"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

Why are we still dealing with stuff like this even in the great Crysis 3? Wasn't tessellation introduced to clean up this sort of mess? :cry:

wexXQBM.png

I have no idea about the set poly counts here, but I can tell you that we had characters with 500-900 thousand polygons on our last project. Only, that is before rendering, when the meshes are subdivided for displacement.

Still, 30 million is a lot.

Could just be the 720p res but that video did not look 30million polys by any means. I suppose if they pull back the camera to the cloud maybe it would become more obvious?

Cig has been using 290s mostly in crossfire to show off the game in the past. Watching the video you can see thier rig struggle to render it

Could just be the 720p res but that video did not look 30million polys by any means. I suppose if they pull back the camera to the cloud maybe it would become more obvious?

A much better video,
http://youtu.be/o-xvCg8CI9U?t=2m17s

There's no way of specifying, but i can say it's got mega detail. modeled catwalks, power plaints, ventilation shafts with fans, modeled incisions on the flooring and walls, all the way down to nuts and bolts modeled on location. looks pretty convincing.

Alien Isolation also has a LOT of geometry, all the bevels and panel details are actually modeled in. Although they don't have too many characters in a scene at any time.

Still, we're finally at a level where this kind of geometry detail is possible. SC can of course push it even further as they're not constrained by any console's performance levels, and they can always add lover LOD meshes for weaker systems (with their budget), but it's still a nice change to see.

However, movie VFX and CG animation are always several orders of magnitudes beyond and ill be for a while. And of course they can add all kinds of fancy stuff on top, cloth and muscle physics, destruction, and so on...

Alien Isolation also has a LOT of geometry, all the bevels and panel details are actually modeled in. Although they don't have too many characters in a scene at any time.

Still, we're finally at a level where this kind of geometry detail is possible. SC can of course push it even further as they're not constrained by any console's performance levels, and they can always add lover LOD meshes for weaker systems (with their budget), but it's still a nice change to see.

However, movie VFX and CG animation are always several orders of magnitudes beyond and ill be for a while. And of course they can add all kinds of fancy stuff on top, cloth and muscle physics, destruction, and so on...

yes, we certainly have come along way to see great visual improvements in games. I still remember when i got to play the original mass effect for the first time. it still holds technical merit for it's extraterrestrials. even my family's family were stoked by the aliens.

I haven't picked up Alien Isolation yet but i will, it too has nice looking detail. my Cousin was a fan of the original movies 20 years ago, i'm sure she will be amazed to see the game in motion.

We can't. It's a remaster, not a remake.

A remaster of a remake

they should have stuck to a remake, and release the original mansion in-game, not parts of it. I still got my fingers grossed for the PC version, no system requirements have been issued. and even if all possibility for a in-game mansion is gone, there still is mods! or at least the hope of mods. :smile2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Uncharted 4 Details

some pretty realistic renders of Nathan taken from Naughty dog's computers.

uc4-drake-1.png

http://static2.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1179/11799911/2753420-uncharted12.jpg

Naughty Dog more or less sticks with their traditional methods of modeling and texturing as well as using alpha channels. Similar to previous installments Uncharted 4's world and characters aim to stick to it's artistically vibrant roots, all textures in UC4 are painted.

Moving on to the main protagonist, Nathan also has a range of 850 facial expressions. adding to this his shirt and even chest hair have motion.
U4shirt.gif

U4collar.gif

.........of course the chest hair is an alpha surface with applied motion. still it adds some depth to the character.

As you can see below, Nathan in UC4 is a lot more modeled from the neck up from UC3. (focusing on more facial detail)
14jb.png

24jb.png

Modeling Nathan Drake UC4, (hair motion explained at 43.20)

Hard to tell the exact numbers. Also, you should still count all the stubble and arm-chest hair polygons as well, they can add up quickly...

Back