800MHz sticks under 50€

After reading half of this thread, it appears to me that the reason why most people don't like Vista is because its different. "I don't know how to use this new OS, and what I was used to in XP is now slightly different. Therefore, because I can't be screwed learning how to use this OS, I'll just call it bad and evil and be done with it."

That about right?
That's what I'm seeing as well. People bitch about this and that, their points are shot down, and aside from namecalling and MS bashing the debate ends.

Recently there were some fantastic deals in the US:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mes...&threadid=783425&highlight_key=y&keyword1=4gb
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mes...&threadid=786992&highlight_key=y&keyword1=4gb

Converted directly, that's £16 for a 2GB stick! In a couple months you'll see similar prices in your neck of the woods.

Recently there were some fantastic deals in the US:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mes...&threadid=783425&highlight_key=y&keyword1=4gb
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mes...&threadid=786992&highlight_key=y&keyword1=4gb

Converted directly, that's £16 for a 2GB stick! In a couple months you'll see similar prices in your neck of the woods.

1. We don't get MIR here. Ever.
2. Add postage (=~£5, rarely free for any order less than £50)
3. Add 17.5% VAT (=sales tax).
4. Add 50% anyway, just because.

I mean sure, 2GB sticks will eventually be £16 inc P&P here, but it'll not be within months.

From a link in that link:

"Microsoft is requiring large PC makers to stop selling XP-based systems as of 31 January".

To be honest, I think thats a good thing. Its about time the hesitant masses were dragged into the 21st century. The PC can only move forward as a platform if people will accept new technology. The problem with Vista is that this wierd runnaway smear campaign against it is slowing that progress down. And the silly thing is, most of it is based on pure make believe.

That's what I'm seeing as well. People bitch about this and that, their points are shot down, and aside from namecalling and MS bashing the debate ends.
That assumes they are wrong not wanting to shell out 139-599 Euro, because it's the next best thing to sliced bread to a lot of people over here. Or simply, because they don't see it as an improvement and they liked the way things worked, thank-you-very-much.

Are you simply backwards because you don't feel anything new is better and a must-have?

I'm a programmer, and I like KISS. I like small Linux systems much better than any amount of bloat and unneeded glitter and glamour.

"If you cannot remove anything anymore, you're done. If you cannot add anything anymore, it's FUBAR."

Back