PS3 Demos

Rocketman, is that the one that has like a continuous play but each game you have to restart at level one? It did sound like something which is primarily a lot of fun for multiplayer.

Eurogamer's review gave it 3/10, and it sounded broken. The camera progresses whether you want it to or not. Sounds like Monster Madness would be a better choice for that style game, and that wasn't rated highly either! Sadly these four player coop action games just aren't well made, on the whole.

Eurogamer's review gave it 3/10, and it sounded broken. The camera progresses whether you want it to or not. Sounds like Monster Madness would be a better choice for that style game, and that wasn't rated highly either! Sadly these four player coop action games just aren't well made, on the whole.

But that's the thing - as a four player game, it could be excellent. These features of a game are rarely tested properly! It's really annoying. He does mention it, but well, just one line, and other people in this thread seem to like it.

I wish I had more gaming buddies to do such multiplayer more frequently. Well, maybe in the future, I moved 200km to this place a year ago, so I'm still rebuilding my friends list. ;) Sky Diving has some interesting multiplayer modes too that I would like to hear more about.

Last edited by a moderator:
But that's the thing - as a four player game, it could be excellent. These features of a game are rarely tested properly! It's really annoying. He does mention it, but well, just one line...

Eurogamer said:
More problems quickly become apparent. Most troublesome is the hideous scrolling, which lurches forward as you progress down your strictly linear path. Sometimes you'll be running to keep up, others your character will almost vanish off the top of the screen. And once the screen has scrolled in one direction, it won't scroll back again. So if the camera rolls just past something you wanted, tough. It's gone. There's no going back. This even applies to secondary objectives, which aren't actually explained in detail until after the level, but should you see some item of interest that can be interacted with, you'd best pounce on it before the camera jerks you away from it. It's an absolutely baffling decision, one that serves no creative or technical purpose, yet it makes you battle the game itself right from the off.

There's also the much-heralded four-player co-op, usually something to cheer about but, with such a litany of half-baked gameplay concepts crudely tumbling around, the addition of three more human players is far from enough to compensate. In fact, when it comes to things like the bizarre forced scrolling, it can make the cramped and confusing multiplayer even more annoying than the solo campaign.
I can't see how a non-stop scroller helps. Although having said that, SWIV was a non-stop scroller and that was a great game. If this is basically a sort of SWIV shooter rather than a Gauntlet game, it might not be so bad.

Well, the Eurogamer article is correct. Mostly.

I didn't play this single player, but only 3 or 4 player co-op. You can't backtrack. The game is linear.

With that said, it requires teamwork, and coordination. If someone is constantly pushing forward, so does the game. If you are methodical and work as a team, you can control the flow.

You can pick different classes of people (more health, more power, more enginnering) Every person has a vacum. You use that to pick up your items that people drop when you kill them In R&C it auto sucks. Here you need to activate it. If something is just off the screen, you can vacum it in. Everyone can invest experience in to making their vacum more powerful, thus sucking a wider range. Which is multi-faceted critical. You can get things that are further off the screen, or you tend to steal/collect more items that others just can't get.

During each level there are 3 types of $$ equivalent items. Each powering up weapons, or armor, or secondary items. More you get, more you spend. Also, each player earns experience. More you kill, less you die (XP penalty when you die. It increases the more you die.) At the end of the level you spend the experience.

You can go back and do any level you have already played and get any secondary missions, or to just gain more experience.

The enemies are varied, you get different weapons that you can power up (rate, damage, burst, spread, etc...) There are Bosses.

I give it a solid 8.5 for multiplayer game play. I didn't play it in Single Player. Keep that in mind. The challenges of the camera, and the strategy of the game forced everyone to communicate which often times I find gets left to the wayside in shooter games like this!

I can't see how a non-stop scroller helps. Although having said that, SWIV was a non-stop scroller and that was a great game. If this is basically a sort of SWIV shooter rather than a Gauntlet game, it might not be so bad.

This isn't a non stop scroller. What game is SWIV?

