Halo 3 IQ discussion * - Stay civil and polite folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, folks if you want to discuss the benefits of plasma, crt or whatever over LCD, OLED or some kind of futuristic man-machine interface, I'm fairly sure our other forum areas will gladly accommodate you.

This is a Halo IQ thread and IMO a screen capture stays a screen capture, regardless of the output device (You might choose to look at .50's capture on a device of your chosing, I am not interfering with that :p ). Features (AA, filtering, polycounts, etc., same goes for HDR lighting) stay features regardless of the output device. .

If you really want to have serious debate on the visual fidelity, you'll have to objectify it and not subjectify it. Unfortunately, saying it looks ace on my TV from maker XY from the distance of 1.5 non-standard Arabian fathoms is not gonna cut it.

So I'd really appreciate it, if the further discussions will be
A) more fact-based (There's also a HDR thread in the tech forum, for those will to debate, whether or not Halo HDR implementation is worth it / overkill / etc.).
or
B) more fleshed out: I am not liking it because ...

Otherwise, I see really no hope for this thread at all.

EDIT: I felt the need to clarify this before I get angry letters from people telling me how angry they are (Team America FTW BTW):

Nobody doubts that Halo3 looks better on a plasma TV, but the only valid argument in the context of this thread would be: Halo3 benefits more than any other game from the use of a plasma display because (these are just random brainfart examples) A) the colour space of Halo fits perfectly in the colour space of a plasma TV (much to the dismay of LCD owners) B) Halo's HDR needs at least a colour contrast bigger than X (much to the dismay of LCD owners) due to its HDR implementation
Now mind you, this will be very hard to prove (and by that I mean really prove not "it looks better than game X on my plasma"). So the little Wittgenstein in my ear screams from the top of his (or my?) lungs: "If you can't talk about it, you shan't talk about it". I.e. If you have no hard data for that, you can't start a reasonable discussion / investigation on that, "Inaccessible information is as good as unknown".

EDIT2: messed up a quote

EDIT3: Calling it an Xbox1 game etc, is not going to be tolerated either. Just so we're clear.

I can't help but feeling like most of the art time was spend on MC & the arbiter and not much else..
As for the MC, most likely. There's a reason so many of the "great" shots feature the MC, it's by far the most impressive model in the game.

That's pretty much what it looks like for me on my monitor as well. I'm sure if I had a plasma that obscured all of these jaggies and where the HDR bleed would further help I'd be more appreciative of the graphics...

You gotta see that scene in motion though,
you're baggin it in your warthog, explosions everywhere, enemies running everywhere, huge battles between the covenant and flood as you rip through, it's pretty cool.

But I admit, I was wondering how I suddenly ended up on a giant lego construction set :???: They obviously had to go with very low texture detail in that scene to keep the framerate going

I'm still wondering what the Reference Levels of your 360 are...

Compare your dashboard to my shot and you have your answer.

You gotta see that scene in motion though,
you're baggin it in your warthog, explosions everywhere, enemies running everywhere, huge battles between the covenant and flood as you rip through, it's pretty cool.

I wouldn't give it that much credit :p The number of enemies in each area is fairly consistent with what you were facing earlier in the game. Ill have a video of this section up in a little bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is turning into a joke - no, it's already one. The only topic is criticizing a game's lack of AA and AF for 17 pages, even though it's in the majority of today's releases in this regard. But it's Halo3 and so the bashing is OK, right?
Beyond3D used to be better then this... and now it seems that some of the mods are even encouraging this behavior.

Delete this post, ban me, it won't matter - I know that a lot of people agree with me on this. The forums are going down, and even though it's a long way to the level of SDF, I'm very sad to see this trend.

This thread is turning into a joke - no, it's already one. The only topic is criticizing a game's lack of AA and AF for 17 pages, even though it's in the majority of today's releases in this regard. But it's Halo3 and so the bashing is OK, right?
Beyond3D used to be better then this... and now it seems that some of the mods are even encouraging this behavior.

