"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

As of the moment i'm currently busy with MGSR's models. will post a few of them when i can.

Correcting the model for Raiden, 64,018 polygons (without his sword attachment.) 73,483 polygons with. regardless of the huge number, it sucks the model isn't being put to in game use.

Here's a pic.
rwi1ao.jpg

also found a pic of joanna dark from perfect dark zero. will post numbers of it when the model is up for grabs, till then here's the picture.
xkvrs3.png

I think a lot of the PDZ artwork was outsourced to a - now defunct - studio here in Hungary. But I'm not on talking terms with the guy who was the lead on the project, as he's grown to be quite an idiot ;)

Great work cops!Looking forward to seeing the MGSR in-game models.
Just one question, the Raiden cut scene model shots show one in Maya and one in 3D Studio Max.Can you explain this please

I think a lot of the PDZ artwork was outsourced to a - now defunct - studio here in Hungary. But I'm not on talking terms with the guy who was the lead on the project, as he's grown to be quite an idiot ;)

Interesting, Rare studios has been under a lot of scrutiny. maybe it could be from the strangle hold Microsoft has on the company. Though i still have always loved a few of their titles; Kameo was one of my favorites from them of this gen.

Great work cops!Looking forward to seeing the MGSR in-game models.
Just one question, the Raiden cut scene model shots show one in Maya and one in 3D Studio Max.Can you explain this please

yeah, thanks. the two pictures i posted above are captures done by the extractors of the models. I'd give them full credit on the extracting and also the real creators of these models. (konami, Platinumgames, and Rare studios.)

---------------

Polygon numbers for assorted games.

Call Of Duty Black Ops 2 - Harper 18,156 polygons, (24,028 polys with jetpack)
Grand Theft Auto IV - Niko Belic 18,189 polygons
Crysis 3 - Nano suit (console) 21,971 polygons
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Gray fox (in-game) 19,020 polygons
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Raiden (In-game, MGS4 outfit) 20,659 polygons
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Sundowner (in-game) 25,194 polygons
Dead Space 3 - Isaac Clarke (with weapon) 27,408 polygons
Ninja Gaiden 3 : Razor's Edge - Mizuki 32,313 polygons

that's all i got for today, thanks for your support to everyone who find these numbers interesting. till next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Thanks Cops!
Loving the MGSR in game shots.IMO it is a very good game albeit short with some really nice art.
Look forward to more especially the Blade Wolf if you can.
Infact just keep up posting new models from any game.It is very appreciated.:smile:

Hey COPS, that Johanna Dark picture reminded me of Faith from Mirror's Edge.

Any numbers for her?

hmmm, now that you mention it yeah she does. Johanna Dark's model will soon be up for grabs, when i get her i will post her number.

Great Thanks Cops!
Loving the MGSR in game shots.IMO it is a very good game albeit short with some really nice art.
Look forward to more especially the Blade Wolf if you can.
Infact just keep up posting new models from any game.It is very appreciated.:smile:

No problem, all in good time. the collection of models from Metal Gear Rising will soon be done and be up for grabs. (this includes the geko and metal gear ray.)

for now i'm covering some more titles.

---------------------

Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater - Nikolai Sokolov 3,486 polygons
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater - Colonel Volgin 3,985 polygons
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater - Big Boss 4,105 polygons
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater - Ocelot 4,273 polygons
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater - The Boss (Foxhound) 4,275 polygons
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater - The Boss 4,439 polygons
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Prime Minister N'mani 15,068 polygons
Crysis 3 - Psycho 20,430 polygons

that's all for now, till next time. I'll keep you posted on anything new i get.

Thanks for the polygon numbers. I just have a quick question. Why is is that the polygon numbers seem so inflated compared to just eyeing the number of polygons in a model? Like for example, looking at the Big Boss model, I'd say I can "see" only about 500-1000, and yet it says four to eight times as much.

Thanks for the polygon numbers. I just have a quick question. Why is is that the polygon numbers seem so inflated compared to just eyeing the number of polygons in a model? Like for example, looking at the Big Boss model, I'd say I can "see" only about 500-1000, and yet it says four to eight times as much.

you can't really look at a model and make an accurate assumption. but often you will see a majority of polygons found going to their heads, hands and feet. for the ones that have an incredibly high number yet feel less than the target; it's most definitely because of the face (or hair if they have.) or accessories. (or both.)

when you use graphics programs to do the counting EVERYTHING is being counted and rendered. usually when we look at models we pass over the model as a whole overlooking many factors; things we can't see.

