E6750 under Windows lower Core Speed ?

rainz

Veteran
Hi guys,

Just switched to Intel after like 10years of AMD and just tried to load CPU-Z to see if everything is fine.

I'm supposed to be at 2.66Ghz (stock) @ Multiplier X 8.0 ( it's locked in the Bios to be 8.0 )

And when i'm under Windows CPU-Z says x 6.0 = 2003.8 Mhz ..

It's a kind of underclocking longevity that i'm not aware of for 2D apps ? Any ways to turn this thing off ?

In Bios:
Multiplier: 8.0
Bus Speed 333
FSB 333 = 1333

Thanks already.

Try to put a load on the CPU and watch what happens in CPU-Z.

run a benchmarking proggy of some sort and recheck. By default clocks are throttled when not needed to conserve energy. In XP you'd go to power profiles to disable this.

Yeah i know when the CPU loads something it's then running where it should be but since it's WindowsXP doing this .. is it reliable ? is it bottlenecking sometimes like for a 1sec ? Not really going to OC this cpu yet .. i care more about stability right now.

Thanks

I haven't had any problems with the CPU running at anything else than full speed when it's under load. The ratio change only happens for me when there is no load to speak of.

where exactly i turn this off btw ?

Thanks

EDIT: I got a game in background (alt-tab'd) and still 2003mhz .. i want to turn this thing off.

where exactly i turn this off btw ?

Thanks

EDIT: I got a game in background (alt-tab'd) and still 2003mhz .. i want to turn this thing off.

That's because your background game isn't nearly enough to stress the CPU, especially when alt-tabbed.
Try running SuperPi with CPU-Z in the back measuring the MHz and see what happens. ;)
There's no lag, the switch to "high gear" of the CPU is done on the nanosecond level, so it's practically instantaneous.

But if you really want to get rid of it, try looking in the BIOS for something like "EIST", "SpeedStep" or "C1E" and turn them off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try running SuperPi with CPU-Z in the back measuring the MHz and see what happens. ;)

Yeh i know that but what if you want to start OCing your CPU like mad .. Your CPU could be unstable in windows and you wont realize it untill you start an application.

Btw do you know where to turn this thing off ? I didnt have that with my AMD.

In the BIOS of the motherboard... check the manual.

No help in the manual .. that's the first thing i have checked before posting here.

But i found out on the asus forum

I had to disable C1E and EIST ... Now it's working!
And if you check in the manual for that it's Enable = Enable it / Disable = Disable it ! BIG help!

It's just clocking down when it's not in heavy use, to save power.
Amd does with as well, called cool&quiet.
You didn't gain anything by disabling it, you just increased your power usage when idle.
It ramps up underload.
And it's not any different that when you start overclocking a cpu it may only have problems once it's underload.
You dont test an overclock with the system just sitting idle ;)

You shouldn't do that, you're just wasting electricity for no gain.

But hey, it's your choice.

Yeh i know that but what if you want to start OCing your CPU like mad .. Your CPU could be unstable in windows and you wont realize it untill you start an application.

Btw do you know where to turn this thing off ? I didnt have that with my AMD.

If you had any Athlon 64 or later CPU (and even some earlier Athlon XP/MP/Mobile XP models) you'd have had something similar already.

The difference was that AMD's Cool'n'Quiet counterpart to Intel's SpeedStep required a separate software driver under Windows XP (i think Vista already has that built-in, but i'm not sure) in addition to the BIOS Setting, but the effect (dynamic clockspeed/core voltage regulation) was already there.

Even if the CPU runs full speed while overclocked it's unlikely you'd notice any problems when just sitting in windows.

Don't turn off powersaving. All you do is burn power and create waste heat that vents into your home, potentially causing any A/C you may have to kick in early, thus wasting even more.

Your CPU will ramp up when you need it to, automatically.
Peace.

Back