PS3 Demos

wasn't very impressed with the Rally demo. i think DiRT looks and plays better (meaning the controls, not the framerate, both have pretty solid framerates). it just felt like you were gliding too much and its too much of an arcade racer if that makes any sense. one thing i liked about the visuals over DiRT was there is less aliasing. but for arcade rally racers, i still think MotorStorm is king. it doesn't feel like you're gliding around corners, it actually feels like you're driving through dirt and/or mud. in Dirt/Sega Rally, it almost feels like playing RR7.

I enjoyed Sega Rally more than Dirt demo possibly because of the arcade handling. Lighting wasn't spectacular but AA and framerate were nice. Compared to cars however the environment looks too cartoony. The mirror didn't always showed the car behind me making the damn thing pretty useless for the most part. Track deformation looked and felt nice but way too exaggerated for those tracks in the demo.

I agree however, in terms of gameplay, Motorstorm was the most fun.

djskribbles said:
i still think MotorStorm is king. it doesn't feel like you're gliding around corners, it actually feels like you're driving through dirt and/or mud. in Dirt/Sega Rally, it almost feels like playing RR7.

I agree however, in terms of gameplay, Motorstorm was the most fun.

Thanks for saving me some money ! I was waiting for more people to compare MotorStorm and this game (and DiRT).

I like the slippery mud in MotorStorm too. Went to a racing event about 2 months ago; it was exactly like the festival depicted at the beginning of MotorStorm... tents, dirt/desert, flags, cars, people (+ police), NOISE, etc.

I sincerely hope that the other developers can beat MotorStorm in terms of "funness". That way MotorStorm 2 will be even better.

Last edited by a moderator:
i was expecting more things from the sega rally demo. i dont know, maybe cause i'm temporarly on a CRT TV? Its a shame the roads are in a corridor, you cant bump against walls or trees. a motorstorm + segarally mix should have been better

exactly

it's supposed to feel like RR7. It is pure arcade racing... I am having more fun with the SR Revo demo than with DiRT when I owned it for a month or two. :p

oh and trust me.... rumble in the controller makes a difference going through the deformed mud.... upcoming ShockAxis for the win. :)
if its a rally racer, arcade or not, i think it should still feel like you're driving in mud/dirt. in DiRT, it did somewhat feel that way, but in Sega Rally, it did not imo. the absence of rumble would definitely affect the feel, but only to a certain degree and it doesn't change the fact that it felt like you were gliding too much.
its just not my cup of tea, i guess... i always did prefer sims over arcade racers.

edit: after playing the demo again, i did enjoy it more than initially. i like how it tells you the upcoming turns as basic as they can (medium turn, easy turn etc), not like DiRT (i don't understand rally talk :LOL:). still feel like you're gliding too much, but it is kind of fun... i probably won't be buying though, but again, i was never a fan of arcade racers.

for visuals, the mud does looks pretty nice, although it is exaggerated like someone mentioned. the AA is very nice (Mmmkay posted at GAF that both versions use 4xMSAA) but it does kind of look too cartoony. overall, it is a nice looking game that runs buttery smooth.

Good that there was a demo. I probably would have bought it after the good reviews, but this was really dull and boring.
I`ll wait for Burnout.

Thanks for saving me some money ! I was waiting for more people to compare MotorStorm and this game (and DiRT).

aren't there demos of all 3 for you to try out yourself?

I'm sure MS is a blast but DiRT, MS and SRR are completely different animals and are not even in the same genre IMO.

dirt is a semi-sim and SRR is as ARCADE as arcade gets. More arcade than even MS as it's about the way the cars handle (like an old arcade power-slide racer), the game play experience (it has cheesy -but catchy- music, says "Game Over" at the end of each race ;)) and the way the AI reacts to you which in no way tries to represent real life. (catch up AI)

It's more about beating your best time over and over and the addiction that comes from that. Hopefully if multiplayer is as fun, then that component will be in and of itself worth the purchase.

aren't there demos of all 3 for you to try out yourself?

I am too busy to download and try out (or I didn't bother to download and try out). Still have Lair and HS to finish. Warhawk remains unplayed and I am feeling this constant pull from Resistance (Just replayed "The Mall" level yesterday for a quick 15 minutes). Since MotorStorm received another patch and map pack, my friends and I have not played it yet even. Actually, they might have played it without me, but you get the point.

I'm sure MS is a blast but DiRT and SRR are completely different animals and are not even in the same genre IMO.

dirt is a semi-sim and SRR is as ARCADE as arcade gets. More arcade than even MS as it's about the way the cars handle (like an old arcade power-slide racer), the game play experience (it says "Game Over" at the end of each race ;)) and the way the AI reacts to you which in no way tries to represent real life. (catch up AI)

It's more about beating your best time over and over and the addiction that comes form that. Hopefully if multiplayer is as fun, then that component will be in and of itself worth the purchase.