EDIT: Ooops. misspelled it when I googled it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amiga game, that ran non-stop with no loading interrupts from beginning to end. Two player coop in two different vehicles, and adaptive difficulty that increased the better you played. Much like the plane shooter 1942, only better ;)

side scrolling SILKWORM but topview (but i think the dev's refused to admit it was a nextgen silkworm right?)

I thought it stood for Silkworm IV, in a weird break with naming conventions ;). But I don't recall any Silkworm denial. The 2 player tank and chopper combo kinda gives it away! It just wasn't presented as a Silkworm sequel from little I remember (which is very little!). It was just 'here's SWIV'.

And I look forwards to the SWIV demo on PSN. Uh-huh. Which is why this is on topic. If there is a SWIV demo. Which would be cool.

Amiga game, that ran non-stop with no loading interrupts from beginning to end. Two player coop in two different vehicles, and adaptive difficulty that increased the better you played. Much like the plane shooter 1942, only better ;)

Man! I loved that game!!! I had it on amstrad 6128 (side scroler) and on amiga! Can't remember the name though...
I always used the heli and my brother the jeep, those were the days!!!

I thought it stood for Silkworm IV, in a weird break with naming conventions ;). But I don't recall any Silkworm denial. The 2 player tank and chopper combo kinda gives it away! It just wasn't presented as a Silkworm sequel from little I remember (which is very little!). It was just 'here's SWIV'.

And I look forwards to the SWIV demo on PSN. Uh-huh. Which is why this is on topic. If there is a SWIV demo. Which would be cool.

If memory serves me right the dev team ported Silkworm to the ST and Amiga decided they could advance the concept further. They didn't have a license to create a sequel to Silkworm, so the spiritual sequel of SWIV was born. :) More here: http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/swiv

Might have to fire up UAE tonight. And to drag this thread back on topic, how about SWIV HD on PSN?

There's loads of Amiga (16 bitters too) titles that'd make excellent remakes. Team17 should become DLC only, recreating Alien Breed, Project X etc. (actually Project X was awesome because of the visuals, but visuals aren't really a botleneck now. Otherwise it was Just Another Shooter ;)) Psygnosis could reappear. Shadow of the Beast had some impressive storytelling concepts. The 'FMV' intro to SotB2 sold us on an Amiga! Sensible Software have already graced XBLive! with Sensi Soccer. Megalomania properly redone would be a blast, and Cannon Fodder was a classic (not sure how controls would port though). And I want to see a remake of Silly Putty too!

Um...this really is off topic. We have to keep to what's available! Is there a list of the EU store? Or is it generally the same as the US but a few months behind?

Gods and Xenon 2 were both better than SWIV though (Bitmap Brothers were awesome) and maybe deserve a HD version sooner ;). Xenon 2 has some of the best 2D graphics of all time. Blood Money is a good run for the money too, and one that could look particularly awesome in 3D graphics. It's interesting - watching this video and having watched another video earlier, is that really the Amiga version? I remember targets lighting up bright white when hit, at least on the Atari ST, but also I think on a video of SWIV I just recently posted in another thread, and graphics being slightly sharper than this.

Anyway, the EU store is basically just as you describe it, although some games for some reason take more than just a few months.

There's loads of Amiga (16 bitters too) titles that'd make excellent remakes. Team17 should become DLC only, recreating Alien Breed, Project X etc. (actually Project X was awesome because of the visuals, but visuals aren't really a botleneck now. Otherwise it was Just Another Shooter ;)) Psygnosis could reappear. Shadow of the Beast had some impressive storytelling concepts. The 'FMV' intro to SotB2 sold us on an Amiga! Sensible Software have already graced XBLive! with Sensi Soccer. Megalomania properly redone would be a blast, and Cannon Fodder was a classic (not sure how controls would port though). And I want to see a remake of Silly Putty too!

Um...this really is off topic. We have to keep to what's available! Is there a list of the EU store? Or is it generally the same as the US but a few months behind?

Damn I miss the good old Psygnosis. Isnt it Studio Liverpool now?

Cannon fodder has already been ported to numerous consoles that operate without a mouse. If you legally own the SNES cart (ahem :LOL: ) you should check it out in ZSNES.

Back