A few posts back i also said most of these models are made based on the values and importance of the artists, which is true. many artist will chose how much polys are used in faces over round arms or shoulders; Versus other artist that want more polys for those other factors. FPS and TPS both can also have separate standards for usage.

I hope i answered a lot of your questions and others that could be asking as well.

Thanks, yeah, I guess it's deceptive when just eyeing a model.

yes, very deceptive. I can tell you the truth, when i run these models through my programs i anticipate with a lot of questions of my own. but I've nailed down a majority of the causes that can spring the numbers to go up and whatnot, and i can further dissect if the numbers aren't making any sense to anyone if they like.

---------------------

Tombraider 2013 - Lara Croft (aviatrix outfit) 29,014 polygons
Tombraider 2013 - Lara Croft (with upgrades) 41,245 polygons
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Mistral (In game) 41,185 polygons
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge - Ayane (Towel) 21,499 polygons
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge - Ayane (default outfit with weapons) 106,763 polygons
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge - Ayane (secondary outfit with weapons) 111,483 polygons

-----------------

made an extra picture for Ayane found (here) and here are officail pictures of Ayane's outfits (here) and (here) and also a game play picture of Ayane (here)

that's all i got for today, till next time.

yes, very deceptive. I can tell you the truth, when i run these models through my programs i anticipate with a lot of questions of my own. but I've nailed down a majority of the causes that can spring the numbers to go up and whatnot, and i can further dissect if the numbers aren't making any sense to anyone if they like.

---------------------

Tombraider 2013 - Lara Croft (aviatrix outfit) 29,014 polygons
Tombraider 2013 - Lara Croft (with upgrades) 41,245 polygons
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Mistral (In game) 41,185 polygons
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge - Ayane (Towel) 21,499 polygons
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge - Ayane (default outfit with weapons) 106,763 polygons
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge - Ayane (secondary outfit with weapons) 111,483 polygons

-----------------

made an extra picture for Ayane found (here) and here are officail pictures of Ayane's outfits (here) and (here) and also a game play picture of Ayane (here)

that's all i got for today, till next time.

Wow, those fancy clothes for Ayane use 5x the amount of polygons compared to her model with a... towel :LOL:

I wonder if the 360/PS3 version of Razor Edge will use the same model as the Wii U version. Along with Bayonetta's model in the upcoming game, Ayane may have the highest polygon count for any character model as of now.

Are those Ayane models in game models or cut scene models? The polygon numbers are freakin crazy

Both, there are no lower LODs of any character's from both DOA 5 or Ninja Gaiden 3. I made some snapshots from the razor's edge demo that hit PSN/XBL a few days ago.

(forgive the phone camera shots, it was all i had at the moment to take pics with.)
4kjk43.jpg

wugha1.jpg

29qlg92.jpg

As you can see the polygons being used are going into wrappings, knots, and other rope details on the character; AKA "bells and whistles detail". anyways, she has two swords which doubles the count.

Both, there are no lower LODs of any character's from both DOA 5 or Ninja Gaiden 3. I made some snapshots from the razor's edge demo that hit PSN/XBL a few days ago.

(forgive the phone camera shots, it was all i had at the moment to take pics with.)
4kjk43.jpg

wugha1.jpg

29qlg92.jpg

As you can see the polygons being used are going into wrappings, knots, and other rope details on the character; AKA "bells and whistles detail". anyways, she has two swords which doubles the count.

As technically impressive as having a high-polygon model in-game, is it a bit wasteful to not use lower LOD models for a game like NG in which there can be numerous enemies on-screen along with the protagonist?

As technically impressive as having a high-polygon model in-game, is it a bit wasteful to not use lower LOD models for a game like NG in which there can be numerous enemies on-screen along with the protagonist?

not entirely, raw geometry usually doesn't hinder much on the performance like how textures and shader effects do. and seeing how it's tecmo they have an interest in characters over anything else really. ..if i can recall DOA 1's characters were over 800 polygons in an era when 500 was the tipping point on an average character.

Back