PS3 Price drop and 40GB SKU confirmed *

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nor the vents all along the bottom. That has to be 65 nm.

Does it? I saw a lot of people commenting that the removal of the heatpipe from some recent x360s doesn't mean a move to 65nm, I'm uncertain this is any different. It certainly hints at a change in heat output, but that doesn't necessarily mean a move to 65nm.

Does it? I saw a lot of people commenting that the removal of the heatpipe from some recent x360s doesn't mean a move to 65nm, I'm uncertain this is any different. It certainly hints at a change in heat output, but that doesn't necessarily mean a move to 65nm.

The regular culprits need to buy this thing and let us take a peek inside. I think the Xbox one showed too little "down-sizing" in the chip size (Haven't paid much attention to it, sorry :oops:)

How else can their absence be explained? XB360 isn't a good example because we know the heat solution was poorly handled, and since the extra cooler, any absence (unconfirmed?) could be a fixed cooling solution elsewhere in the cooling chain, making up for the prior bodge-job. PS3 didn't have a cooling problem, and was clearly well engineered. I'm guessing those holes were put in as a measured consideration of airflow, and now that's not needed, it points to less heat. Or the holes being moved elsewhere, I guess. As 65nm has been on the cards for ages, including IIRC comments from Sony that 65nm would be rolled out in a SKU that benefits from the cost saving of the shrink, I'd be very surprised if the 40GB isn't on the smaller node.
Scooby said:
Or it could just be a mockup, like the first 80GB PS3 mockups at E3 which lacked vents.
Well, there is that ;). They don't need a mockup though, as they've been making the things for a while now. Long enough to get some into the stores anyhow. Why not take a photo of the real thing, especially when you're showing a photo of a real PS3 instead of the earlier mockup?

Well, there is that ;). They don't need a mockup though, as they've been making the things for a while now. Long enough to get some into the stores anyhow. Why not take a photo of the real thing, especially when you're showing a photo of a real PS3 instead of the earlier mockup?

Arguing about real-time in-reality photos, eh? It could be a target render. ;)

Super awesome news! Although the the official price for this model is 479€ in Finland, which makes me quite angry actually... 399€ is the price I'm willing to pay and that is it! I hope I can get it somewhere for that price.

I find it extremely strange that a new, 40GB model would not have no BC whatsoever.

I mean, will new model have different firmware than older model?

And most importantly when next firmware will be available will there be TWO of them? One for model with no BC and one for BC?

Or will Sony even "enforce" (too simplify ) only one firmware, which has no BC, even on older models at some stage in the future?

I find it extremely strange that a new, 40GB model would not have no BC whatsoever.

I mean, will new model have different firmware than older model?

And most importantly when next firmware will be available will there be TWO of them? One for model with no BC and one for BC?

Or will Sony even "enforce" (too simplify ) only one firmware, which has no BC, even on older models at some stage in the future?
It's no different from the OS checking presence of other hardwares in PS3 such as card readers and WiFi.

But current PS3 EU models already have software BC. The difference with that and upcoming 40GB model is just too great to completely ditch software BC.

And I would it find it extremely sad to install linux on PS3 just to try how can console emulate its predecessor (PCSX2) :???:

But current PS3 EU models already have software BC. The difference with that and upcoming 40GB model is just too great to completely ditch software BC.

And I would it find it extremely sad to install linux on PS3 just to try how can console emulate its predecessor (PCSX2) :???:

Partial software. GC has gone.

They've made the desiion and they'll role with it, because it will most likely cost more to research full software BC than it is to have the GC in the machine. So if the 40gb doesn't sell then they'll just ditch it, and I doubt they'd blame it not selling on no BC.

My problem is how to inform consumers that it's not BC. I'm sure many won't expect it, but some may - and plastering a negative on a box is never a good thing "DOES NOT SUPPORT PS2 GAMES".
Hmm...

What's also strange is that the 60gb got cut in price (i was expecting this) but that the two free games are also staying. In the UK you buy first party ps3 games for £30 (retail £40) - 60gb with two games priced at £349...40gb with no games £299. I know which I'd go for...if I didn't want the games, I'd just sell them, and it would be cheaper than the 40gb :/ and the 40 has less lol

I guess that's the plan of them, people like you will run to buy the more expensive version ;) Also the PS2 is still relatively strong in the EU market, for those who think PS2 is enough or recently bought a new PS2, the price of the "full" PS3 with PS2 BC was too high. There may be people who buy their second PS3 (with a 120GB HDD as David Reeves mentioned) to get BC in future when their PS2 die.

As for the US, previously it was 60GB/20GB models, but both were too expensive for consumers. With the 40GB version dipping into the affordable price range, it's more likely to work as they expected.

How else can their absence be explained? XB360 isn't a good example because we know the heat solution was poorly handled, and since the extra cooler, any absence (unconfirmed?) could be a fixed cooling solution elsewhere in the cooling chain, making up for the prior bodge-job. PS3 didn't have a cooling problem, and was clearly well engineered. I'm guessing those holes were put in as a measured consideration of airflow, and now that's not needed, it points to less heat. Or the holes being moved elsewhere, I guess. As 65nm has been on the cards for ages, including IIRC comments from Sony that 65nm would be rolled out in a SKU that benefits from the cost saving of the shrink, I'd be very surprised if the 40GB isn't on the smaller node.

I'm not saying its not 65nm, I'm just saying the absence of a vent is far from confirmation that it is 65nm. They could have changed something else that removes the need for that port, perhaps the removal of other features (usb ports etc) opened up better cooling making the vents redundant.

I'm not saying its not 65nm, I'm just saying the absence of a vent is far from confirmation that it is 65nm. They could have changed something else that removes the need for that port, perhaps the removal of other features (usb ports etc) opened up better cooling making the vents redundant.
I'd say the best indication of 65nm is Sony stating that they're set to loose less per unit on the new model. I have a hard time seeing how a smaller hard drive and nixing the GS could make up >$100. Still, sans confirmation it's all just conjecture at this point.

Kudos to Sony, clearly they were in a desperate place and did what had to be done. And in one short year PS3 is reasonably affordable. Now MS need to follow suit and make this a real price war.

But, what if PS3 still doesn't sell at 399 (USA)? That's the ugly scenario, because I'm sure they cant drop again untl Winter 2008 at the earliest.

Also, running these currency conversion, these are still around $600 in American money. 399 Euro=$563. 299 Pound=$610. That's still the pricepoint that couldn't move units in USA. Of course, I think tax is included. In USA tax isn't, so a $399 PS3 is ~$440 after tax.

What does Xbox 360 cost in Europe?

$563 [...] $610 [...] That's still the pricepoint that couldn't move units in USA.
Not a totally fair comparison. The fact that $USD has tanked doesn't really make the consoles more expensive domestically in Europe. If anything, a continued weak dollar might force price hikes in the US or delay price cuts for merchandise not sourced in $USD. A more reasonable conversion yields the equivalent of $430 plus tax for a €399 RRP European price.

Not a totally fair comparison. The fact that $USD has tanked doesn't really make the consoles more expensive domestically in Europe. If anything, a continued weak dollar might force price hikes in the US or delay price cuts for merchandise not sourced in $USD. A more reasonable conversion yields the equivalent of $430 plus tax for a €399 RRP European price.

I dont know what this means. What are you referring to "a more reasonable conversion?" All I did was stick the Euro/GBP (399/299) price in yahoo currency converter, which I'm sure is up to date with all the latest currency fluctuations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back