"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

more assets of halo 4 were extracted some time ago. will post numbers on them when i get a chance. for now i'm linking to some pretty pictures of the assets.

2zO4b

halo%204%20spartan.jpg

2zW13

Nice find. Meryl's model looks pretty good for that era. Are you able to get some polygon numbers for more older games like Chronicles of Riddick, (Xbox), Doom 3, Eternal Darkness and Star Fox Adventures?

Nice find. Meryl's model looks pretty good for that era. Are you able to get some polygon numbers for more older games like Chronicles of Riddick, (Xbox), Doom 3, Eternal Darkness and Star Fox Adventures?

yeah. I'll look out for something of the titles listed if i can spot it.

The last image looks like it got straight out of Guyver

the "Didact" you mean. yeah a few of the concepts from the 4th installment were inspired by manga illustrations.

Some concept art.
knight_concept_HU.jpg

mantis10.jpg

speaking of the "Didact" i have his model with me but the extraction on him is incomplete though.) and not only his model but others too. however for the Didact's mesh though while in it's incomplete state is over 40,000 polygons.

44,026 polygons to be precise.
35k8y2w.jpg

the Didact's head and neck in particular (which are missing) are part of a single mesh which is multiplied as blendshapes. with the head and neck of the Didact it could easily add an other 5-7,000 polygons more.

anyways, the extractors are still working on the stuff. might take within a week or so. in the meantime i got some other meshes and will post them later on today.

Say what you want but the Didact was an awesome looking character.

He looked ok in armour, but like one of the Orc commanders from LOTR without his helmet.
I also think his armour looks too organic in design (like much of the H4 Promethean characters actually) and doesn't suit the ultra clean, geometric Forerunner aesthetic

Ie unlike this Bungie concept:
Forerunner_-_Combat_Suit.png

I was also a bit disappointed with the design of the Forerunner themselves in Halo 4, they look a bit stupid and do not exactly evoke a sense of respect - unlike say the Asari or Turians from Mass Effect.

Also, has Bioshock Infinite been looked at yet? Or is that on the to-do list?

I thought the new art direction was a nice change to the common ideas seen in other shooters. as for some of the concepts, at the picture above if it didn't have a bungie stamp on it i would have mistaken it for a geth from mass effect. so I think it was canned because of that..........not to mention labeling them as "Prometheans" which sound close to the "protheans".

---------------

will share numbers when i can get around to it.

What the hell, Team Ninja.

What do the numbers look like in NG3 for non-hero enemy models that are onscreen multiple times?

there aren't any models in particular out so far on the enemies or NPCs from the game. but from looking at some of the screenshots for the opponents they do look pretty shapely, especially the fiends. if i find anything on them i could share them here.

I love Team Ninja's attention to detail, and I think the dense meshes clearly show when you play the games too. It's just nice when the camera goes for extreme close-ups and yet nothing falls apart.

So when tessellation becomes a real thing next-gen, polygon counts won't be quite so useful anymore since it's unlikely the entire part of a character will be rendered to that level of detail.

For Ayane...it seems to me that they use a lot of polygons for her scarves or whatever that piece of clothing that hangs around her back is called. It's very smooth and moves very smooth as well.

for 60 fps Polygons are cheaper than textures, especially when the console only has 512 mbs of memory. in the same retrospect it's the same with forza and GT with their expensive budgets towards cars over environments.

higher quality textures and normal mapping could have been used for NG's characters but to match the geometry the performance would have been in half. (or be forced to make further compromises.)

So when tessellation becomes a real thing next-gen, polygon counts won't be quite so useful anymore since it's unlikely the entire part of a character will be rendered to that level of detail.

yup.:smile2:

For Ayane...it seems to me that they use a lot of polygons for her scarves or whatever that piece of clothing that hangs around her back is called. It's very smooth and moves very smooth as well.

the scarfs on all of NG's characters do have a lot of polys to them but the wrappings on both of the characters and weapons do make up most of the number. (heads too especially if they have hair.)

I actually believe that Naughty Dog waists more polygons over TeamNinja on their characters....T shirts and jeans generally don't require a lot of polygons not unless thicker folds and bends are in the design, but that too can be done through normal maps.

Back