Ars Technica rumor claims 399 40GB PS3 this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
2.7 billion Refund? in relation to PS3?

I´m talking about the losses on the PS3 itself, RSX,Cell,Bluray,SCC,GS and Ram. those things should be alot cheaper to make now than they were at the introduction.

my bad it's 2.8 billions
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=44661

I also speak of the loss on the ps3, ok it becomes cheaper to produce but the same is true for its competitors.
And selling at a loss @599$ a year ago and sell without loss now @399$ is impossible, Sony will lose a lot of money witch they expect to make up by raising their instal based and so raising theirs revenues from the software.

I'm too lazy to search for the exact figure but loss from launch to 2007 Q1 for ps3 only were impressive.

my bad it's 2.8 billions
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=44661

I also speak of the loss on the ps3, ok it becomes cheaper to produce but the same is true for its competitors.
And selling at a loss @599$ a year ago and sell without loss now @399$ is impossible, Sony will lose a lot of money witch they expect to make up by raising their instal based and so raising theirs revenues from the software.

I'm too lazy to search for the exact figure but loss from launch to 2007 Q1 for ps3 only were impressive.

If they sold 20 million PS3 with a loss of $140 then they would burn through 2.8 billion dollars. I just don´t think they loose that much money on each console sold.

But, were guessing :)

I can't remember the figures but the loss were amazing if you consider the ps3 launch only (incomes from ps2 helps but anyway).
And what about the 2.7 billions refound (also for the tv section i know)?

If MS reacts Sony will be stuck with he 399$ price quiet some time.

And if Sony can afford to cut 200$ in one year MS can afford to cut 100$ in two years if they feel it's needed.

I don't think it's too late, in fact it depends on Ms reaction if Ms follows this move the 360 will hit mainstream price while the ps3 will still be expensive.

Anyway Sony has to do it, it's not like they still have some choice with a third of the instal base of the 360 or the Wii and with not that much coming this fall in regard to Wii self sustained succes and 360 game line up.

This price-cut is made possible by the reduction in PS3 production costs. As stated elsewhere, Sony has more legroom than MS in this department. I think its premature in the extreme to say PS3 will 'stay at this price for a long time'. Also, given that MS just set aside $1bn for 360 repairs, I doubt that they want any kind of price-war.

Off topic and nit picking, but a billion in GB is 1,000,000,000,000 (a million million). In America on the other hand...

Cheers

Yeah I think over here we mostly use the American convention nowadays (1000,000,000).

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/10243/11267/sony-ps3-price-cut-official.phtml

4 October 2007 10:16 GMT - Sony will announce tomorrow that has bowed to consumer pressure by not only reducing the price of its 60GB console, but also creating a 40GB version priced at £299 to go up against the Xbox 360 Elite.

"We are currently under strict NDA, however that NDA runs out in the next 48 hours", a retail source told Pocket-lint.

As part of the deal the newly introduced value pack, which included an extra controller and games, will be phased out, Pocket-lint has been informed by multiple sources within the industry.

As previously rumoured, the new PS3 console will still feature the Blu-ray drive as standard, come with 40GB hard drive, Wi-Fi connectivity and a SIXAXIS controller, but it will lose two of its four USB slots and the memory card reader.

It will also lose the backwards compatibility chip, although this isn't likely to affect UK customers, as in Europe backwards compatibility is done via software.

The rumours of the new unit, which were broken by Pocket-lint last month, means that if you include the cost of buying the Wi-Fi adapter and HD DVD drive to the Xbox Elite, the move means the new PS3 will be £160 cheaper, although you will get a bigger hard drive with the Xbox.

"Sony is clearly hoping to make a comeback against the Nintendo Wii, which is currently outselling the PS3 four to one", an industry insider told us.

But wouldn't it be the best move to pass these cost reductions into every model as soon as the old stock is cleared out of the way and if they continue to manufacture the 80GB model, how can we know when the transition is/has happened. Certainly it's good for them to get rid of the old 90nm stock at a higher price, but it's even better to get the 65nm 80GB model to that higher pricepoint also.

Now I'm not saying that 65nm Cell is in the channel already, but that's because they built so many 90nm units.

