Ars Technica rumor claims 399 40GB PS3 this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO it's a worse value now in light of the larger premium price cut and superior bundle.

Only depending on how you view the value of the bundled games. Many people would see the 5 arcade titles as more value than the 2 bundled full games.

Thanks. So the real number is most likely less than that. Anyone playing any sports game (Madden!), or any game where you have two players would possibly have multiple live accounts. Also, given the 30day free trial, I'm sure many bogus accounts have been made for that very purpose.

They made a statement the last time they published their fact stat attack that they're 'scrubbed' numbers, accounting for duplicate accounts and stuff. They do however include subscriptions for the original Xbox.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/771/771601p1.html

From a guy on another forum I go to:

NEW PS3 ON SALE NEXT WEEK
Sony have informed **** of the release into retail next week of a new PS3 sku:
Key changes : 40gb harddrive, removal of 2 USB ports (down from 4), card slots removed, and all backwards compatibility removed.
The price : $699 RRP

I still believe the reports of no BC are dubious, and probably the result of miscommunication. Even if the GS is removed I expect that Sony would have some kind of software emulation solution. Hell, I've seen reports on this rumor referring to a "PSP port" being added whatever the hell that means. I'm not sure the sources are all that sophisticated with regards to the technical aspects of the console.

I still believe the reports of no BC are dubious, and probably the result of miscommunication. Even if the GS is removed I expect that Sony would have some kind of software emulation solution. Hell, I've seen reports on this rumor referring to a "PSP port" being added whatever the hell that means. I'm not sure the sources are all that sophisticated with regards to the technical aspects of the console.

I hear what you're saying, but on the other hand, there's still a part of me that can't stop thinking about how much simpler/cheaper the PS3 would be to manufacture without having to worry about backwards compatibility.

I can't remember off the top of my head, but did Sony ever get full software emulation of PS and PS2 games up and running? I remember the 80 gig model was supposed to pull it off without any extra hardware...was that ever realized?

I can't remember off the top of my head, but did Sony ever get full software emulation of PS and PS2 games up and running? I remember the 80 gig model was supposed to pull it off without any extra hardware...was that ever realized?

They removed the EE and 32MB of RAM, leaving the GS. If they remove the GS they will save a few more bucks but either have no BC or need 100% software BC.

IMO it's a worse value now in light of the larger premium price cut and superior bundle.

No its not. For a lot of people the Premium will end up being the sku with the crappy value.

Because of the current sales ratio, there are for more premium owners who happen to be casual gamers who won't go beyond the basic functions of the 360, which is supplied by the Core plus a memory card versus Core consumers who go on to purchase additional peripherals to get the Premium experience at a premium price.

For the those casual gamers who own Premium sku, they basically spent $100 extra to have chrome trim and use of a wireless controller.

Its the same phenemon when people go to Sams or Costo and buy in bulk to get great cost saving only to use for less than what they paid for.

If all you going to do is use the basic function of the 360, the Core+memory card is a better value no matter if you can get a premium for $60 dollars more or $1 dollar more.

There is no intrinstic value in features you not going to utilize no matter how cheaply you pay for them.

Won't those people buying PS3 be buying it for SingStar online and Buzz online and whatnot though? Are they likely to buy PS3 for other titles and use their PS2 versions of these games? If so, what other titles?

I think that those people want to know that they can use their old songs on the new machine, so even if they buy Singstar PS3 they can still use (sing) their old software (songs). If those people would know straight up that they would have to replace their entire library they would be much more unwilling to 'upgrade' to the PS3.

I hear what you're saying, but on the other hand, there's still a part of me that can't stop thinking about how much simpler/cheaper the PS3 would be to manufacture
It would be no cheaper ;) Software emulation uses the hardware already in the machine, so it'll cost the same to make whether you add BC or not. Like a PC emulator. Running PS emulation on a PC doesn't increase it's price to make. The added cost will be to create the emulator software and perhaps evaluate titles, maybe doing an MS style download profiles. That'd be peanuts compared to hardware costs though. A couple of dozen software engineers a year who are already on the payroll and they'd be doing something else if not BC?

I think Kanyamagufa was saying it'd be cheaper to have a console with no hardware considerations for B/C vs one with. Now, he seemed to be coming from a place where perhaps he thought there was more in there at present than there actually is, but there's still some legacy stuff left. Personally I think they should leave the GS in there, either that or I commend them on their continuing emulation efforts?, but I do otherwise think for the present cost, it'd be sensible to keep B/C in there. Granted if Sony truly was pursuing cost cuts by any means possible, than it certainly can't be ruled out.

IMHO people like simplicity with consoles...that's the point, it's simple, no compatability issues, no only with with this or that version.

I think this is (one reason) why Sony stood by only having a BR drive and HDD as standard. I think releasing a model with no BC would be a big mistake...as it stands the only (real) difference is wifi and card slots all the current skus play all the games, play BR films and have the same BC...so there's no real gaming difference (as such).

If the BC H/W has been removed it can only be (IMO) because the s/w is now (or will be very soon) very good. Sony have kept things fairly simple...they don't need a spanner right now.

Just my 2p.

If the PCSX2 guys can create a plugin to render PS2 games on PC, then there's no reason why Sony shouldn't be able to and make it work almost perfectly.

There is no BC in the 40GB. I'll close this thread seeing as the other is now renamed to the official it's been announced thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back