Voodoo Extreme - 3D card poll

swaaye

Entirely Suboptimal
Legend
Supporter
Eeek, check out how well ATI isn't doing! Wow...... Yeah it's just a sampling from the VE folk, but that site has a readership going back almost a decade now so I thought it was interesting.
http://ve3d.ign.com/poll/173/My-current-video-card-is-a

Edit: just noticed their weird labeling for the Xxxxx cards and lack of more HD2x00 options. Hmmm. Dumb poll. Nothing to see here, move along. LOL.

If you like to look at some interesting stats, check out YouGamers user hardware stats here:

http://www.yougamers.com/community/userhardwarestats/

They sure are interesting to say the least! We will also introduce a similar stats page based on our ORB data in the near future.

If you guys have any suggestions of what kind of lists you'd like to see, don't be shy to let me know.

Cheers,

Nick

Nick[FM];1059863 said:
If you like to look at some interesting stats, check out YouGamers user hardware stats here:

http://www.yougamers.com/community/userhardwarestats/

They sure are interesting to say the least!
You're not kidding! The upturn in DX9 GPU usage in the last month stands out, as does the relative distribution of single-core vs dual-core processors. Seems like YouGamers readers are still hanging on to what I'd class as an old system, although it seems SM3.0 DX9 is more prevalent than SM2.x DX9.

The layout of the charts seems very similar to the steam user charts. So whats up with that? Is there some same specific software used to make those charts?

You're not kidding! The upturn in DX9 GPU usage in the last month stands out, as does the relative distribution of single-core vs dual-core processors. Seems like YouGamers readers are still hanging on to what I'd class as an old system, although it seems SM3.0 DX9 is more prevalent than SM2.x DX9.

Well all things considering. I believe there are more SM 3.0 type card types than there are SM 2.0?

Geforce 6
Geforce 7
Geforce 8

X1000 series
HD200 series ?

Verses

Geforce FX
Radeon 9000 ((excluding 9200))
X800 series

Am I missing any?

I see tons of low end Geforce 6200/6150 distributed these days with laptops and low end systems as well. Considering the age of the Radeon 9000 series which probably the best selling SM 2.0 hardware I'm not really surprised..

Last edited by a moderator:
Radeon X300-X850 are SM2 only. I don't think X700 - X850 sold as well as GeForce 6, however. X700 was a real disappointment as ATI's midrange usually is, and X800-X850 just weren't as popular as 6800.

I'm sure there are a gazillion OEM X300, X550, X600, and X700 cards out there tho. The higher end cards are certainly more rare.

Last edited by a moderator:
well yeah. More of a high-end FPS gamer group. Fascinating, nonetheless. But their poll is useless because they didn't put ATI's cards in it right at all. I guess that could say a few things though, such as the editors not being as aware of ATI's product line. Or that they are just confused over the ridiculous number of models available.

The layout of the charts seems very similar to the steam user charts. So whats up with that? Is there some same specific software used to make those charts?
I think there are only few ways to show the stats, and thus they all look a bit like each other. There's no specific software we use, but for 2 graphs we use a 3rd party flash util.

We'll soon publish our ORB stats as well. Hang on!

Cheers,

Nick

Heh. ATI's R600 stuff isn't even on the most popular graphics chart. They show up in a wee tiny way on the DX10 cards chart, however....

Core 2 has been thoroughly adopted.

SM2.0-only cards are slipping away. The higher performance cards of this ilk, namely X8x0, are rather rare. But, where's the ever-"popular" GeForce FX 5200/5500? I suppose this is the 3DMark06 data, and those folk aren't going to be running that. Over at the Steam survey, GFFX is quite prominent however.

XP wins, still. Not surprising considering the lack of real incentive for gamers to move to Vista.

2 gigs is popular.

1024x768 lives!

We may introduce similar lists for 3DMark05, PCMark05 and 3DMark03 as well. We are also working on lists to show you the distribution of Vista vs. XP and SM2.0 vs. SM3.0 vs. SM4.0 and more (from the 3DMark06 data that is).

Again, if you guys have ideas of what kind of lists you'd like to see, just let us know!

Cheers,

Nick

Nick[FM];1073392 said:
We may introduce similar lists for 3DMark05, PCMark05 and 3DMark03 as well. We are also working on lists to show you the distribution of Vista vs. XP and SM2.0 vs. SM3.0 vs. SM4.0 and more (from the 3DMark06 data that is).

Again, if you guys have ideas of what kind of lists you'd like to see, just let us know!

Cheers,

Nick

Frame Buffer size would be nice to know.

Thanks for the ideas guys! If you have more, don't be shy to post it here (or email me directly).

Cheers,

Nick

Nick[FM];1059863 said:
If you guys have any suggestions of what kind of lists you'd like to see, don't be shy to let me know.

Cheers,

Nick

Nick check the label above the list of the most popular Intel processors!

Nick check the label above the list of the most popular Intel processors!
Yep, we fixed that already but we haven't updated the lists in a few days now. They will get updated & going later today. Thanks for the feedback though. :)

Cheers,

Nick

I thought it rather remarkable how blatantly unpopular 8600GT is given the context surrounding it on that list. It seems fairly clear that the market there either stuck with their 7600s or went for 8800GTS instead.

Only the top 10 tho, with the other 65% of the sample lumped into "Other"? That's not broken down further anywhere?

Back