Senjo No Valkyria (Valkyrie of the Battlefield) : Best Cell shading ever?

I was hoping for a PS3 version.
Wonder if Sega is going to use the PS3 engine for any future projects.

Water colored Jet Set Radio sequel maybe????

Producer Shinji Motoyama discusses some of the changes and explains why Sega went portable again:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/15/valkyria_3_psp/

Famitsu interviewed Valkyra 3 producer Shinji Motoyama this week and asked the big questions about story and gameplay, but first about platform. Why did Sega decide to go with PSP for part 3? Motoyama cited a number of reasons. First off, they wanted to further develop the series on PSP beyond what they'd achieved in the first one.

Motoyama admits that there are likely many players out there who want a PS3 entry. However, he feels that a new PS3 entry would require new ideas beyond just a few gameplay updates -- so much so that you might not even be able to call it the same series. He and his team are always considering new ideas, but they've yet to come up with the revolutionary idea that they feel would warrant a PS3 sequel.

Motoyama did not rule out a PS3 entry, though, replying in the affirmative when Famitsu asked if the series could come to PS3 if he were to come up with the appropriate idea.

However, Motoyama feels that for the current story-focused series, the ability to play wherever you want is important. "In an era where everyone is busy, we felt PSP was best in order to make Valkyria Chronicles bigger."

Nope, no such thing.

It's a shame though, VC3 on the PS3 would've been amazing. Oh well, Japan gets what Japan wants (and since they love handhelds...).

Last edited by a moderator:
What I don't understand is the idea that a new PS3 version would require too many "innovations." I am happy with near-identical game mechanics (in fact it's why I'm interested in the first place). A new story, new fights to be fought, maybe some new weapons/tanks/vehicles... seems like a simple thing to me.

Exactly. It's probably a PR statement. I gave him a pass just because he created VC. T_T

Someone needs to make a PSP JIT compiler on PS3.

I'm disappointed by the decision.
I found the PS3 original to be a refreshing attempt at trying to fit a pseudo-realtime combat game with a higher-level turn-based strategy game.

It was an interesting first attempt, but there some glaring areas that could have easily stood for some improvement. I don't know how much of the actual game mechanics have been changed for the PSP sequel(s), and to be frank I'm not feeling compelled to buy a PSP for this.

I don't buy the idea that they can't think of enough new things to make a seriously revamped VC for the PS3.
Off the top of my head:

*shift most missions away from the easily one-shotted and rather silly capture the flag concept
*have more missions that make some of the less utilized classes more useful
*have to hold territory, escape, or eliminate enemy forces rather than instantly ending combat by capturing a flag or meeting some minor objective while surrounded by a whole army
*improve or forget the insipid implementation of minefields
*give tanks some kind of blitz capacity, better auto-fire
*have more interaction with environment and obstacles
*by virtue of the last three items, have a serious use for engineers
*better overwatch
*counter-overwatch, as in a trooper can't provide suppressing fire at full capacity if there is fire coming from opposing forces (meaning less of an obvious taking of turns in an otherwise real-time event)
*improved capacity for simultaneous movement, or team maneuvers (one of the weakest points of the original's scheme, with a polite one-by-one battle order)
*more terrain, more levels of said terrain
*building interiors, building combat, suppressing fire from buildings
*have the option to damage, or plow a tank through some of said buildings
*make those leader characters play a role in combined move actions as actual leaders, or even press stock characters into the role, with success/failure based on character traits (capacity to give orders, coordinating takes movement time, line of sight, hand signals, radio, suicidal to do so in the open, etc.)
*try putting a valkyria in the role of a squad leader at some point (with all these additional capabilities for field commands) and understand how devastatingly effective it is to have a field commander with the ability to command group movements, suppress all in line of sight, and assault like Selvaria was in the cut scenes.
Her capacity to suppress or coordinate movements was only compromised for brief periods by direct tank fire.

I don't know how much was changed for the mobile versions. I know there are more options for unit upgrades and skills.

Just following the money. Note also that Parasite Eve 3 is also coming to PSP. Now that's a game I'd love to see on HD consoles...

Having the component-out cable for my PSP helps a little. Bit of a bummer about the output resolution though: 480x272 embedded into a 480p frame means massive black bars all around.

Having the component-out cable for my PSP helps a little. Bit of a bummer about the output resolution though: 480x272 embedded into a 480p frame means massive black bars all around.

It's still going to look really rough on a big screen, well atleast compared to VC 1.

I know the sequel has just been released on PSP, but it doesn't seem to be doing very well. Maybe if it really bombs, we have a decent chance of seeing the series back on PS3!

Back