Vista rant ---- MS must dump it...

I have a life, so with the whole longhorn sans longhorn's best stuff... we have "vista" Been wasting years trying , beta_ing ect , RC this!
Glad you all love it. but i notice the best running Vista installs are ran by IT in corporate settings, and freeks who really have no life but to make vista run well.... Try and upgrade vista to your moms rig ( your old gaming machince), Or buy grandma a new comp with vista on it when she only just figured out win98... and all she does is browse/email. No Vista is lame. Lame for the lame folk, and a pain in the ass for us guys who need to help the lame... I have a life, Vista wont take it from me anymore. Call me when longhorn really arrives.... For now i will spend my time showing Nana how much prettier Gentoo is than Aero... lol Aero....

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh that was some Vista hostility! Look what MS does to us. Makes us all bitter and full of angst and stuff.

Try and upgrade vista to your moms rig ( your old gaming machince), Or buy grandma a new comp with vista on it when she only just figured out win98...
Been there, done this. P4 2.4 rig with a gig of ram and a 128mb 9800non-pro AGP card. Upgraded from WinXP home edition to Vista Home Premium.

Zero issues.

None.

Office worked. Her documents were there. Even her wallpaper was there. Hell, even the settings for her icon size, Outlook's display options and toolbar preferences came over.

And ease of use? Where's the start button? Where's the programs list? Where are my documents? Guess what -- they're all exactly where they were before. I don't even understand people who try to make these stupid claims about it taking forever to get used to the interface.

Here's a hint: Mom doesn't give two shits about the Control panel. So the three times she's ever been in there, it's also been while I'm on the phone with her. Everything else is exactly where she left it, insofar as she's concerned.

Ever stop to consider maybe it's YOU who has no effing clue WTF you're talking about?

I have a life, so with the whole longhorn sans longhorn's best stuff... we have "vista" Been wasting years trying , beta_ing ect , RC this!
Glad you all love it. but i notice the best running Vista installs are ran by IT in corporate settings, and freeks who really have no life but to make vista run well.... Try and upgrade vista to your moms rig ( your old gaming machince), Or buy grandma a new comp with vista on it when she only just figured out win98... and all she does is browse/email. No Vista is lame. Lame for the lame folk, and a pain in the ass for us guys who need to help the lame... I have a life, Vista wont take it from me anymore. Call me when longhorn really arrives.... For now i will spend my time showing Nana how much prettier Gentoo is than Aero... lol Aero....
Guess you dont mind missing out on the security improvements and stability improvements and of course.. DX10.
If you use gentoo I suppose you don't do much gaming. But uh on my modest machine (2.3ghz opty 2G of ram) Vista runs great. Sp1 will bring some (supposedly) big performance improvements as well. My mom has a new laptop with vista home on it, no complaints either. The only thing that might confuse newbies is the the way the start menu is now organized.

Zero issues. None. " i am a tool" [/QUOTE said:
Yes you are a tool. Get up off your knees Bill is done. Be sure to keep up the love for MS.
And if this makes you feel better. i have Vista have had it since forever. As for security...just stop, as for Dx10.. plze just stop you look silly. SP1 will be great:rolleyes:
Funny how i can be attacked for saying Vista is lame . i guess i need to leave a smiley:???:

Yes you are a tool. Get up off your knees Bill is done. Be sure to keep up the love for MS.
And if this makes you feel better. i have Vista have had it since forever. As for security...just stop, as for Dx10.. plze just stop you look silly. SP1 will be great:rolleyes:
Funny how i can be attacked for saying Vista is lame . i guess i need to leave a smiley:???:

That was a productive post.

For the record, i have had no issues with Vista either. Its been a generally smoother and more pleasant experience than using XP. Speed and stability have been at least on a par while it looks much better and simply has lots of *little* improvements which all add up to a much better experience overall.

Interestingly pretty much every non tech geek that I know thinks Vista is better and I doubt you will find many joe averages that wouldn't prefer a nicer looking, more feature rich OS over XP. Sure some will have come across Vista haters who have spread fud about it being a buggy pile of sh***, but any Joe thats simply experienced it first hand without someone whispering in their ear seems to prefer it. That alone suggests its better for the average user (and why woudn't it be given that it was specifically designed so).

It's a pity that having to be granny-compatible pretty much rules out any UI innovation. Vista's UI is basically the same as it was in windows 95.

Or perhaps there aren't that many innovations to be made with current input methods.

You're a troll.

It's a pity that having to be granny-compatible pretty much rules out any UI innovation. Vista's UI is basically the same as it was in windows 95.

Or perhaps there aren't that many innovations to be made with current input methods.

Funny you should say that when the specs for Compiz Fusion/Beryl in Linux or Quartz Extreme/Core Image in MacOS X have the exact same requirements to function (Shader Model 2.0 GPU) as Vista's AERO Glass DWM...
Also, each of these three OS'es also work in non-SM 2.0 cards, in a legacy-type desktop (no GPU 3D composition).

