No no no. Re-review Lair AFTER reading the new manual

Let me get this straight, you doubt that 80% of the reviewers out there, actually played lair?
yeah, as in actually played it properly maybe put some effort into the 6axis. and not rushing onto his next game review in a couple of hours. but the point is, i could care less about wat the reviewers would say as long as I, MYSELF enjoy the game. and I, am not the minority amongst other lair owners.

The head of the game is claiming that he can do a move 8/10 times and that is perfectly acceptable. Anything after that is just noise.

Well this is getting ridiculous. Not every move in a game is designed to be pulled off 100% of the time. I'm pretty sure the creator of Virtua Fighter can't pull off Akira's Knee anywhere near 80% of the time, hell I can pull it out maybe 10% of the time IN TRAINING, never in game, yet I don't think the controls are broken.

And the fact that console games now get regular updates\downloadable content, doesn't that make fixed reviews a little bit obsolete? It seesm to me that most people get fixated on either a win or lose scenario and now that the games(sic) more fluid they aren't able to respond in way that's suitable. With the latest firmware update on the PS3 Lairs controls are now far more responsive. Doesn't make it a different game, but does make a large part of the review obsolete.

The issue of a rereview is actually very interesting. Gamespot policy for example is never to rereview a game after it's been patched. The review the retail copy and that's it. Their resoning is that developers need to be accountable for the product that's on the shelves. Plus it would be imposible to keep up with the patches of every game out there. I have to say I agree with this 100%. It's the only way to stop developers from shipping unfinished crap and patching it later. However this particular case it's a little different. IF the firmware update results in more responsive controls (and I don't know if that's true) then ir posses an interesting problem. F5 obviously developed the game with the new firmware in mind and as far as I know it was out at or very near the release of the game. So as a consumer I don't really care if the controls of the review build are less responsive, what I need is information to make a purchase of the retail product that's available to me. Plus it seems unfair that the developer should be punish for stuff that's essentially out of their control like firmware updates. This is interesting because it's something that couldn't happen last gen and I think in this case they should update their reviews IF the controls are better (note I'm not saying this should give the game good reviews if it still sucks, but it should be noted, and if the game is no longer broken as some reviews suggest, I as a consumer want to know.)

The issue of a rereview is actually very interesting. Gamespot policy for example is never to rereview a game after it's been patched. The review the retail copy and that's it. Their resoning is that developers need to be accountable for the product that's on the shelves. Plus it would be imposible to keep up with the patches of every game out there. I have to say I agree with this 100%. It's the only way to stop developers from shipping unfinished crap and patching it later. However this particular case it's a little different. IF the firmware update results in more responsive controls (and I don't know if that's true) then ir posses an interesting problem. F5 obviously developed the game with the new firmware in mind and as far as I know it was out at or very near the release of the game. So as a consumer I don't really care if the controls of the review build are less responsive, what I need is information to make a purchase of the retail product that's available to me. Plus it seems unfair that the developer should be punish for stuff that's essentially out of their control like firmware updates. This is interesting because it's something that couldn't happen last gen and I think in this case they should update their reviews IF the controls are better (note I'm not saying this should give the game good reviews if it still sucks, but it should be noted, and if the game is no longer broken as some reviews suggest, I as a consumer want to know.)

That's totally on the developers/publishers. Once they've released a game to the media for review they have to take what they get, the media doesn't have the time and resources to re-review every game twice and once you've done it once you've opened a door which you can't really close again. If you want to find out how a game is running post patch x, you're going to have to look through forums for user experiences.

Conversely, reviewers could also just refuse to review anything but a retail copy. But there are obviously some conflicts of interest there, especially when it comes to print magazines.

Conversely, reviewers could also just refuse to review anything but a retail copy. But there are obviously some conflicts of interest there, especially when it comes to print magazines.

Even with online magazines there's pressure to have the reviews before a big title hits the shelves. Having your review out 2 or 3 days after the game ships could easily cut the number of hits you generate by an order of magnitude. People are looking to read reviews before they've purchased and a lot of titles will generate 50% or more of their sales in the first week.

In addition to what others have said, what about those who are unable to easily obtain these patches, or are unaware even of their existence? IMO firmware updates are bad enough if they improve the gameplay like in this case, let alone patches. If Sony or MS or Nintendo release a game in a certain state to the market, that is the state it should be reviewed in. That way it removes any possibility that the reader has an inferior version of the game to the reviewer.

The answer to the slamming reviews - and to the users finding it "easy" is very simple. The game does a very bad job at telling you what movements to make, that is, the exact movement, and the timing.

If you know that, it's very easy to do - and the games failing is not letting you know - it's trial and error, and until you work it the subtlety of it, you will be frustrated. So it's hit or miss. Simple as that. Shame, because the controls CAN work it seems.

You never ever issue a reviewer manual / guideline.
Well, to be fair, many games (or any other product) out there come with a reviewer manual. These manuals are usualy some notes printed on basic white sheets of paper, containing important/noteworthy points about the product.

Of course these tend to come with the product itself, not a few weeks later once the product was negatively reviewed... It's also interesting to see that they decided to print the manual on quality paper and that it contains so many pages (these manuals are usually just a few pages with bulleted points on them).

In addition to what others have said, what about those who are unable to easily obtain these patches, or are unaware even of their existence? IMO firmware updates are bad enough if they improve the gameplay like in this case, let alone patches. If Sony or MS or Nintendo release a game in a certain state to the market, that is the state it should be reviewed in. That way it removes any possibility that the reader has an inferior version of the game to the reviewer.

