The World's First NAS for PlayStation3 & Xbox360 DLNA Media Streaming

The World's First NAS for PlayStation3 & Xbox360 DLNA Media Streaming

(PRLog.Org) – Taipei, Taiwan, Sep 3, 2007 - The leading network-attached storage (NAS) provider- QNAP Systems, Inc. today announced the release of the latest firmware for the All-in-one NAS, TS-109 and TS-209 series to fully support the DLNA media playing function of Sony PlayStation3 and Microsoft Xbox360. The new firmware enhances the DLNA multimedia sharing support for video game consoles to enrich the digital home applications. All the multimedia contents stored on QNAP NAS can be automatically shared to a PS3 or an Xbox360 in the home network. Users can play their stored photos and videos on a TV, or listen to the music via their Hi-Fi system. QNAP NAS can be a perfect home storage and sharing center for establishing a PC-less, HD video-playing (via PS3, video resolution up to 1080p), highly accessible, and power-saving digital home theatre.

In the latest NAS firmware, the built-in TwonkyMedia is upgraded to version 4.4 to enhance the interoperability with PS3 and Xbox360. Users do not need to pay extra effort or money to install additional software for the new function. The new firmware is now available on QNAP website for free upgrade. According to Mr. Brian Lee, VP of QNAP Research & Development Dept, "The new generation TS-109 and TS-209 series break through the transfer rate bottleneck of traditional NAS by adopting the most advanced high-speed embedded 500MHz CPU and 128MB DDRII memory. The data sharing and access performance are fully enhanced. Also, QNAP takes the lead in supporting PS3 and Xbox360 DLNA with TS-109 and TS-209 series. This further enriches the functions of the All-in-one NAS series, which already support BT download, PHP MySQL& SQLite supported web server, iTunes music sharing, built-in photo album, etc. It is an excellent choice for digital home users."

About QNAP TS-109 and TS-209 All-in-one NAS Server series
QNAP TS-109 series was released in July 2007. This series adopts high performance hardware design, and supports up to 1TB internal SATA hard drive. The total storage capacity can be expanded to 2TB with an external eSATA or USB drive. With the unique fanless design and aluminum alloy case, the noiseless TS-109 is ideal for operation in digital home environment. Moreover, the power consumption rate of TS-109 is less than 14.4W under normal operation. This energy-saving design enables the server to run 24x7 non stop. TS-109 series supports 12-in-1 complete functions and high transfer performance. It has already received worldwide awards, including "Editor Choice" from Personal Computer World (UK), "Lord of NAS" from Hexus (UK), and "Golden Bear Award" from Bjorn3D (US), etc.

QNAP TS-209 series was released in August 2007. It is the only 2-bay, RAID 1, hot-swappable NAS model in the current SOHO NAS market. With 12-in-1 functions, the maximum storage capacity supported is 2TB. TS-209 is an ideal large-storage and high security solution for home, SOHO, and SMB users.

About DLNA
DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) is an organization aiming at establishing a wired and wireless interoperable network of computers, consumer electronics, and mobile devices. With QNAP DLNA function, the multimedia contents saved on the NAS can be played seamlessly on the TV or Hi-Fi system via DLNA compliant digital media player, PS3, or Xbox360 game consoles.

Applications and Operation
For the information of using QNAP TS-109 or TS-209 with PlayStation3 or Xbox360, please refer to the product details on the QNAP website http://www.qnap.com/images/products/Application/TS109AP08.htm or visit QNAP official forum http://forum.qnap.com.

Now let's see Sony update the PS3 firmware to use the gigabit port + NAS server as secondary storage. :cool:

If necessary, it can still use the built-in WiFi separately for online app access (e.g., network gaming, web browsing, ...)

EDIT:
Missed this embedded link in the press release:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why thats cool! However I have a D-link nas that I have been able to stream music/pic/video to my xbox360 using a 3rd part app running on the NAS. But still very neat stuff!

Yes ! They are both using DLNA (or may be SMB also for Xbox 360 ?). We should see better DLNA server software over time. QNAP simply packages more software into an inexpensive solution (Another 1 Tb NAS brand was $500 last month).

I hope Sony and these NAS vendors polish their UI more. What's also lacking is a server search function (e.g., accessible via the web browser ?), and more format support.

As I mentioned above, enhanced gigabit software can enable PS3 to use the NAS as a HDD (instead of via high level DLNA protocol). That way, I can also save, cache/play, backup games, record PVR videos on it, and don't have to upgrade the built-in HDD anymore. The built-in drive is still good for storing critical system/account data or performing firmware upgrade. This is purely my hope. Sony did not announce anything in this area.

EDIT: Coupled with RemotePlay and you can see why I have been tracking this with much enthusiasm. I need the built-in iTunes NAS server too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sony releases a server too.
http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_room/consumer/home_audio_video/release/31274.html
SONY ORGANIZES DIGITAL WORLD WITH HOME ENTERTAINMENT SERVER

Device Features 500GB Hard Drive, 200 Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Changer

DENVER (CEDIA Booth #600), Sept. 5, 2007 - Sony Electronics today unveiled an innovative solution for organizing personal collections of digital movies, music and photos in a stand-alone device called the HES-V1000 Home Entertainment Server.

The unit features a full HD 1080p 200-disc Blu-ray Disc™/DVD/CD changer (196 12cm BD/DVD/CDs and four 8cm BD/DVDs) and 500GB hard disc drive that can store up to 137 hours of video, 40,000 songs or 20,000 digital photos. Additionally, the device is Sony’s first Blu-ray Disc-capable component other than a VAIO® notebook or optical PC drive that can burn content to Blu-ray Discs, as well as DVDs.

The HES-V1000 system can play back music stored on the hard disk drive. It has the ability to wirelessly stream music throughout the home with a router to other devices, including Sony’s CPF-IX001 wireless music player and other Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA)-compatible wireless devices, such as PLAYSTATION® 3 (PS3) videogame console and select VAIO notebook computers. The system can register up to ten devices with four independent audio streams.

World's first? I can buy these for some time now:

Buffalo Linkstation Live (german, but you can spot the keywords)

That's right ! Buffalo Linkstation (1 Tb) is the brand I mentioned above. I am waiting for price to fall further :)

one said:

It would be great if HES-V1000 can take PS3 game discs also, so the users don't have to swap disc in and out of PS3 to play any of them.

The price ($3,500) is too high for me.

They should introduce another low- or mid-end model:
Drop the BD disc changer and lower the price point to sub $500. Add the Cell processor to index and search the images, music and video on-the-fly. Add sync'ing to iPod, iPhone and PSP. If they can do the ingest and search function well, it should sell.

Most of these multimedia systems choked on some media and cannot deal with a large library effective.

Back