"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

Holy shit, I see it now!! he looks like one of the Assasins' Creed characters :D :D :D
Is it really the same polygon model?????

Yeah, both games are in the same universe, and Aiden is a direct descendent of one of the Assassins. All the ctOS stuff is the templar's idea.

Hi everyone, I am a new user here and english is not my native language so please be kind with me.

I've been lurking B3D for a long time but I decided to register finally ( in fact I had an account but I never activated it lol)

Let's go to the deal, I've been playing Sports Jam for the Dreamcast and this character appeared on screen.

normal-1_zpsb495218c.jpg

bdlhqo.gif

The first thing I thought it was some kind of GCI but the fact that this is running at 60 fps made me doubt about it so I decided to try it on an emulator at higher res so to be sure, and yes it is rendered in real time.

Using 3D ripper I've been able to dump the character model and here are the results, I don't Know how accurate this program is though.

wire-sin-sombra_zpsbb543ab8.jpg~original

Character +mic =17.183 polygons.

wire-con-sombra_zpse98c8443.jpg~original

Character+mic+Shadow=18.357 polygons.

Close up view.

close-up_zpsbc3eede3.jpg~original

I am absolutely certain that this is the highest polycount a character received on the Dreamcast.

Does anyone know polycounts of Dreamcast game characters/stages?

Maybe in Shenmue 2, Soul Calibur, Test Drive Le Mans, Sonic Adventure 2, RE Code Veronica?

Does anyone know polycounts of Dreamcast game characters/stages?

Maybe in Shenmue 2, Soul Calibur, Test Drive Le Mans, Sonic Adventure 2, RE Code Veronica?

Using 3D ripper you can rip 3D data from games ( using NullDc) and extract character models so you can see the polycount, I don't know how accurate this is though.

I would swear I posted something about this on this exact topic few days ago, maybe I didn't submitted the post

Hi everyone, I am a new user here and english is not my native language so please be kind with me.

I've been lurking B3D for a long time but I decided to register finally ( in fact I had an account but I never activated it lol)

Let's go to the deal, I've been playing Sports Jam for the Dreamcast and this character appeared on screen.

normal-1_zpsb495218c.jpg

bdlhqo.gif

The first thing I thought it was some kind of GCI but the fact that this is running at 60 fps made me doubt about it so I decided to try it on an emulator at higher res so to be sure, and yes it is rendered in real time.

Using 3D ripper I've been able to dump the character model and here are the results, I don't Know how accurate this program is though.

wire-sin-sombra_zpsbb543ab8.jpg~original

Character +mic =17.183 polygons.

wire-con-sombra_zpse98c8443.jpg~original

Character+mic+Shadow=18.357 polygons.

Close up view.

close-up_zpsbc3eede3.jpg~original

I am absolutely certain that this is the highest polycount a character received on the Dreamcast.
I remember this one. He made an impression to me too

never seen or heard of that game, but that is some interesting information. animations aren't too bad either for a 15 year old console. though, i don't doubt that the console couldn't handle such a character.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

under optimal conditions any hardware can be focused to muster all of it's resources for a specific render. It's all neat stuff but it's not to hard to see the reason behind it.

I think that was probably the most geometry dense character with the best facial features on the console.
This was a 60fps game. But the environment when this character was rendered was almost completely empty.
The DC never managed to prove it was capable of featuring such detailed models with full featured environments, but then again we never saw the console being pushed till the end. The polygon numbers are last gen territory too which makes it even more unlikely

I think that was probably the most geometry dense character with the best facial features on the console.
This was a 60fps game. But the environment when this character was rendered was almost completely empty.
The DC never managed to prove it was capable of featuring such detailed models with full featured environments, but then again we never saw the console being pushed till the end. The polygon numbers are last gen territory too which makes it even more unlikely

I still think the Shenmue face demos look better, but this was at 60 fps....

