Console Performance - Now or Later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because CryENGINE2 is the most powerful engine on the market? It is second only to idTech5.

On what market? Can it beat UE4 and I doubt idTech5 would say a chance against IdTech 6.

I'll think one should wait for games based on those engines to be released before we crown them the most powerful.

The Wii has the most untapped potential. It is quite obviously the most powerful console the world has ever known. The devs just haven't figured it out yet. When, "Halo 5: Master Chief and Solid Snake Save the World," comes out, running in 2160p on the Wii, all of you will have to look back at this post, and remark on how perfect my vision of the future is.

I dont think you thought it through all the way. Futureproofing has nothing to do with people buying 8800GTX SLI setups. PC users buying SLI 8800 setups are just hardware geeks.

You would have been better of for the future, buying just a single 8800GTX, save the $500 and spend them for an upgrade in 2 years or whatever.

Sorry I didn't explain that very well :cry:

I was more so suggesting that if I had to buy a new motherboard and graphics card personally I would opt for a SLI motherboard and a single 8800 (or some similar 8 series card). This way I'm set for most games in the imediate future and also down the road when the single card isn't enough I could then buy a second (and hopefully much cheaper by this time) 8800. Would this not be cheaper than say buying a motherboard with only a single graphics card and then completley replacing that card with latest one down the road? Granted that I'm not the most familiar with the pricing and If I'm wrong I appologise.

It is possible to go too far with too much future proofing, which can ultimately lead to unforeseen circumstances. For the sake of argument, lets just assume the PS3 is perfectly future proofed. That future proofing came at a cost, most notably the $599 initial price of entry. That price of entry has affected sales of the unit. Now as a result, uber budget PS3 exclusive games like Metal Gear are being faced with the potential reality that they may not recoup their huge development costs. Other uber budget games also face this potential situation. This in turn gets the suits and bean counters thinking if being platform exclusive really makes sense. (Note, I'm just using Metal Gear as an example of a 'what if' consequence).

A very good point and perhaps accurate of the current trend in the console market. It's possible to go too far with almost everything. A balance must be struck as you allude to. Future proofing comes with increased cost and as you said can have unforeseen consquences and set of a chain reaction of events. I guess it all comes down to the percieved value the consumer has in the product.

When I first bought my PS3 I paid approx $200 more for it than I did for the PS2. To me it was worth it as I felt I got much more value out of the box.

I think it may not be soley about price at this point but mores so the lack of quality software that is hurting sales (coupled with the price obviously). Best game I've played on my PS3 so far is God of War 2 hehe. But as for the balance that Sony struck in regards to future proofing, for me personally I'm more than happy with the hardware, just need some more software and I'm set :smile:

Hopefuly the cycle you mentioned of low sale means less quality software which in turn means lower sales etc is broken in the near future.

I could tell you exactly why GTA was delayed to next year...but I'll never betray sources. Plus, it's way more fun to hear people post "facts" as to why it was delayed. One thing is for sure though, the people on this forum would never believe the real answer anyways ;)

Let me guess

ps3 isn't powerful enough ?

had to make short cuts, doesnt run as fast as the 360, too complex etc etc...

The only way for the X360 do achieve AA at HD resolutions is by using tiling....

So going by the GameFAQ's logic that B3D has turned into, a 7600GT rig is more powerful than a X360! zOMG!

Just for a laugh, since we are using this silly logic, respond to this:

X360 runs Madden 08 2x better (twice the framerate, same graphics) than the PS3.

Now, whatever your response is to that, can be applied to your prey statement.

Says who? And how that applies to consoles i have no idea, as its common knowledge that you'd want a custom engine rather than a PC engine if you want to "max" out a console

Good night!

Explain to me, why did Microsoft drop the 2XMSAA requirement on the games?
Sure, you can say, most games are developed on Unreal Engine 3 which doesn't suppport tiling. Do you know the architecture of the 360 thoroughly, if you do, then I will say you're right.
Oh, and Madden 08 doesn't prove anything. For one thing, EA is not the best developer out there that can utilize the PS3. NBA Live 08 runs at 60fps...what's your point
NBA 07 ran at 1080p 60fps, which came out before Madden 08, both are sports game.

Comparsion are kind of hard not to discuss since this topic is the birth child of the current perception of this generation.
There's absolutely no need to determine whether XB360 is more powerful than PS3 or not - the question is hypothetical. Which would you prefer - easier access to the hardware for devs to tap it earlier, or more leg-room? The question was not 'would you want a XB360/PS3 because it is easier to tap now, or a XB360/PS3 because it's more powerful in the long run'! A reference to the current consoles as examples is fine, but not a direct comparison because it's a circular argument that just gets rubbish posted, like we're seeing here.

Hence the lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back