Delete this post, ban me, it won't matter - I know that a lot of people agree with me on this. The forums are going down, and even though it's a long way to the level of SDF, I'm very sad to see this trend.

Not that I don't agree with your points Laa-Yosh..

But in all fairness isn't that what this entire thread is supposed to be about?

At the end of the day when your having an entire discussion on the IQ of a particular game then you either have pages and pages of people praising it or arguing over which platform version has it better (the latter of which soon devolves into meta-discussions regarding multiplatform dev bashing, "they're lazy, stupid, noobs, illiterate..." that kind of thing..) or slamming it because it is in itself pretty bad..

It just so happens that most games released on PS3 & Xbox360 have pretty good IQ generally and thus these discussions become rather pedantic and fickle..

In this case however you have a game which is supposed to be the pen-ultimate experience in term of MS's iconic vision of "next-gen gaming" and the IQ is just plain bad.. Worse than alot of games from pretty terrible devs too which is predominanlt why this discussion has gone on for so long..

How did a game like Halo get away with this? How much do people actually care?
These are the kinds of questions being asked and answered here (besides the odd post of someone chipping in to give a little offtopic insight into their gameplay experience) & to me it doesn't come off wholey like "20 pages of Halo Bashing" like you seem to believe..

The thread was a joke, but StefanS cleaned it up, it's back on track.

I just got to the first flood level last night. I expect the lighting to do some extra lifting here, the exterior crash sight was pretty impressive, even without an uber plasma display.

Perhaps some members have been a bit overzealous in their comments, but I think you are being a tad unreasonable as well. To suggest that direct captures from the game don't represent it because you aren't viewing them on TV is just silly. You've been here a long time and I always thought you were a pretty rational and level headed person but these posts in this topic really show some kind of strange devotion to Halo 3. Does it really upset you that much that people complain about the graphics? The game was hyped up massively, so if it doesn't beat out or be on par with something like Gears of course there is going to be a negative reaction.

The aliasing in this game is pretty huge, partially due to the resolution its running in and being upscaled. The AF is also extreme, just take a look at this jungle shot:
http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/071003-0853290421-1280x720.jpg

I've taken a break from the boards because I didn't like the direction they were taking but I returned because I thought I could give some much needed input on this topic, and hopefully in the future do the same for other games. Perhaps a break is what you need as well.

Side Note: If the site needs capturing services for articles on console games I'm available ;)

I wouldn't give it that much credit :p The number of enemies in each area is fairly consistent with what you were facing earlier in the game. Ill have a video of this section up in a little bit.

Not enemies
The whole thing collapses if you take too long

If you have feedback about the way a thread or the forum is going then take it up in PM or site feedback. You, nor anyone else, gets to disrupt a thread because you don't like the way it's going even tho the comments are on-point for the thread topic. What you're doing right there is called thread-crapping, so quit it.

I'm not the least bit surprised that this forum would go ape cacca over <720 Halo 3 with no AA and crappy (bilinear?) filtering. I don't know who promised anybody "the pen-ultimate experience in terms of MS's iconic vision of next-gen gaming", but I think we can all agree that the game is not the technical marvel some thought (hoped) it would be.
On paper, it's a shitty looking game. To the average user of this forum looking at it from a technical perspective (evidently), it's a shitty looking game. To the average consumer, it's a fantastic looking game. To my own eyeballs, it looks like a pretty game with amazing lighting, nice, detailed textures, and lousy filtering that can be pretty distracting in certain areas. I still believe a lot of it comes down to personal preference. Some people have certain graphical pet-peeves, and will find certain things more irritating than others.
Certainly, the average videogamer/Halo fan isn't losing any sleep over AA, AF, native resolution, etc. In fact, the general consensus seems to be that Halo 3 is a good looking game. Just about every review was positive as far as visuals are concerned. Somebody made an excellent point earlier in this thread, which is basically that to the average conumer/gamer, art rules and IQ takes a distant second. That couln't be more true, in my opinion.
By the way, let me say this; Without a doubt, that driving sequence was, at least visually, the lamest part of the entire game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back