Funny you should say that when the specs for Compiz Fusion/Beryl in Linux or Quartz Extreme/Core Image in MacOS X have the exact same requirements to function (Shader Model 2.0 GPU) as Vista's AERO Glass DWM...
Also, each of these three OS'es also work in non-SM 2.0 cards, in a legacy-type desktop (no GPU 3D composition).
Well actually I meant that even my granny should be able to use Vista just the way she used 95 without getting lost :)

Well actually I meant that even my granny should be able to use Vista just the way she used 95 without getting lost :)

So is your granny unable to click the "new" start button? Do programs not show up in her start menu? Do things not show up on her desktop? Does the location of shutdown somehow confuse her?

I need someone to please explain how the Vista UI is such a radical departure from every other Windowed OS on the planet. Seriously. Because I'm not understanding how Granny is missing everything she had in 95...

I need someone to please explain how the Vista UI is such a radical departure from every other Windowed OS on the planet. Seriously. Because I'm not understanding how Granny is missing everything she had in 95...
Err.. That's what I just said. The UI is not a departure. It's basically win95 with shaders. Which is a pity.

Err.. That's what I just said. The UI is not a departure. It's basically win95 with shaders. Which is a pity.

I think you may have hot the nail on the head though when you said that with current input devices there isnt much room for innovation. Certainly the interface is largely the same as it was with 95 but there has been a hell of a lot of refinement gone on between then and Vista (and just between Vista and XP, e.g. look how the calender int he task bar works).

However its not like MS can't innovate on user interfaces. XB Live is accepted as a leader in the console arena and Media Centre is of similar quality for HTPC's. And that table PC thing they came up with recently looks amazing. Thats a good example of how new input methods will revolutionise the user interface but until we go touchscreen, I don't think the interface leaves much room for improvement.

So instead, you wanted vista to be some radically new UI? Microsoft tried this with Office 2007 and the "ribbon", and all the geeks balked and cried and talked shit. What's REALLY funny about this is, several independant studies have shown that the ribbon actually does do better for people who are new to the application...

So basically no matter what Microsoft does, it will be too little, too late, too much, too early, overdone, but undercooked. Am I right? Yes, of course I am, because the only acceptable stance on Microsoft is that they're greedy, inept and wholly against every freedom and right you were ever born with.

Oh, and in case you missed it...
</SARCASM>

This guys research and basis of argument is solid /sarcasm

Think this article can be summed up as "I think Vista sucks because it does. Dont argue with me because you are wrong, I just proved it".

Doesnt appear to have any real issues with Vista just tosses out vague theories.

I love the MS should abandon Vista comment. I am sure MS is going to call him and offer a VP position like yesterday. Where do these people come up with this crap? MS is in for a rough holiday season? What consitutes a rough holiday season? Only capturing 98.2% of the desktop market vs 99%?

I am sure MS is just shaking in their boots at the thought Apple might break 2% marketshare.

People like this live in a dreamworld.

I am sure MS is just shaking in their boots at the thought Apple might break 2% marketshare.

People like this live in a dreamworld.

Its more like 7% but your argument is just as valid ;)

In fact all this talk of Vista doing badly and Mac OS sales surging as a result is nothing but rubbish

The real strory is that Vista already has a solid lead over Mac OS after, what? 10 months on the market? Mac OS's sales are growing at a good rate (relatively speaking) but Vista is growing much faster, even at this early stage. And to put "good growth" into context when we are referring to Mac OS, a 0.46% (of total market) jump over the previous month is considered very strong. Meanwhile XP's market share continues to fall.

http://xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20071002235454.html

Vista is penetrating the market slower than XP did but so did XP compared to 98. And where is 98 today?

I estimate this time next year Vista will be 20-25% of the market. In two years it will probably take over XP. Its growth is slower no doubt but its growing just fine nonetheless and its here to stay.

As for Mac OS, unless something major happens, I don't expect it to break 10% before Vista overtakes XP.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/13303

The Vista nerd rage feedback loop
by Cyril Kowaliski — 3:46 PM on October 1, 2007

Ask anyone in the techie community about Windows Vista, and they'll tell you the same thing: Microsoft's latest operating system is a failure. It's slow, bloated, and riddled with flaws. Nobody's buying it, and it's pretty much Redmond's biggest blunder since Windows ME. There's a very strong consensus on this, and you'll no doubt conclude that Vista is indeed both an awful piece of software and a commercial failure—that is, until you talk to actual Vista users or, heaven forbid, Microsoft itself.

I think Vista is about as bad as every other early-on release of an OS from MS.

-DOS got better and better until it sorta peaked with DOS 6 and higher
--Win 3.1 was a lot nicer than earlier stuff
---Win 95 was neat, but OSR2 was a serious improvement
----98 SE was a major improvement to buggy-but-decent 98
-----Win 2k was massively better than NT 4
------XP really took the best of 9x and 2K and combined them very successfully
-------XP SP2 is an excellent overhaul of XP.

Vista will surely be quite acceptable once they get all the worldwide early-adopter beta-testing out of the way. :) A service pack or two and people will be willing to argue for it and defend it over whatever MS's next not-quite-finished release is. But hey, software never works right. Having 50 million testers is better than they can do in-house, ya know!?

It's really all rather predictable.

As for its ME quotient, well who knows. ME was ok, really, but it wasn't much of an improvement over anything. Except perhaps aesthetically (it did look like 2K, better than 98SE). It was a stop-gap because Neptune went nowhere and XP was far from ready. I'm not sure if Vista is a stop-gap. I don't really think so tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back