Has there ever been a rivalry between SD memory chips and memory pro duo chips?

randycat99

Veteran
Seems like this was one of those "format wars" that never sorted itself out into 1 easy solution for the consumer? The latest incarnations (used in various cellphone or camera devices) seem to be a competition between those tiny SD-micro chips and the larger (physically) Memory Stick ProDuo chips.

Are they pretty much neck and neck when it comes to MB's/$? Are there any other peripheral pros and cons? Will one technology "top out" earlier, in maximum capacity? Is hardware support in various devices more prevalent in one format over the other?

The reason I ask is I saw a most peculiar kind of memory card adapter at BB, today. Usually you see those SD-micro's can slip into a larger SD-mini adapter or Memory Stick ProDuo's can slip into a larger Memory Stick Duo adapter...no problem there. What I saw today was an adapter that allows you to slip an SD-micro chip into a Memory Stick Pro-Duo adapter and specifically cited for use in SonyEriccson cellphones. This was an interesting combination, imo.

Given that my cellphone uses a Memory Stick Pro Duo, and if I am thinking of upgrading the memory capacity over 1 GB, I could either shop the 2 GB prices for Memory Stick Pro Duo's or consider this adapter and shop the 2 GB prices for SD-micro's. Is this a viable option (given that SD-micro's seem to be leading the price advantage, atm), or should I just stick with the memory style that my phone is built to use?

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, quite few phone numbers. The wonder of these cellphone gadgets is really quite amazing. They make decent cameras and mp3 players, as well. Certainly there are better dedicated devices, but if a single cellphone device can alleviate me from needing to carry 3 devices, I'm all for it. ;) Mostly, I just carry mp3's, though. It's great to be able to carry hours of stuff with you. You may never get a chance to listen to all of it at one visit, but the library of material will stay fresh for a good long time w/o needing to frequently load and unload new material. 1 GB can be plenty to hold hours of music, but then the temptation is to go multiple GB's if it allows you to hold your ENTIRE collection at your disposal, anytime, anywhere. I used to think 1 GB should hold me up quite well, as long as I don't go gonzo, but now I'm thinking 2 would be more comfortable. Who knows?...maybe that won't be the end, either!

C'mon...not one person wants to say how Sony memory sticks are an evil incarnation, and everybody should be adapting SD micro chips? :p

As the electrical and protocol specs of MS and SD are incompatible, I'd be a bit skeptical of the adapter. Go ahead and try it if it is supposed to work with your phone, but don't be shocked if you find compatibility problems between different devices. And in general, don't believe what people on bulletin boards tell you to buy. Assume that I'm talking out of my arse, too.

C'mon...not one person wants to say how Sony memory sticks are an evil incarnation, and everybody should be adapting SD micro chips? :p

i'll bite :) ..

they're not so bad,,, but when you replace a k750 ( nicked) with a k800 and find out that the new phone is "sony memory pro duo 2" you get that EVIL SONY feeling :( .

at least with transflashmicroXD , you can get adapters to fit microSD slots :(

So earlier SE phones actually supported microSD memory? I would not have expected that (though I don't have a lot of experience in phone memory to go by). I just assumed it would be natural that SE phones would cater to their own memory format.

Mostly I'm just curious if most people would just assume use microSD memory over a "Sony-style" Memory stick, if given the choice, or does it even matter, at all? Are there any compelling reasons why 2 CE device memory formats need to exist?

The microSD-to-ProDuo memory stick adapter is awfully intriguing to me. I wonder if it could work, as well. It just seems strange to me that an adapter like this would actually be created if there wasn't some interest in using microSD chips more universally.

The majority of new phones support only microSD so it makes more sense to go with microSD and use a microSD->MS adapter for that rare SONY device. If you go with MS, you're likely stuck with mostly SONY devices along with the higher prices. Of course if you're a SONY fanboy using only SONY products, then the choice is obvious.;):LOL:

Only sony products support memory stick.

Everything else supports SD. Which is why there really isn't a format war. Sony is off in their own little world and they'll eventually drop it, just like they did with ATRAC (their own compressed audio format).

As the electrical and protocol specs of MS and SD are incompatible, I'd be a bit skeptical of the adapter. Go ahead and try it if it is supposed to work with your phone, but don't be shocked if you find compatibility problems between different devices. And in general, don't believe what people on bulletin boards tell you to buy. Assume that I'm talking out of my arse, too.

I've got a triple adaptor thingy, with mine the actual flash memory is its own special little card that plugs into a either a mini-SD (so also SD) or mem stick pro adaptor.

So far compatible with everything I've tried (my mini-SD phone, SD Wii and PSP), nice to have 2 GB that plugs in almost everything I've got.

Only sony products support memory stick.

Everything else supports SD. Which is why there really isn't a format war. Sony is off in their own little world and they'll eventually drop it, just like they did with ATRAC (their own compressed audio format).

Sony still supports ATRAC, and I’m pretty sure one of my old JVC cams uses Memory sticks.

Anyway what advantages does Memory sticks have over SD

Edit

Never mind my old JVS cam doesn't support MSs but RS-MMC

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve always had respect for Sony for sticking with their property format despite them failing.

Guess with Stringer that won't be the case anymore :cry:

So earlier SE phones actually supported microSD memory? I would not have expected that (though I don't have a lot of experience in phone memory to go by). I just assumed it would be natural that SE phones would cater to their own memory format.

oops sorry , k750 -> memory stick something
k800 -> memory stick pro duo 2 something or other..

but more importantly, was cheaper to buy an mp3 player than buy some memory for the phone to use it as an mp3 player ;) .

think it was more annoying coz i couldnt get any memory for the phone when it came out :(

Back