PS3 Price drop and 40GB SKU confirmed *

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having done some back of the envelope NPV calculations assuming conservative 8% discount rate based on comparable for Nikkei-225 Electronics from Datastream, assuming GS costs $10 (at 90nm) and Sony best case scenario manages to shift 65mn (yes let's imagine that!) consoles from this point onwards the NPV saving would be $370mn. Not something to scoff at.

What makes you think the GS could ever possibly be $10??

I'm pretty darn certain the manufacturing cost of the chip is (even today) going to be alot higher than that..

What makes you think the GS could ever possibly be $10??

I'm pretty darn certain the manufacturing cost of the chip is (even today) going to be alot higher than that..

Not a lot of transistors. In any case, if costs >$10 it illustrates further that they will make a substantial saving

- A 40GB hard drive is, again, enough. The X360 Premium survived very well on the market with a hard drive half that size for 2 years now.

Just to put it on record, 20Gb is not sufficient for this PS3 owner. I had to clear out my HDD every Thursday before I download stuff from PSN (I really wanted to keep some). What works for 360 may not work for PS3.

I have recently switched to a 60Gb one.

40Gb should be ok... for now.

Just to put it on record, 20Gb is not sufficient for this PS3 owner. I had to clear out my HDD every Thursday before I download stuff from PSN (I really wanted to keep some). What works for 360 may not work for PS3.

It doesn't work for the 360 either. I hate that little hard drive. Further hampered by a poor file management system (comparatively speaking to the XMB for deleting stuff, that is).

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2007/10/ps3-lie-watch-gold-phil-harrison-on-why.html

Beyond the fun factor, it does raise an interesting question. Why are they making all these SKU changes all the time?

Darwin answered this one. Natural selection requires adaptation.

They are in a pretty bad spot in the marketplace, the machine was over engineered from the beginning and they have to get the price down as fast as possible.

EDIT: Pictures at SCEE show the new version has less vents, confirmation of 65nm?

Why not just buy a larger HDD that fits your needs? Prices are coming down on 2.5" drives.

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2007/10/ps3-lie-watch-gold-phil-harrison-on-why.html

Beyond the fun factor, it does raise an interesting question. Why are they making all these SKU changes all the time?

I'm not sure this was a serious question or not, but here in NA we had a 20GB and 60GB. They are replaced in a staggered fashion with an 80GB and soon 40GB, both for cost cutting reasons. I assume the other regions are the same.

It's no more confusing than a Core, Premium (with and without HDMI), Elite, Halo 3 SE, Arcade bundle, Premium bundle, Elite bundle, white, black and Halo 3 controllers, etc.

Why not just buy a larger HDD that fits your needs? Prices are coming down on 2.5" drives.

Since I bought BestBuy's extended store warranty, I traded my 20Gb for a brand new 60Gb for free about 3 weeks ago :D (Didn't want to swap to a 40Gb one, so I quickly exchanged it before the 40Gb rumor comes true).

Software BC is more then unlikely IMHO. I can't see them emulating the huge internal bandwith of the GS.
The bandwidth is really not an issue, RSX outperforms GS any day of the week from this standpoint.
GS had huge bandwidth..and the dumbest rasterizer ever (memory pages crossing for the win..)

So the "old" PS3 will retain BC but will be phased out as time goes by or Sony will play smart and have a "cheap" PS3 and a expensive PS3 with all features?

EDIT: I´m very curious on the US dollar price :)

So the "old" PS3 will retain BC but will be phased out as time goes by or Sony will play smart and have a "cheap" PS3 and a expensive PS3 with all features?

EDIT: I´m very curious on the US dollar price :)

How much for extra warranty in the US ?
Remember that, in the EU space, any electronics equipment (and lots of others, like cars and such) are required by law to carry a minimum 2-year warranty period.

How much for extra warranty in the US ?
Remember that, in the EU space, any electronics equipment (and lots of others, like cars and such) are required by law to carry a minimum 2-year warranty period.

What i meant was compared to the $1000 dollars i paid in Europe for the PS3 when it was $599 in the US what will the price reduction be in the US. $299 would be a dream $349 is something that could be hope for.

Self explanatory

ps34060.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back