I am not a racing fan (noting that I have not played a full GT game before). MotorStorm and Mario Kart are about the only 2 racers I like so far. RR7 and F1 demoes were deleted. GT demo is still around because these guys have exquisite taste in graphics and it shows. I managed to unlock all the cars though. I have no doubt each of these games have their own personality, but I am just looking for loads of wild fun.

I even feel like accelerating my car over a hump when I drive for real right after MS. >_<

I am not a racing fan (noting that I have not played a full GT game before). MotorStorm and Mario Kart are about the only 2 racers I like so far. RR7 and F1 demoes were deleted. GT demo is still around because these guys have exquisite taste in graphics and it shows. I managed to unlock all the cars though. I have no doubt each of these games have their own personality, but I am just looking for loads of wild fun.

I even feel like accelerating my car over a hump when I drive for real right after MS. >_<

I'm like you in that as much as I TRY to like sim racers, I always last about 5 days and get bored never really getting a rush from it but just experimenting and learning how to drive. For reference my two favorite racing games of all time are the original F-Zero (SNES) and Wipeout (PS1). :D

SRR just sucks you into this vortex of on the edge of your seat speed and fun. (especially in hood cam with the sound effects turned up on a surround system :cool:)

Ironically, the dirt and mud that flys off of and onto the vehicles is much more realistic and pronounced than DiRT. this game (demo) needs to be played about ten times to find what I'm talking about since it's such a departure from the realism most games have tried to increasingly emulate. Many times with demos, I read of people DL-ing it, checking it out for ten minutes and then deleting, saying "meh".

some games need a bit more of a chance to understand where the fun lies and that it is pure arcade. Most of us are conditioned for a more sim-like experience. IMO it can not even be compared to dirt or other rally games.

from Eurogamer:
It really is the perfect quick-fix driving experience that anyone can play; a fabulous looking game which requires zero explanation, with short, furiously intense three lap races that keep you coming back for more. Die hard, old school veterans will be astonished how well SEGA's new UK studio has nailed what was required, and newcomers will admire how fresh it all feels. A driving game that's not a complete slog to get into? A game which places fun front and centre from the moment you pick up the pad. Imagine that....

...While we're on the subject, one thing we haven't really focused too much on yet is how incredible the game looks, and throws out more detail than pretty much any driving game to date. Ok, so it's only running at 30 frames per second, but it's an absolutely rock-solid 30 frames per second. Despite that rather irksome fact, it's the first time in ages that a developer has really transmitted that blistering arcade sensation that old hands constantly go on about.

check out these reviews. eurogamer is not usually this generous in their praise. :p

9/10 eurogamer

8.8/10 IGN UK

I read the reviews and am happy for the developers. As I said, I'm not a racing fan per se. The reasons I like MotorStorm are simple (and you'll see later). They are not related to whether it's arcady or realistic at all (I don't care). These are terms invented to categorize/pigeon-hole games, they don't necessarily serve to communicate the entertainment values of a game well.

I like MotorStorm because it has multiple types of vehicles (bikes vs ATVs vs pickup trucks vs RVs). Racing against them using your vehicle advantages and wit in a rough terrain with aggressive AI is fun. It's hard to win, but we (and the very naughty AI) derive entertainment values in our own ways. It is not uncommon for us to veer off course on purpose to take down a particular AI who moon'ed us (or gave us the finger), and then somehow (e.g., take risky/unintended routes and fly/get) back in the game and finish at #2 :LOL:

The realism in this case serves to entertain, immerse and challenge us rather than for people to tweak their vehicles. The physics just feel right. The game also goes very well with DUI and drunken friends (Try SIXAXIS control on them). :LOL:

I feel that having a list of features like deformable trail, mud, or even rumble is great (every off-road racer seems to have those now); but they need to be seen as part of the level design/tracks. I like the MS tracks. I think it was in the "Rain God Mesa" course, we are still trying to run our bikes up the narrow planks to make them jump. I don't know who has done it successfully yet.

Nonetheless... it's great that you enjoy those games and like I said. I hope the developers come up with even more fun games than MotorStorm. I'm keeping my ears to the ground listening to MotorStorm people and any other related rumbles. If something sounds interesting, then I will probably give it a try after I have finished HS and Lair.

EDIT: Hmmm... I just remember Eurogamer is the magazine that claims one can use the "Hailstorm" in Resistance multiplayer even though the gun is never there. They gave Resistance a 7/10 (average is 8.7/10). I'll definitely look elsewhere for other reviews too.

I didn't really like SRR at all. It just isn't my cup of tea. I like my rally racing a little more realistic and point to point like it should be. Plus damage is absolutely necessary in a rally game and it's an unforgivable omission. I did like the mud though, but I think I'm gonna go with Dirt even though I don't really like the driving model of that game all that much either.

