The Tzar Bomb - In Prospective

I laughed. :smile:

Seems though like a waste when you already have enough to annihilate the other side of the world..

Even a waste from a military point of view. It was a PR stunt more than a weapon.

At least they're a little more environmentally conscious these days :)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0LnPcSaRA2w

Incidentally the Tzar Bomb it the cleanest bomb ever detonated (fallout/megaton). In the full +100MT configuration, with a uranium tamper, it would have been quite another story.

Cheers

Even a waste from a military point of view. It was a PR stunt more than a weapon.

Incidentally the Tzar Bomb it the cleanest bomb ever detonated (fallout/megaton). In the full +100MT configuration, with a uranium tamper, it would have been quite another story.

Cheers

Yeah it would have, but they never actually reached that target, 90 MT thermonuclear weapon was the most powerful nuke USRR built, which wasn't even in service.

I would have loved to see one go off though

I can't imagine the height, width and depth of the mushroom cloud being directly proportional to yield. That scale is just a glorified bar graph.

Why does it end up as a mushroom cloud though? They seem to start hemispherical...

I'd assume it's because you clearly see a ground shockwave (huge front of dust spreading out) in that movie..

The movie linked at the start of the thread said the tsar exploded high up in the air.

From here
The effects were spectacular. Despite the very substantial burst height of 4,000 m (13,000 ft) the vast fireball reached down to the Earth, and swelled upward to nearly the height of the release plane. The blast pressure below the burst point was 300 PSI, six times the peak pressure experienced at Hiroshima. The flash of light was so bright that it was visible at a distance of 1,000 kilometers, despite cloudy skies......

Cheers

Most footage from the Tsar bomb shown on western documentaries and old propaganda movie is usually either from first thermonuclear test on November 22, 1955 at Kazakhstan’s Semipalatinsk Test Site or either Russia’s first aerial bomb drop on there Novaya Zemlya test site on 24 September, 1957.

The only footage from Tsar that exists is only from aerial view point as far as i'm aware.

Back