Explain to me: Why should I buy Halo 3?

Dave Baumann

Gamerscore Wh...
Legend
OK, I'd like to hear some opinions with regards to the thread title. Genuinely I'm sitting on the fence with regards to getting this, given that I have no insight into it previously but just contemplating it to see what all the fuss is about.

For a little background: I am a complete Halo n00b. I've not played Halo 1 or 2 on any platform. Generally I play FPS for the single player element rather the multiplayer. Multiplayer I often steer a little clear of multiplayer FPS as I find people usually already know all the maps by the time I get there and my accuracy is shockingly poor.

How involved has the single player elements of the previous two been? Did Halo 2's multiplayer even the playing field for the unitiated as well as the FPS/Halo junkies? How will this translate into Halo 3 do we think?

I really enjoyed Halo 1, but Halo 2 was sort of "Matrix Reloaded'. It just didn't seem to have the same feeling of direction or involvement. I just didn't get into it nearly as much as the original game.

I too don't bother with MP in most FPS games and never did with the Halo games. I also never beat the SP of Halo 2, but beat Halo 1 3 times. I will consider getting Halo 3 once I've read a bit about it after it has been released.

The original Halo was like a sci-fi movie/book to me. And since I'm a sci-fi junkie, it was quite enjoyable. The game world was also fresh at that time.

The first Halo made you feel like you were in a great scifi movie. Most people say Aliens but I think a cross between Starship Troopers and The Black Hole, and some of the comrade of Star Wars, only more epic. It was a unique experience. The way the music swells and plot shifts. The loading into drops to reinforce another fight miles away. The way audio communications are used to make it feel like a real war is happening around you. It was definitely a great evolution on the way half-life1 used story to advance fps's only done on a planetary war scale.

It's a very macho experience because you are the badass. Enemies and friends tremble at your presence. It was also very well crafted in that all the artistic elements gel to make a greater whole.

I havent seen anything in Halo3 to make me think it will be as evolutionary, but then again when halo1 came out I didn't see what the big deal was until i purchased it and played through it in coop.

day 1 purchase for me, and im calling off work to boot. why not,

I never played Halo2 and I haven't been following Halo3.

Personally, I've never been a huge fan of Halo1. Not that I think it's a bad game, but it didn't tickle my fancy much. That said, it's definitely worth a look. Can the millions of people that swear by it be wrong? Probably not. A lot of people said it had fantastic AI, but I don't remember it. Maybe I was grenadeing and mowing down the enemy too quickly? I'm almost tempted to revisit the game myself. For its time, fantastic graphics, good quick pace. Controls are really well organized, even though I dislike dual analog for fps. Can't remember the story, but some people seem to be into it. Really, the hype is reason enough to check it out, and chances are you're going to be rewarded, because people have had a blast with the last two.

Edit: Oh yeah, as Pozer said, the game had co-op which was a huge plus for me. Really makes the game a lot more fun, if that's your thing.

OK, I'd like to hear some opinions with regards to the thread title. Genuinely I'm sitting on the fence with regards to getting this, given that I have no insight into it previously but just contemplating it to see what all the fuss is about.

For a little background: I am a complete Halo n00b. I've not played Halo 1 or 2 on any platform. Generally I play FPS for the single player element rather the multiplayer. Multiplayer I often steer a little clear of multiplayer FPS as I find people usually already know all the maps by the time I get there and my accuracy is shockingly poor.

How involved has the single player elements of the previous two been? Did Halo 2's multiplayer even the playing field for the unitiated as well as the FPS/Halo junkies? How will this translate into Halo 3 do we think?

If you play FPSs for their single player modes, and if you like Sci-Fi stories, then you should be happy with Halo.

If you want to try Halo online and you've never played it before, you don't have to worry about getting destroyed by the halo masters out there. Rookies are typically matched with rookies, mediocre players are typically matched with mediocre players, and halo veterans are typically matched with halo veterans. If you want to learn the maps before going online, you can also explore the maps by yourself. I do this for every new map.

That said, there are those that love halo and there are those that hate halo, odds are that you'll love it, but it's up to you to find out!

Why not just dig up a copy of Halo and play through that? I'm sure the new one will be roughly the same in terms of style and gameplay. If you like Halo, you'll most likely be into Halo3.

You should try it out though. That magic TruSkill matchmaking stuff Live does works pretty good.

While playing the beta I noticed the matches are getting a lot better (read: I didn't get killed every second) after a couple a games, just like advertised really.

The system needs some data to start, but from my 5th game on I got a bunch of guys who sucked as hard as I do. Happy joy. :)

Yeah, the better players rank up while the noobs get left to battle amongst themeselves, so no worries about skill level. Also, the party system makes it easy to keep playing with whoever you have a good game with.

Umm, you're a gamerscore whore with 25,000+ points, and you're thinking of skipping the biggest Xbox360 title of all time? Just like no big deal?

In a time of year where nothing else much is coming out?

Just buy it.

I'm prolly taking off work too. It's a tradition. That's how big this game is. I remember standing in line for Halo 2 and the guy in front of me saying "I've been waiting years for this". I'll probably see that guy again in line for Halo 3 LOL.

I also agree with everybody about Halo 2 not being as good as Halo 1.

Here are some of the revolutionary (from a console perspective) things about Halo 1:

IMO, it was the first highly playable FPS on a console. Every previous console FPS I had tried on the Dreamcast ( such as Quake 3), fighting the controls was paramount. Halo, made the controls no longer an issue, now you could focus on the game. Remember, at that time FPS were not the dominant console genre like they are now, they were few and far between.