The demo that really surprised me was Stuntman Ignition. It came out of nowhere, since I'd heard almost nothing about the game. It was a blast, so much so I think I'm gonna get it (even thogh I had cero interest in the game before, that's how powerful demos can be). I just need more info on the stunt creator to seal the deal, I hope it's robust enough.

It just isn't my cup of tea.....

exactly... to each his own... but for the same reasons that patsu listed that he likes MS or you about diRT, someone else may feel that it is incomplete for their desires.

that's why there are so many to choose from. ;)

some people buy one racing game, once sports game one action etc... and stick with it. others buy 2-3 of each a year tasting them all for the variety and sticking with some longer than others when they keep giving you joy. :cool:

edit:
EDIT: Hmmm... I just remember Eurogamer is the magazine that claims one can use the "Hailstorm" in Resistance multiplayer even though the gun is never there. They gave Resistance a 7/10 (average is 8.7/10). I'll definitely look elsewhere for other reviews too. Last edited by patsu : 21-Sep-2007 at 14:51.
that's why I said "they do not give praise lightly"... most all of their review scores are lower than the mainstream average. Again... I doubt you'll like the demo based on what you told me, but my original point was, why trust a review or me or someone else here for a definitive answer when the demo is sitting right there on your DEMO button. (when you have time) ;)

God Sega Rally was total rubbish. I don't even know why Sega bother anymore if they release trash like this.

As soon as the in-game loaded it was like PS2 on the TV, an uber-powerful PS2 but PS2-esque nonetheless. I played for no more than 15seconds. Quit and uninstalled immediately. Total waste of 700MB.

Maybe it’s the deviant graphics lover in me, but with no quirky control mechanism you can't pass of visual fidelity this poor for a franchise like this.

I thought DiRT was poor too. Maybe it's just me, I can't play any racer outside of GT, F1CE and PGR without frowning upon the visuals. Forza gets a pass because it has a solid physics model.

On a more positive note I enjoyed Skate, this was a surprise, despite the desperately annoying quips of "sick" every now and then.

Die hard, old school veterans will be astonished how well SEGA's new UK studio has nailed what was required, and newcomers will admire how fresh it all feels.

Nailed ? This is supposed to be an arcade racer, so where are jumps, where is boost, crashes, damage, physics, sense of speed, shortcuts, varied tracks - where`s the fun ?
This feels old - very old...

edit:
that's why I said "they do not give praise lightly"... most all of their review scores are lower than the mainstream average. Again... I doubt you'll like the demo based on what you told me, but my original point was, why trust a review or me or someone else here for a definitive answer when the demo is sitting right there on your DEMO button. (when you have time) ;)

I don't know... if they are wrong about even the weapon selection in Resistance. Its dubious what score they gave to the game. :)

I have a mixed feeling about this. After some racing and finishing first very easily and quickly, I do really like the feel of the different surfaces (the beach sand is cool), and I do like the deformable terrain, which works rather well and really has an effect on your handling. I like the smooth framerate, and it does give a good Arcade feel. And the cars get dirty in a decent way.

That said, the demo doesn't have replays, which is bad (I miss that in Motorstorm too but here it's worse, because there is so little else, really ;) ). The gameplay is too shallow in general, which is a shame.

I think I agree with the Eurogamer review in that it's a good Arcade quick fix.

I still have to try it with a wheel. No Motion Sensing on this one either, at least not in the demo.

All in all it feels a bit too shallow, and I don't agree with the Eurogamer score: 9/10, from Eurogamer? I don't see it. That was a mistake, probably from an old-school Sega fan. I think the first thing it would need to have any kind of longevity through for instance online modes, is a better way of dealing with crashing into the walls and such, so you can get some decent laptime challenges / highscores and such, and upload replays. It's just not looking good right now in terms of replayability. Tracks are really short too.

I tried the Stuntman demo by the way, and that was enjoyable. While I don't really like it, I did find myself playing it over and over, because as a game it has certain appeal.

I also tried the Skate demo just recently and that was actually really, really good. Heaps better than Tony Hawk in fact. Very well done! Excellent rethinking of the controls there, and bringing back some of the sense of achievement for even relatively simple moves.

rumor is the N/A store is getting GT5P, NFS PS, PES08 and WWE SD vs Raw 08 demos this week. hope this is true and i hope we get a different GT5P demo.

I really do hate the European arm of PSN.

The content is getting fairly good now, but I get no communication about updates or anything from them.

I get a mess of characters from Japan and the America every week, but nothing from Europe.

They really should sort it out.

I have found this list of supposed release dates for my fellow Europeans.

http://www.ps3party.nl/nieuws/item/39201/

Seems R&C Future is getting a name change like Deadlocked did.

Back