What a deep first post! Be welcome friend, and about english, this is the internet, you can safely bet a bunch of people here aren't native speakers either (me for exemple haha) and few people still pick on people for silly mistakes because I believe its already pretty well understood by most that english language websites are used internationally at this point.

Do you guys think that multiplattform games of the late 128 bit gen (like Medal of Honor Frontline, NFS Underground, Prince of Persia) or PSP games (like NFS Carbon Own the City, COD: Roads to Victory, etc) could be achieved by DC hardware?

The Dreamcast, Ps2, GC and amazingly even the OG Xbox are considered the 128 bit era.
The only time I actually saw that term used was on the boxes of those systems when you bought them used at EB games.

Yeah in those days, the PS2 era consoles were all marketed as 128 bit consoles, more to differentiate them from the older gen than for any technical reason.

What a deep first post! Be welcome friend, and about english, this is the internet, you can safely bet a bunch of people here aren't native speakers either (me for exemple haha) and few people still pick on people for silly mistakes because I believe its already pretty well understood by most that english language websites are used internationally at this point.

Thak you :D

Do you guys think that multiplattform games of the late 128 bit gen (like Medal of Honor Frontline, NFS Underground, Prince of Persia) or PSP games (like NFS Carbon Own the City, COD: Roads to Victory, etc) could be achieved by DC hardware?

Sadly not in the same way those games were intended I am afraid, compromises would have been to be done to fit those games on the Dreamcast hardware especially on polycount and post processing effects. Games like NFS Underground rely heavily on post processing effects, lens flare, reflections, blur, etc.

But bear in mind that games like Tony Hawk 4 were ported to the PSX or Sonic Unleashed to the PS2, and the difference between those consoles and the original versions those games were running on is way greater than the difference between the DC and the Ps2,GC Xbox.

In short, yes, all those games could have been on the Dreamcast imho, and we will never know how far the DC hardware could have been pushed. :(

Most games would have need to be rebuild from the ground up for the Dreamcast hardware though, normally the ps2 was the leader platform and then the code was ported to the other consoles, resulting in some terrific ports like NFS Underground series for Gamecube that looks and performs subpar compared to the Ps2 versions, I guess the game is up and running on the GC just because it is way more powerfull than the ps2 ^^' so imagine how crappy would have been on the DC.

On the other hand I don't see the Dreamcast strugling with psp ports.

And to celebrate Resident Evil HD remaster..

rebecca_zpsd11d1a4b.jpg~original

chris_zpsfd4b51f8.jpg~original

WESKER_zpseb7e7be7.jpg~original

:)

Great posts!

Not trying to nit pick, but you used terrific in a manner that confuses it with the word terrible. They are easy to confuse, though. I hope this helps your learning of the language.

@ EsppiraK

Very good post. speaking of Resident Evil Remake (one of my most favorite remakes of all time, mind everyone.) It seems that Capcom has released some in game renders of the mansion used from the remake.

MOD: 12 MB, 34 megapixel JPEG removed.

MOD: Another 12 MB, 34 megapixel JPEG removed.

These screens were accompanied with a bunch of muddy screenshots as well, which could be of 360/ps3 versions. Is capcom teasing us with what the PC/XB1/ and Ps4 version will be? only time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
they mention character textures and lighting will receive a face lift; which show up in the suspected 360/ps3 screen grabs. they don't specify however if current gen and last gen versions will port with equal or further elevated enhancements.

Looking at the mansion in the newest renders again, it definitely seems to be every bit as the same model that was used for the original remake 13 years ago.

If you look carefully in the original remake at the near top of all of the pillars facing you in the hall of the mansion. you can still see offsets at the texture seems.

(Screen grabs taken from emulation)

image.png

image.png

image.png

Those same offsets are present in the new render.

image.png

and if you look at the new render carefully, you'll also notice that they also sharpened the old textures. which i think may give a harder appearance on the eyes. (well on mine anyways.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back