PS3 upscaling to 1080p ?

rainz

Veteran
Hi guys,

Just bought a Blu-Ray player. Wondering if while playing normal DVD's if the PS3 can do like my player with upscaling upto 1080p for a "better" image quality on the HDTV. Because if so i'm thinking to exchange it for a PS3 since it's roughly the same price.

Thanks already.

rainz

you bought an upscaling DVD player around $550CAD? i say, definitely exchange it for a PS3. yes, the PS3 can upscale (up to) 1080p if you have a native 1080p display, and its a very good upscaling DVD player. the only ones that may have the PS3 beat in upscaling quality is some Oppo upscaling players or the Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player.

Well i bought a BLU-RAY player than can play DVD & upscaling to 1080p. Since i have a HUGE collection of DVD's it was kind of important for me. But if you're saying that the PS3 can do the same thing .. There's no reason to keep the Blu-Ray player (same price as the PS3 at the store..)

rainz

PS3 is one of the best DVD players around, and it does a magnificent job of upscaling, so yeah, I'd swap it :)

Greetings up there in Quebec (my home province)! Some of the more 'snobby' types like to poo poo the PS3 as a movie player, but it's actually an excellent movie player, if not the best one available. Just be aware that you must have it connected via hdmi in order to be able to upscale regular dvd's. I'd definitely take the PS3 over a standalone blu-ray player. Other advantages to the PS3 as a movie player are that its simple to upgrade it's firmware via the internet, it has a bluetooth remote available which doesn't need line of sight to work, it's fast meaning that it starts up a movie quicker than the stand alones, plus you can download free movie trailers from the Playstation Store. Oh ya, and it also plays games as a side bonus.

The only case where I'd go with a standalone player instead is if you need to place the unit in a tightly enclosed area. The PS3 does get kinda hot, so putting it in a cabinet with the door closed is not a good idea.

As has alreaady been said the PS3 is a great upscalling DVD play. Firing squad have just done a feature comparing the PS3 and PC based upscallers.

Also it's probably one of the few (maybe the only) Blu-ray player which should be able to be upgraded to profile 1.1 and 2.0, to support the new features included with Blu-ray releases (i think) in November.

The only downside is the heat the system puts out which prevents you slotting it into a cabinet and forgetting about it (although I just leave the door open when I use mine).

As has alreaady been said the PS3 is a great upscalling DVD play. Firing squad have just done a feature comparing the PS3 and PC based upscallers.

Here´s a link:
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/autumn_2007_video_shootout/default.asp

and some of their conclusions:

When it comes to DVD upsampling, it’s hard not to be impressed by the PlayStation 3. We think that it provides a superior output to NVIDIA and AMD’s technology and it even holds its own against the flagship HQV technology from Silicon Optix and Teranex. But that’s just for DVD playback.

Once you make the plunge toward HD DVD or Blu-ray, additional challenges come into the mix. We still believe that the PlayStation 3 represents an excellent stand-alone Blu-ray player given that the majority of content that most people watch comes from 1080p24 Hollywood films – things that the PlayStation 3 does well with. With PS3 in the $500 price range, about the same price as an a high-end HD DVD player, the console suddenly looks like a great bargain for anyone who can take advantage of upsampled DVD, Blu-ray playback, and an entire gaming console with exclusives like Gran Turismo 5, Final Fantasy XIII, and Metal Gear Solid 4. It’s funny how history repeats itself -- the reason to buy PlayStation 2 was Gran Turismo 3, Final Fantasy X, and Metal Gear Solid 2…

... and DVD. At least, that's why I could justify getting a PS2 early to myself. ;) Yay for Gladiator DVD back then. Now it's yay for the combination of great games and BluRay as well. This time, it's Planet Earth that's providing the audio-visual wow factor that Gladiator had for DVD for me back then.

I agree planet earth is a Awesome bluray boxset... Part of the wow is that its recorded at a 16:9 aspect ratio unlike most blurays that are in a anamorphic aspect ratio (whats the point of high def when most of the resolution is just black borders) , I have tried to find out how to pan and scan or stretch from the ps3 for blurays but I cant do it :(

Why is it better to have your media player do the up-scaling when your TV can and (must?) do it?
In and of itself, it's not. However, both the cost and product cycle turnaround is lower for the players than for display devices, so for most consumers it's the cheapest way of adding picture processing power/improving quality.

Personally I feel the BT remote for PS3 is superior to any IR remote since it does not require line of sight.

I can even control movie playback from my loo using the PS3 remote. :cool:
Peace.

I have no preference. Some people simply need an integration strategy with their existing (very elaborate) IR remote setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
In and of itself, it's not. However, both the cost and product cycle turnaround is lower for the players than for display devices, so for most consumers it's the cheapest way of adding picture processing power/improving quality.

I am not following you.

I have a HD TV (Sony KDF E2000 46) that must scale any signal to 720p prior to being put on screen. I also have an up-scaling Toshiba DVD player. When I use the DVD player I can chose to send the output as 480i, 480p or 1080i. I find that 480p gives the best results.

I may be mistaken but I think it comes down to which device has the better scaler. In my case it is the TV. That being said, the difference is minimal. I assume that all HD TVs have a this requirement, to be able to except different resolutions and scale it to match there native display. Is that an incorrect assumption?

I have a HD TV (Sony KDF E2000 46) that must scale any signal to 720p prior to being put on screen. I also have an up-scaling Toshiba DVD player. When I use the DVD player I can chose to send the output as 480i, 480p or 1080i. I find that 480p gives the best results.

I may be mistaken but I think it comes down to which device has the better scaler. In my case it is the TV.
Well, yes. Exactly. It's not inheretly better to have the player do it, but in your case it will probably cost you less money and hassle to swap out your player than to swap out your TV for the same improvement in quality over what you have today. Most people keep their TVs around for much longer than they do their players.

Why is it better to have your media player do the up-scaling when your TV can and (must?) do it?

It just depends on the quality of the software and hardware involved in both devices. I'm willing to bet that the PS3 is better at it than most TVs, as it's more easily upgradeable and is likely to have more powerful and flexible hardware.

Cheers, Zahopd and Arwin.

That answers my questions. On that note, I must say that my Sony TV does an excellent job of up-scaling. SD TV even looks very good. Honestly, I would think that any improvement would amount to splitting hairs. Unless there is some type of pathological content which would demonstrate a noticeable difference.

Unless there is some type of pathological content which would demonstrate a noticeable difference.
Oh, lots. From badly authored content, known decoding bugs, cadence detection... Although, that's not to say that you'll ever notice said issues with the content you actually own and play. You could try a commercial test/benchmark/calibration DVD to have a look at such things as detail and motion artifacts (or a less comprehensive free one, English notes here), but in the end it's what looks best to you on the content you normally play that really matter.

Being 'blissfully unaware' of DVD artifacts can probably be better than knowing what to look for and start noticing flaws, and narrow test cases that might look atrocious on a test disc may very well never be encountered during normal usage.

Back