It had the best console graphics to date at that time. The sweeping scale of things was unprecedented. The early second level where the covenant dropships swooped in, was pretty mindblowing from a pure "wow" graphics perspective. As well as other things such as that blue laser firing into the sky..it truly had a great sense of identity and style. Unfortunately, Halo 3 will be lacking the "best graphics" aspects of it's predecessors.. however it should be pretty enough, and maintain that great clean Halo look.

The squadmates, it's odd to talk about now because sqaudmates are so common, but back at that time nothing was like it on console, possibly anywhere. Having an extremely active, communicative squad fighting alongside you was revolutionary. I remember raving about it on message boards..

Oh an a little thing..I loved how those little chicken aliens, cant even remember what they're called, were always jabbering and retreating and talking shit at you..but in a way that you could never exactly tell what they were saying but you're sure you heard them say something plain as day..again it was technically amazing at the time, but also just fun. I used to laugh because they were such little chickenshits..but then they'd stab you in the back quick..contrast say with the Elites which were no-nonsense badasses and you did not mess around with..the enemies had real personalities in that way.

The "only two weapons at a time" system was also revolutionary at the time for FPS and added a ton of strategy.

The set piece battles were great. I still can tell stories..I remember I must have fought this one battle 20 times..it was like a half hour battle on an open plain in the snow..a lot of tough enemies, enemy vehicles etc..finally after many tries I had it beat, or so I thought..but there was a cloaked Elite I forgot about...standing what I thought victorious all the sudden I realized that Elite was still there, he made a noise or something, and I just started running for safety..it was too late, he cut me down like nothing. I remember running running running across that open field hoping I could make it to safety so I didn't have to fight that whole battle for the 34 time..such a great moment.. Oh another thing that really made an impression on me was guilty spark. Trudging through those cold corriders for so long with him spouting insanities..just great stuff, like from a sci-fi flick. I remember I used to think about that game when I wasn't playing it, for a period of days..

Anyways, if you like or even can tolerate FPS, GET THIS GAME.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave, I recently picked up Halo and Halo2 and did a play through. It was my 2nd experience into the Halo world (H3 beta being my first). You can see my reviews in that thread.

As for Halo3, it seems to have more bells and whistles than imaginable. The most important thing I'm looking forward to however is 4 player co-op. That's going to kick a lot of ass.

dont worry about online competition much even if you come in late.
halo 2 got the online MP ranking, setup, tracking and play optimized. Its one of the reasons halo is so accessble, it matches you with semi equal odds. so that you wont be left in the dust all the time. MP is usually the first thing i go into in a game.

For me the only reason to buy it, is because it's Halo 3. I've played Halo and Halo 2 to death and I really like the story.

It's also the only reason I'm hanging on to my Xbox, once I've played the story to completion I'm getting rid.

As far as FPS go there are much better options appearing in the near future.

I'll say this: when I played Halo, and subsequently left and picked up an Xbox and a copy of the game, I spent days before I even got my first taste of the competitive mode. Which isn't to say that I didn't kill my friend a lot, but it just happened to be at the same time as wraith mortars and hunter fuel rods and sword-wielding elites and rocket-toting flood were doing their best to mow us down...

(Accidents happen... and all debts must be re-payed!)

Also, pipo: although I initially despised the wind-waker look, by the time the game came out and I played through it, I loved it. I wish they'd be willing to do another big console (i.e., not gameboy/DS) game in the same style, but I think they shot that down.

Why don't you just buy the first two games?

Sometimes these posts just don't make sense.. :???:

PS: if you have to post on a forum expecting people to convince you whether or not the most hotly anticipated Xbox360 game ever is a worthwhile purchase then maybe it ISN'T for you..

Buy the first game. If you love it, buy the third. I personally wasn't that enthralled by the story, but I played it well into last generation after cinematic cutscenes and professionally scored music were commonplace. What Halo really had going for it IMO was keeping the action going and a fantastic co-op mode that I haven't seen replicated almost anywhere else. The single player campaign varied between great and mediocre.

I played the first on the PC and dabble a little with friends on the Xbox. I actually have been put off by Halo 3 until recently. The Beta was a joke imo -- 6 year old gameplay dynamics with little evolution and refinement and ouch! My eyes are cut and bleeding! (it is my opinion Bungie fans, so calm down!)

Recent Halo 3 news has got me more excited though. 4 Player coop -- something that I wrote was a *must* for the game is in and should be a blast for those looking for an "us versus the world" experience and want to take on Legendary or Heroic. Forge is like a Halo sandbox to create your own game modifications. And while MP may not be your cup of tea (or is that tea bag in the Halo community?), the truskill stuff works ok and the options for game variants is really impressive.

The one person I know who played Halo 3 SP enjoyed the first two levels so much he stopped playing so he could play a finalized/bug free version come September. He said the AI was really good.

If you are looking for good AI in an FPS, a solid story/universe, refined gameplay, 4 player coop, and some MP where you can play with your friends (everyone is going to be playing this) and play with people who are just as bad errrr thumbatically challenged, then why not? And from there you can give us your guru 3D breakdown of Bungie's technology :p

I keep contemplating picking up a 360 for Halo 3 at launch just so I can have something to add to the discussion come September 25th because come the 25th no one is gonna care what I have to say! Halo this, Halo that... but no 65nm, no XFPS, and $350 (plus Halo, plus Live... not to mention other games I actually really want) sheeesh no way my wallet can take that! haha

So you need to play Halo 3 for the both of us Dave. I will be there in spirit :p

Back