PS3 Demos

Iron Man demo went up Thursday (4/24). It seemed to start out pretty good, until you take control and actually start playing that is. It's not horrible, IMO, but its far from what I would consider polished and refined. Not very fun, either. Some rather clunky moments when it comes to collision detection with the environment, as well as the associated animations. Controls are OK, but takes some getting used to (particularly hovering w/ R2). Feels rushed, overall.

Extremely disappointed by the mission selection screen, by the way. Especially after seeing the subtle smoothness, flow, and look of the main menu. Looks incredibly lame, and outdated (by about 10 years).

In retrospect, I shouldn't have downloaded the demo as now my interest in the movie has decreased. Should have known better. Oh well...

EDIT

I know kids and families seem to like these type of games (movie licensed games) for various reasons. Comparatively speaking, its far from the worst movie based game. I suspect those who found Transformers enjoyable will enjoy this as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't checked out Iron Man yet. I think I may heed your advice.

Which brings us to Echochrome. Not my kind of game at all, but wife thought it was clever once you get a full understanding of the 'laws' of echochrome. Seems like a good puzzle game if thats what your into.

One question, the PS3 demo was 34mb but the PSP version was 43mb. Why would the PSP version be bigger?

I tried Echochrome. The control is a little constipated, but fast mode is a little too quick. Takes getting used to.

I thought it was quite clever too (The puzzles can be deep). I will probably play a few more times before deciding whether it's a worthwhile buy. Sony is doing their "Avalanche of Games" again these two months. :rolleyes:

The Japanese players have created and shared Echochrome levels. No idea how well they play: http://www.ps3fanboy.com/photos/echochrome-user-levels/771777/full/

I tried Echochrome. The control is a little constipated, but fast mode is a little too quick. Takes getting used to.

I thought it was quite clever too (The puzzles can be deep). I will probably play a few more times before deciding whether it's a worthwhile buy. Sony is doing their "Avalanche of Games" again these two months. :rolleyes:

The Japanese players have created and shared Echochrome levels. No idea how well they play: http://www.ps3fanboy.com/photos/echochrome-user-levels/771777/full/

The levels get much deeper. It's quite fun to find ways to complete the levels that you didn't think were possible originally.

Created my US account and wowza - they even get a better store than us! :(
But Echochrome bored me. It's too minimalist, with the rewards for your puzzle solving efforts not enough for me to care to think about them, not that you need much thinking with the demo levels, of course.

But Echochrome bored me. It's too minimalist, with the rewards for your puzzle solving efforts not enough for me to care to think about them, not that you need much thinking with the demo levels, of course.

It's a puzzle gamers dream...it's better than Portal for me :)

Ha ha ! Told you so. But you guys have SingStore ! US only gets it on May 20th.
It better has good song selection by then.

It's a game for puzzle fans. :)
I am not one but I think I can "get it".

They should have included one difficult puzzle in the demo. I believe people will like the game better if they have one unsolved puzzle lingering in their mind (Where they are almost there but not quite). If everything is easy, it loses the meaning of a 'puzzle'. Some compulsive people may pony up if the full game has a cheat sheet (if you choose to give up).

For the demoes, I might go back because I want to know what's the fastest way to solve the last one.

Haven't checked out Iron Man yet. I think I may heed your advice.

Which brings us to Echochrome. Not my kind of game at all, but wife thought it was clever once you get a full understanding of the 'laws' of echochrome. Seems like a good puzzle game if thats what your into.

One question, the PS3 demo was 34mb but the PSP version was 43mb. Why would the PSP version be bigger?

same content. tutorial plus three puzzles.

You guys should try the Siren demo off the Japanese store. If you like action horror, this one looks like it could have some potential. Dialogue is in English although the tutorial and instructions are not. Still, after I figured out what to do, I found my self wanting to play more.

You guys should try the Siren demo off the Japanese store. If you like action horror, this one looks like it could have some potential. Dialogue is in English although the tutorial and instructions are not. Still, after I figured out what to do, I found my self wanting to play more.

Absolutely, I've played through the demo a bunch of times now. I wish it was longer.

Care to elaborate ? What is it ?

The only announced Japanese releases I want are:
* Battlefield of Valkyria (Coming Stateside end of 2008 ?)
* Mainichi Issyo (No plans ?)

trying dark sector now. game looks good.

i'm stuck on one spot though. i'm at the part where you walk up the stairs and theres a turret behind sand bags. to the right, theres a double gate that i can't get past, and to the left, theres a fence with two open gates. theres also a truck and a tent in this area.

bad description, i know.. but its hard to explain.

edit: nm, figured it out.

Bought Echochrome. Game is intriguing and harder than I thought, but manageable. They should provide more color options (white on black) to minimize glare on large screens. I am surprised they overlook this (usability, usability, usability).

Control is very subtle. At first my grip was too tight and it was very difficult to align the blocks. Then I realized that my SIXAXIS was wonky (The right stick was off centered, causing a natural clockwise spin/NW lean if I left it alone). Once I corrected this, I do not have to grip-lock my sticks to maintain a position anymore. I tell ya, it was frustrating. I was able to keep the maze position stable and aligned without touching the sticks now -- at least for my last puzzle. So I am happy again.

Just something to take note of if you are having control issues like me earlier on.

http://www.britishgaming.co.uk/?p=460

Ok, so it’s not a new holiday. Sony’s Playstation Day is a press event in London on May 6th, showing off the PS3 and PSP titles for 2008; Resistance 2, HOME and Go! Explore will feature.

To involve gamers back home, the European Playstation Store will be updated twice, on Tuesday and Thursday, offering a host of new content.

May 6th - HAZE Demo
On Tuesday May 6th, Sony will kick off the celebration with a demo for Ubisoft and Free Radical’s upcoming shooter, HAZE. Using the experimental performance drug, Nectar, you can unleash your full range of powers at the detriment of your health. A previous press release from Ubisoft confirmed that the game’s four player co-op will feature in the demo.

You’ll also be able to try out Condemned 2 if you haven’t already; Monolith’s latest spooky tramp hunter. New Playstation Network titles that will be available are Blast Factor Advanced, High Velocity Bowling and Street Skater.

May 8th - Race Driver: GRID and Bourne Conspiracy Demos
The following Thursday sees a second update with two brand new demos; a taste of Codemasters’ latest TOCA racer, GRID and High Moon Studios’ extension of the Bourne experience, The Bourne Conspiracy.

Then I realized that my SIXAXIS was wonky (The right stick was off centered, causing a natural clockwise spin/NW lean if I left it alone). Once I corrected this, I do not have to grip-lock my sticks to maintain a position anymore.

How did you fix your stick? Was it a hardware problem or a calibration issue? The left stick on one of my controllers rests in a slightly forward (or up) position instead of at center. You can tell by looking it is physically off center. I figured I would have to replace it but I haven't taken it apart yet to see if there is anything I can do with it.

It's a slow game, so I just make sure the stick is centered correctly when I repositioned the maze. For a fast game like RFOM, my position keeps changing anyway, so it doesn't seem to be a big issue. I have a DS3 on standby.

I got a JP,AU,German,HK and US accounts.

I can recommend the HK shop, they have plenty of hidef videos with some sweet Hongkong girls playing golf, driving Gokart and bowling among other things. And 3 HiDef music videos as well. Everything seems to be heavily sponsored by Sony of course :)

The AU shop used to have Music videos from local artists in HiDef as well. After the new shop launched i think they are gone now.

Still waiting for some Modern Talking stuff on the German shop..

Did i miss any shops?

Back