[PS3] Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time

Alpha

Believe me the elephant in the room is the resolution and aliasing which infests 100% of the image constantly unlike some glasses that dont appear to have reflections

They use fake reflection to make floors look shiny. The game has a cartoon look so it's ok.

What I wonder is how they can use all these transparent surfaces. Do they have some trick?

To me this game has really amazing graphics. So many details everywhere. Beautiful. I am sure they have good use of the Cell processor.

I can't believe some people here are saying Insomniacs engine is falling behind the competition! Can this really be true? I haven't see the whole game yet, but the tiny bit I saw in the demo looked good to me.

Uncharted level of graphics or not, I'm still buying anyway just to see how the story arc plays out.

I think Insomniac just has different priorities when it comes to graphics.

For R2 they went with doing things on a massive scale. Huge 8 player co-op levels where they sent in 50 enemies at you at once.

They have said R&C acit is going to have more open levels that allow for exploration, because the Sargasso level was so popular in ToD. The Ratchet level they have shown of the most so far is also like that.

Such open worlds probably require some trade-offs to be made compared to smaller scale and more linear games.

I can't believe some people here are saying Insomniacs engine is falling behind the competition!
because for most forums people , good engine = good graphics , nothing more nothing less.This is so far from truth.In reality , good graphics is 80% artists's talent and good engine is an iceberg.

The Beast Rider demo is very pretty in Gamestop. The Clank demo looks rather bland in comparison on my office monitor. May be I need to adjust my monitor settings too. Or perhaps they are different builds/designs. Will find out today or tomorrow when I have the game ! ^_^

Just picked this up.

Too many games! Tekken 6, Forza 3, and Ratchet & Clank all on the same day!

The game should NOT require the player to figure out that he or she has to adjust brightness/gamma settings in order to make it look good, they can obviously have the brightness adjustment option right at the beginning like many games do.

ACiT does this. Just thought I'd point that out so you don't use it to further your crusade.

Been playing the game for a few hours, I'm really enjoying it. The delivery for most characters is fantastic this time, and the direction for the cutscenes is really good.

Oh, and I finally figured out why I was dying so much in the clank sections in the Demo. I didn't know you could triple jump with him...yay!

ACiT does this. Just thought I'd point that out so you don't use it to further your crusade.

Been playing the game for a few hours, I'm really enjoying it. The delivery for most characters is fantastic this time, and the direction for the cutscenes is really good.

Oh, and I finally figured out why I was dying so much in the clank sections in the Demo. I didn't know you could triple jump with him...yay!

I have the game and I'm glad it does exactly what I think it should do. You don't have to be so defensive, it's not Resistance 2, I actually think this game is pretty darn good.
Indifferent2.gif

Nice review. I haven't received my copy yet (probably sometime next week, hopefully). I am a bit concerned about the two stories - ratchet and clanks different path - though. I loved ToD except for the rather tiresome Clank parts. Maybe they've improved the Clank aspect (the demo hints at this), but I'd still like it to be kept at a minimum and the meat to be exploring the huge open worlds in the galaxy as Ratchet and Clank, fighting epic battles, platforming and the whole entertainment that goes with it.

is it harder than "Tools of Destruction"? thats the only thing i didn't like about the first one, it was a cakewalk.

is it harder than "Tools of Destruction"? thats the only thing i didn't like about the first one, it was a cakewalk.
Well, by my metric, no. Though I'm not very far into the game, so who knows. Playing on hard and it doesn't seem very hard, the "Hardcore" difficulty may be different.

I think it's a tad harder, just a little bit (like Quest for Booty). James Stevenson mentioned that there are harder areas for people who are interested.

I played through the introductory Clank sequence last night. This is an extremely polished game with great production all around. I love these characters and the voice acting is great, as usual. I'm a little worried about the two characters being separated, since I like to be able to use Clank's jetpack. But overall, great looking game, can't wait to play more.

Not sure why people are complaining about the graphics.

In the past month I finished both of the prior R&C Future games, and now playing this one. I honestly can't tell the graphics apart in any of the games, which isn't a bad thing. It delivers a great style and looks fantastic for what it is.

Not sure why people are complaining about the graphics.
They're mostly complaining about the demo graphics. Some say it's software. I don't know about that. But it was also a pretty bland demo. If I believed the whole game would look as lacklustre as the demo, I wouldn't be interested.

I played through some of it.

I think it's a matter of level design. IMHO, the Clank level is not as good looking as the Beast Rider level.

The other point is I think Insomniac may have pulled back the camera a little. When I played ACiT on my monitor in the office, Clank looked tiny and hence, a little chunky. Even Ratchet looks smaller in some levels too.

I have gotten used to it now.

I want to find out whether they changed the tinkering sound effect for collecting bolt. It sounded more mute but it could be me.

Am I the only one who likes the Clank demo better then the Ratchet demo? I keep flying of cliffs with the hoover boots because the camera isn't where I want it. And I still need to get that Uncharted 2 style run and gunning out of my system before I can get used to Ratchets.

Back