This post goes into the reasoning a little more in depth as to why it makes sense on the 40GB SKU in advance of a shift on the more expensive SKUs. Think of it as a price-point enabler in this case.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1069159&postcount=19

Well, I think Pocket-Lint fails to understand that the Euro version does indeed have hardware associated with the B/C.

I expect stores to add further reductions on RRP in the run up to Christmas, especially with the almost guaranteed 360 pirce cut to counter this.

£279.99/£349.99 for 40GB and discounted Starter Pack at many brick and mortar stores. Even better online.

I expect stores to add further reductions on RRP in the run up to Christmas, especially with the almost guaranteed 360 pirce cut to counter this.

I'm not sure you'll see a 360 pricecut.

With the introduction of the new Arcade pack, MS now has a compelling sku at $280.

So this holiday it wil be a $280 'Arcade' 360 vs the $400 'Starter' PS3, and I think MS can probably live with that.

A 'Starter' PS3 still is still a Blu-ray player and has a 40GB HD, that's apples to tunips compared to a renamed core bundle.

I think Scooby's point is that MS feels given their game lineup, that the re-positioned Arcade will do a much better job of drawing in consumers than the previous core. I don't think it's being viewed as an anti-PS3 weapon, but rather as a decent boost to 360 in its own right.

A 'Starter' PS3 still is still a Blu-ray player and has a 40GB HD, that's apples to tunips compared to a renamed core bundle.

It's a better value sure, so is a $500 PS3 vs a $350 premium, and last I checked they were being outsold 2:1.

When are you going to realize these are GAMES systems, and people care about pricepoint and GAMES. Not how much value you can pack into a box.

With a very strong game library, and a $280 pricepoint which includes a 256mb memory card, and wireless controller, the 360 arcade is going to be a very attractive SKU to many people this holiday.

It's much more than a 'renamed core' it's now a viable entry point (read: no longer a rip off). So, in essence, MS has lowered their entry point to $280, not the $350 which the premium sells for.

It's a better value sure, so is a $500 PS3 vs a $350 premium, and last I checked they were being outsold 2:1.

When are you going to realize these are GAMES systems, and people care about pricepoint and GAMES. Not how much value you can pack into a box.

With a very strong game library, and a $280 pricepoint which includes a 256mb memory card, and wireless controller, the 360 arcade is going to be a very attractive SKU to many people this holiday.

I understand value, but a memory card and some juky arcade games won't sell it (no HD hurts it for sure), so the bottom line is the price? That same mentality holds on both sides. The PS3 was the "$600 console" six months ago, soon it will be $400 without being gimped (BC might be). MS sold a lot of $399 consoles, why can't Sony?

The $399 'Starter' PS3 is worth how much on the MS side $349 console + $79 Wi-fi + $179 HD-DVD, $607?

Todd, Scooby's not saying that the PS3 at $400 won't sell appreciable numbers; in fact for the past month I'd say he's been the biggest advocate of the move.

Todd, Scooby's not saying that the PS3 at $400 won't sell appreciable numbers; in fact for the past month I'd say he's been the biggest advocate of the move.

Fine, I just think a HD-less 360 is next to useless. I hope the consumer knows what they are getting and don't get duped and later spend another $100 on a HD.

Fine, I just think a HD-less 360 is next to useless. I hope the consumer knows what they are getting and don't get duped and later spend another $100 on a HD.

What's useless about it? It can still play the games. Basically the only thing it can't do is download the larger demos.

Ok, I'm guessing I'm out of subject but I wonder if the ''new'' 80 GB model has a PS2 chip inside (NTSC version EE+GS, PAL version GS only or both are completely removed) ??

I don't want to have an answer making too much overflowing on the topic. If that slips, a moderator can create a thread from the one which I created.
Thank you ;) .

Ok, I'm guessing I'm out of subject but I wonder if the ''new'' 80 GB model has a PS2 chip inside (NTSC version EE+GS, PAL version GS only or both are completely removed) ??

I don't want to have an answer making too much overflowing on the topic. If that slips, a moderator can create a thread from the one which I created.
Thank you ;) .

The 80GB PS3 excludes the EE; it's B/C configuration is identical to the Euro console. No console to date lacks hardware consideration - if the rumor actually comes to pass with the 40GB revision, it would be the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back