"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

Oops that Photobucket bandwidth limit :cry:

Any suggestion for a good free image hosting with no bandwidth limit?

beat_zps3328cd00.jpg

corn_zpsda8e214f.jpg

yoyo_zps3bf6b136.jpg

As for TTT or T4 ( even 5 I would say) the big problem is not the characters polycount, is the lighting, surfaces reflections/speculars, and some intensive alpha effects in some stages, other than that Tekken series on ps2 don't really push that many polygons, Soul calibur III and Virtua Fighter 4 on ps2 ( even downgraded from the original naomi 2 board) push way more polygons for each character than the Tekken series does.

Also background while appear "smaller" on Tekken, sometimes have more things going on them that require extra resources.

Just note that Doa 2 on ps2 has some nice (better) lighting, alpha effects and reflections absent on the Dreamcast version, even though the dreamcast version does looks better imho, essentially becuse cleaner image quality (higher res) and way better textures. So a TTT on Dreamcast would have look different than the ps2 version (sometthing similar to Doa 2 ps2-Dc), worst in some areas, better in others, one thing is sure, a DC version wouldn't be able to replicate some incredible lighting effects on TTT-T4-T5

And now that you mention VF4 and SC 2, what do you think of those games? both could be possible on DC (probably downgraded) with the same engine of it´s PS2 versions?

can you have polycount of the faces in the shenmue passport facial demos ?

I'll see what I can do :)

By The way, cant believe The poly count on jsrf be that low! Cel shading do miracles! On JSR DC The numbers are lower?

I don't Know, but I suppose it should be way lower.

Time for Sword of Bersek Gut's Rage. ( I see the characters are named differently depending on the region so maybe someone is wrong.)

Gatsu/Gut (ガッツ) 3.193 polygons.
GATOU.jpg

Pack 3.010 polygons.
DUENDE.jpg

Balzac 3.574 polygons.
malo.jpg

Rita 2.792 polygons.
rita.jpg

60K polys per car is kinda low for next gen consoles....even for current gen consoles games like Forza and GT5-6 has higher numers...

So Wii U 60k too?

pCARS aims at 64 player races on PC [I drove in several of them both against AI and real people :D [in one race, almost everyone had a different car on Nirburgring]] , most likely that number will also remain high on nextgen consoles.

DC on the other hand has limit of what, 8-12 cars on track?

edit - official announcement that game will have 56 player event on Le Mans track, 24hr race that will be held with REAL-TIME time progression
http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/the-24-hours-of-le-mans-join-project-cars/

I don't understand why 60k for cars is low for next gen. Character models are very often lower than 60k, even Joel from TLOU, and they still work. Even though you have the thread of uncanny valley, it still works. So I'm not sure why you need that many polygons for cars.

I don't understand why 60k for cars is low for next gen. Character models are very often lower than 60k, even Joel from TLOU, and they still work. Even though you have the thread of uncanny valley, it still works. So I'm not sure why you need that many polygons for cars.

Character models are different, you need more polygons for cars. Even GT6 last gen had more poly than this.
The dashboard alone requires a vast amount of poly budget to look great.

Why not have enough polygons to make it look smooth then add a bumpmap or something?
That's exactly what they do.

Also keep in mind that (especially for photomode models) developers like to account for the fact that people will move a camera 2 inches from a headlight to snap some pictures.

can you have polycount of the faces in the shenmue passport facial demos ?

Sorry I couldn't extract the full models from Shenmue I. but I could from Shenmue II. I'll give you this instead, hope you like it. :)

(Polycounts are in the images)

Ryo Hazuky

bxv4HG1.jpg

Shenmue Tree

pr3XTEY.jpg

About PC cars 60.000 polys seems low to me, didn't PGR3 featured an average 85,000 poly for the cars? I'd swear this info is posted in the first page of this thread.

1080p at sixy fps with all cars on screen(the amount of cars in a race at once in Project cars is much much higher than driveclub) and high pc equivalent fidelity will have them prioritize that. The high setting was the closest to the ps4 and xbox one's limit for providing a smooth and consistent 60fps, and 1080p for the ps4's case, so they chose that. its not something special.

I'm glad they went with the second best solution

thank you.

the facial models are not on the shenmue 1 GDROM, but on a seperate GD called shenmue passeport which was sold with the game, maybe you don't have this one ?

PGR3 had only 8 cars on track i believe, and 30fps.

they could do the same as forza 4 and let you drive the full polygonal model of ultra PC when racing in time trial with no other car on track.

The 60k LODs for the console version of Project cars are used for the racing mode; but this does not mean that the 300k LOD couldn't appear in any other mode, or for something like a garage. Both consoles are more than capable of handling 1 million polygon cars under the optimal conditions.

Back