Ars Technica rumor claims 399 40GB PS3 this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Users who work for retail at NeoGAF seem to confirm 40GB for PAL (take with a pinch of salt), one guy is even claiming he is reading the press release sent to retailers.

Then there is the claim from the SonyStyle Australia employee.

I don't know. I doubt they'd manufacture multiple (>2) SKU's. So even if there is autonomy between the divisions, SCEE should still be able to cut the price because the exchange rate shows that they should be the most profitable region regardless since the highest costs in the business are denominated in Yen.

Well, i don't see an italian retailer selling something that is not available in Europe... But who knows?

Panajev B3D'er at NeoGAF:

Panajev2001a said:
Official: another direct confirmation from a store here in Italy (the one I trust the most).

PS3 40 GB at 399 Euros.

PS3 Starter Pack at 499 Euros.

The FCC report shows the new SKU is manfactured by ASUS subsidiary Maintek Computer (Suzhou, China)

The report regarding Sony and Hon Hai Precision Industry's contract to produce PS3's would mean manufacture at Shenzhen Foxconn (China). Sony are just using multiple sources for their screwdriver plants.

£280 direct conversion. That'd sell truckloads! But I expect them to round it to £300, even though VAT is lower here than many Euro-nations.

To achieve the same reduction (599-499, 17%) on the starter pack for the UK it would mean £425 -> £350 (£355).

Direct conversion for UK standalalone should be 279.99. However a GAME employee at NeoGAF is claiming the UK starter pack will now be £399.99 and PS3 40GB £299.99. That doesn't sound quite as nice for the starter pack in the UK. At many places you can buy the same thing plus a Blu-Ray title and a HDMI cable for £400.

At many places you can buy the same thing plus a Blu-Ray title and a HDMI cable for £400.
The starter pack smells like a ripoff. £280 entry, excluding a £30 game, would do very well I think, especilaly if stores run there own bundles. Instead I expect £300 sans goodies, so the actually price to get home will be 300+game (30) + HDMI cable? (20??), so nearer £350. Which is a bit smelly really.

The starter pack smells like a ripoff. £280 entry, excluding a £30 game, would do very well I think, especilaly if stores run there own bundles. Instead I expect £300 sans goodies, so the actually price to get home will be 300+game (30) + HDMI cable? (20??), so nearer £350. Which is a bit smelly really.

The starter pack is designed to rip-you off if you don't like the games.

They'd prefer you buy it. It offset's the losses (new losses!) on the system by funneling returns back to Sony directly through the bundling of Sony published software. I'd bet retail takes a smaller cut on the starter pack than a standalone + game.

I agree with you, Sony is harsh with the UK, £299 is nailed on in my opinion. £279.99/£349.99 starter pack wouldn't be a bad deal at all but I fear that's not the case.

Well if they'll sell if for 399€ here in Finland I'll buy it immediately. Now 399€ for "core" and 499€ for starter pack is making it hard for me to choose which one I'd buy. Most likely I'd go for standalone unit, as Motorstorm is worth nothing to me and I can borrow Resistance from a friend. One controller, 20GB of disc space and a card reader is not worth 100€ to me.

Some of the rental stores already have Blu-ray movies on their shelves, so this would be pretty nice time to get it.

Alright!!! If PS3 is coming out at 399 this holiday...I might have to pick one up for R&C. Man that game looks fun!

just buy a 40gb ps3 with heavenly sword and ratchet und clank das tool of das destroction. :D

Starter Pack

That is a great price. Lower the hardware price the more sony loses so they prefer if everyone bought more expensive versions, no?

You know what's kind of crazy?

I just thought about, this GAF poster posted, maybe in mid or late July I think, supposedly with "inside knowledge", about the 360 price drops to 279/349/449.

Now at that time, some drop was expected, but we generally didn't know the extent per sku (people thought it would be an even 50 on all sku's, for example). The guy nailed that, which imo gave him credibility.

But the guy posted that, "about a month after Halo 3", and I believe coinciding with Falcon, there would be a second 360 drop, to 249/299/399. Of course, as of now, that info remains firmly speculation, right?

But look, Sony is about to spring the 399 sku in..mid to late Oct..

And guess what, it's very possible MS will drop to counteract that sku in..late October, a month after Halo 3, just as our "insider" predicted, without ever mentioning PS3.

And, MS sources blogged about a 399 PS3 months ago..

In essence it's like these moves could have been known about MONTHS ago..MS might have known about the 399 PS3 many months ago, and the (alleged, hardly confirmed) late October 360 price cut in the works for a long time.. where we think these things are spur of the moment or reactionary..

40 GB PS3 showed up on dse.com.au earlier today, it's gone already :(

No backwards compatibility in the list of features (whereas that IS featured for the PS3 listing).

AU$699 which is a rip imo, the 360 was USD$399 / AUD$649, and it had a worse dollar to contend with.

That is a great price. Lower the hardware price the more sony loses so they prefer if everyone bought more expensive versions, no?
Yes, but also you want a large install base to generate more revenue. I think that extra £20 off would provide a good contrast to the round £300 and make the PS3 look quite a bit cheaper, without being desperately cheaper. The extra loss would be made up in one game or controller sale, or a few downloads, and the sale now would lead to lots more content sales over the life. If they stick to £300, I think those who have that as a maximum price will bite, but £280 might attract a notable few who are umming and erring about £300 but who's response to £280 is 'hey, that's not bad'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back