"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

Maurice the Goblin is made by 67,000 triangles, 40 different shaders, 150 Megabytes of texture data, and can be defined a CG-quality model despite running in real time. He has 388 different bones in his “body”.

I had a feeling he was that much. I still think the old Sorcerer himself is around 80 -100,000 polygons with high quality textures and Subsurface scattering, all that stuff. It looks fantastic, though considering it's still in a controlled space with no real AI, it shouldn't be that difficult to get at least 1 or 2 high rez characters on screen.

The linked article has since increased Maurice's polygon count by an order of magnitude. The presenter in the video does quote 67,000, presumably a misstatement.

He switches into the wire mesh in the video, if there was a mistake by a margin of 6 or 700,000 polygons, he would have saw it from visible evidence. He did state the environment was a million polygons, so it sounds pretty legit to me.

edit - Also If he was basic on the knowledge of polygons and so forth, he would have stated "hundreds of thousands of polygons" and not details like a lot of common PRs do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still taking requests? :p I forget if you had a number on Nicole, Spartan-458 from DOA4... Just curious. :>

Models requests are welcome but there aren't any guarantees. I've checked on DoA4 and there currently are some models though nothing on The female spartan. I'll be on the look out if i find anything.

I'm currently looking for a bunch of models on my own list but nothing picks up. If i got something I'll usually post it.

Yeah, I suspected the numbers of Ryse's characters to be pretty hefty. but we still need real numbers so....

for now partial numbers will do.

Thanks. So for reference, do you have and FF X poly numbers?

All I could find on Final Fantasy X was Tidus (Cutscene LOD) and he was -

Final Fantasy X - Tidus (Cutscene LOD) 7,678 polygons

The Ryse number isn't that far out; our heads are in the 15-20k quads range, that'd mean 30-40k triangles. And we do use subdivision and displacement for the small details so the rendered model is tessellated to millions of triangles...

Hi guy's. I've been following this Topic for about 2 months now and I find it soooo interesting!
But lately I've been trying hard to find out the Polycount for the Soul Calibur Characters and Stages on the Sega Dreamcast.

Strangely, I can't seem to find any info on it anywhere on the internet.
Does anyone have any idea, how many Polys(Quads or Tris) were used for this Soul Calibur game?

I'm interested in the Polycount for the Dreamcast Soul Calibur characters.
And Especially the Poly count for the stages too.
Especially Maxi's Indian Port stage and Nightmares Ostreinsburg Castle.

I was also looking for info, on how they were able to shapeshift and extend Ivy's Snake sword, on the Dreamcast. Including the number of polys used for her Snake sword.
And Inferno's Lava Liquid moving body.

If anyone knows or has any info on this Fighting game, I would be very grateful.

Thanks to all you guy's for posting the Polycounts for many games and Game characters. I really appreciate it guys.

Especially for the Virtua Fighter series and Dead or Alive games.
I'm still shocked Mila from Dead or Alive 5 has so many Tris. "Mila - 40,398?!" For real? Wooah!
I'd never believe Tecmo used so many polys for her character in particular.

Virtua Fighter 5 Background - 100,000 - 300,000?!
Wow! That's gotta be some serious textures used for those stages with such a high polycount.
It makes me wonder of how large the texture sizes for those stages are.

Again, Thanks alot for the Polycount info and keep up the good work guy's.

Hi guy's. I've been following this Topic for about 2 months now and I find it soooo interesting!
But lately I've been trying hard to find out the Polycount for the Soul Calibur Characters and Stages on the Sega Dreamcast.

Strangely, I can't seem to find any info on it anywhere on the internet.
Does anyone have any idea, how many Polys(Quads or Tris) were used for this Soul Calibur game?

I'm interested in the Polycount for the Dreamcast Soul Calibur characters.
And Especially the Poly count for the stages too.
Especially Maxi's Indian Port stage and Nightmares Ostreinsburg Castle.

So far i haven't found anything on the DC version Soul Calibur, There's an HD version of it available but the only characters i keep picking up are Soul Calibur 2, 4, and 5.

I was also looking for info, on how they were able to shapeshift and extend Ivy's Snake sword, on the Dreamcast. Including the number of polys used for her Snake sword.
And Inferno's Lava Liquid moving body.

If anyone knows or has any info on this Fighting game, I would be very grateful.

The sword of Ivy i'm not that sure uses a lot of polygons in any of her titles, most definitely i'm thinking it uses a substantial amount of bones for articulation and retraction.

I can see what's the deal on her if i can spot any of her swords from any of the titles.

I'm still shocked Mila from Dead or Alive 5 has so many Tris. "Mila - 40,398?!" For real? Wooah!

Yeah, the numbers on tecmo's characters are high do to the assets worn and accessories on them. One could say that the assets can share just as many polygons as characters in many other titles. (10-15k)

The reason being why they're so high is to match the high poly aesthetics they have laid out for the characters. (A high poly hat for a high poly character.)

Again, Thanks alot for the Polycount info and keep up the good work guy's.

Sure, it's no prob. My posting of numbers has hit a slope for a while do to the amount of games and the number of extractions done. Whatever games they have to extract and post are the numbers i share.

Back