Depends - modern consoles (and handhelds) often come with the minimum required firmware on the disc. We had this discussion very early in the generation already, with Ridge Racer 7 for PS3 requiring a firmware update, for instance, on day one.

It's another reason why when I was a reviewer I sometimes felt you should never review a game before you can review a retail version - a great manual can make a big difference, and add a lot of value to a game. No, I'm not generally a big manual reader, but I used to love them when I was much younger, and when I was really keen on a game, I'd read the manual of a game back-to-front on the train or whenever else I was in a position where I couldn't play the darn game. ;)

Depends - modern consoles (and handhelds) often come with the minimum required firmware on the disc. We had this discussion very early in the generation already, with Ridge Racer 7 for PS3 requiring a firmware update, for instance, on day one.

It's another reason why when I was a reviewer I sometimes felt you should never review a game before you can review a retail version - a great manual can make a big difference, and add a lot of value to a game. No, I'm not generally a big manual reader, but I used to love them when I was much younger, and when I was really keen on a game, I'd read the manual of a game back-to-front on the train or whenever else I was in a position where I couldn't play the darn game. ;)

I do that now :p Won't put the game in before I have. I mean I struggle with controls of most games before I start - Warhawk, Resistance. I have to read manuals back to front. And then I pwn! Lair no different for me.

I don't get it...
Why is it bad that F5 send a fact sheet explaining the controls?
I realize that it should have been done prior to the game been reviewed and all, but what is so bad with them doing it now...
Of course I can be completely off topic and missing something very obvious...

Anyway, I am thinking, I'll buy this game when it reaches the 20-30 euros price tag... I'd love to try it, but wouldn't pay full price just to justify my curiosity over a possibly broken control scheme.

I don't get it...
Why is it bad that F5 send a fact sheet explaining the controls?
I realize that it should have been done prior to the game been reviewed and all, but what is so bad with them doing it now...
Of course I can be completely off topic and missing something very obvious...

Anyway, I am thinking, I'll buy this game when it reaches the 20-30 euros price tag... I'd love to try it, but wouldn't pay full price just to justify my curiosity over a possibly broken control scheme.

Nothing's bad, it just comes off as a last ditch effort which is far too little too late.

What is a little annoying, is members arguing that sites should re-review the game based on this guide.

I mean, come on! The game is just not very good, even if the controls were not a big problem for *most* people, all the reviews indicate it would still be a sub-par game.

Even our resident members who claim to have no real control problems, never seem to rate the game higher tha 7.5-8, so at the end of the day LAIR was a dissapointment on many levels, and the collective fanbase just needs to realize it, move on, and quit throwing your credibility out the window by attacking reviewers, screaming bias, asking for re-reviews or any of the other nonsense we've seen over this game...

As I have completed this game I feel the controls are working just fine, except for gestures which I can't pull off 100% of the time, but the actual flight works fine. Learning to control with motion instead of analog stick is like learning to play FPS-games on consoles when used ti keyb+mouse on PC I think, hard and sometimes frustrating at first but once you get a hang of it no problem.

As said before, this game falls on other flaws, framerate and some other bad gameplay-mechanincs.

I do question some reviews that slams the motions controls, like Gamespy.
gamespy said:
"the motion-sensing controls of Lair are incapable of registering tilt on more than one axis. That means that whenever you want to turn, you can forget about ascending or descending"

http://ps3.gamespy.com/playstation-3/lair/817994p1.html
I don't remember being unable to take a turn whle ascending.

And IGN.
IGN said:
You can't corner or move with any precision in Lair. I missed the toro and thought that I could just turn around and go back to the beast, but my turn was so wide that by the time I was facing the right way, I was already over my foe. The only strategy was to go waaaaaaay out over the water, turn around and slowly come back to the bad guy so that the computer knew exactly who I wanted to take down. Even then, it wasn't unheard of to pick up a trooper by mistake. True, you can jerk the controller to pull off a 180-degree turn, but like all of the Sixaxis controls, I found it horribly unresponsive. Eventually, I just gave up on it -- even though the game refused to let me and had me doing 180s and speed bursts (another wrist-flick move) against my will.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/817/817117p2.html
The bolded part has been stealth-edited in afterwards I believe as I don't remember that part when reading the review when it was released. Other than that you can use L2 och R2 to pull a wing in and make the turn narrower, like airbrakes in Wipeout... or use the 180 which work far more often than IGN and Gamespy claims. To me it seems his SIXAXIS where broken or he did'nt bother to learn how to control it properly.

The problem with re-reviewing after a patch, is that not everyone has their console online.

I think that should be the least of everyone's worries.

A patch is a patch. It is made to make IMPROVEMENTS to problems that were overlooked or to add features. (although patches nowdays induce problems too) It is "highly recommended" to be installed and I believe that the majority of the user base has it installed too.

Else, reviewers should review the games on a version 1.0 of the game consoles, which I think is impossible.
All games would recieve a 0/10, as none of the games are playable.

Especially if you are a magazine reviewer. ALWAYS you should write the review with the patch in mind nowdays.

ALWAYS you should write the review with the patch in mind nowdays.

For console games? I thought one of the advantages of console gaming is that you don't have to deal with all that "fix it with a patch" crap that PC gamers have to deal with.

Especially if you are a magazine reviewer. ALWAYS you should write the review with the patch in mind nowdays.

why? a patch is not guaranteed to come.

If they ship you a review code copy of the game, thats what should be reviewed, if its not up to par or it gets fixed later is the developers problem to inform the public.

Back