Sony employee(s) caught editing Halo3 wikipage.. *

EndR

Regular
The Halo3 storm is coming and Sony apparently wants to modify it a bit..

OL: SCEE caught red handed editing Wikipedia Halo 3 entry, insult graphics
dot_clear.gif

Uh oh, SCEE has been caught editing a Wikipedia entry on Halo 3. Sony added "Halo 3 won't look any better than Halo 2" to the entry, although the page has been corrected and locked from further alterations. The IP address which was uncovered by Wikipedia as editing the respective page is 217.18.23.2 and that goes straight back to SCEE's Liverpool studios.
http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=20429

Indeed. By the way, how easy is it to fake these addresses?

Hardly constitutes Sony editing it though.

One guys personal opinion is all it is, he may not even work for Sony and might be the cleaner :LOL:

Too obvious as a ploy. It can be anything from a Sony visitor, intern, to zealous Sony employee. I can post from the IP addresses of several large companies right now. At least one of them have a free Wifi (public) network for anyone in the vacinity to connect to. :)

I seriously doubt that'd be official Sony action, because it's so unsubtle. Okay, Sony's marketing has been defining new lows of late, but I'd hope to goodness if they're going to be doing something underhanded like that, they'd employ quality stealth-trolls. Troll technology progresses faster than any other internet technologies, and the level of subtle trolling possible today is amazing.

Basically, IMO, it's a setup. Unless there's a rogue employee at Sony Liverpool, it makes zero sense.

If I were the head of PR for one of these console makers, I would be sending out memos to employees telling them not to do this kind of thing from work. It was probably just some guy on his lunch break, messing about, but the competition can come back and use it as ammo.

Shameful behavior

I would assume it is a single person or a group over at SCEE Liverpool studio that made the entry. But really to be expected considering other PS3 devs "attacks" against the xbox360/games. A new low has been reached although it may already be at the bottom of the abyss... tssss. :???:

lol that was pathetic. Although I doubt this was planned by Sony themselves. I dont think they would have acted THAT foolish ignoring the possibility of being caught through their IP address of something.

Btw do we know if this is real btw? I cant find any other source regarding the incident and this one doesnt say much. Where did they get the news from?

Unsurprising.

To those that are harping on about how Sony would be above such a thing, have any of you seen their interviews over the past few years? :rolleyes:

This is one of the many showing of sony's style lately.

Seriously, Sony used to be the kings of marketing/image. They were sheek, confident, and elite. Somewhere along the line they crossed the line of over-confidence.

A much more effective measure would have been touting their elite wares as they have some truly great stuff in the pipeline that speaks for itself.

lol that was pathetic. Although I doubt this was planned by Sony themselves. I dont think they would have acted THAT foolish ignoring the possibility of being caught through their IP address of something.

Btw do we know if this is real btw? I cant find any other source regarding the incident and this one doesnt say much. Where did they get the news from?

You can track the IP of edits. What more are they supposed to say, basically all they know is that someone using the IP of SCEE in liverpool modified the halo wiki page.

I certainly don't believe it was anything that someone was paid to do, although it wouldn't surprise me all that much if it were. Corporations continue to reach for new lows all the time.

You're right.

I remember it like it was yesterday when Moore was calling ps3 a "ps2.5" ...

The only "insult" I've seen from MS is questioning the price which as we've seen, many agree it's too expensive.

I've never seen MS trash their games or the ps3's abilities.

Actually, "selective editing" of Wikipedia pages was common in corporations before politics realized that "potential". I remember the first scandal I heard about was a few years ago, when Siemens employees decided to alter their wiki page and of the CEO at that time.
Such behaviour in individual is pretty stupid, IMO, as it falls back on the company they're part of / they identify with. It'd be even worse if the IP were linked to some marketing firm doing the dirty laundry for the big corporation. Image the shit storm that would cause.

[modhat]Right now, this stops being a 'which company is worse at insults/PR thread'. Discussions comparing how much Sony, MS, or anyone else produces marketing crap and gets caught for it (if they run bots and make edits but no-one catches them at it, does it make it okay...) is just going to end in virtual fisticuffs. If the thread is to avoid me closing it, it'll have to follow up with research into who did the edit and why, or discussion on what blunders Sony are making and have made. Do not start comparing companies to determine which is the most evil/righteous. At the end of the day they're all scum, one way or another![modhat]

I think it just boils down to irresponsibility and idiocracy of whoever did it at the LP Studio. Just makes Sony look bad.

To those that are harping on about how Sony would be above such a thing, have any of you seen their interviews over the past few years? :rolleyes:
They're certainly not above it.

Nor is pretty much any multi-billion-dollar company. Google included despite what people want to think about them (do no evil and all that). It's just the nature of business I suppose.

What I have some qualms about is the quick jump to conclusion that Sony DID in fact have something to do wiht this without any direct evidence to the effect!

All there is is an IP address that points to a minor UK subsidiary of their games division and a number of questionable/objectionable/failed PR stunts in the past.

That's not a very strong foundation to base any sort of official agenda/conspiracy to commit wikipedia vandalism on..

Peace.

I would assume it is a single person or a group over at SCEE Liverpool studio that made the entry. But really to be expected considering other PS3 devs "attacks" against the xbox360/games. A new low has been reached although it may already be at the bottom of the abyss... tssss. :???:

Not really. It can also be ex-employees, young friends/relatives of Sony employees and visitors, etc. The poster may not need to be in Sony too (Access to an active VPN laptop suffices).

At this point, it's pretty much an isolated incident. If this is a marketing game, it would be done via a third party and more concerted.

Back